IGNORED

Just a thought

uncledj

I was thinkin' that since Don was forced to cancel this year, ...

Maybe we should have a get-together up at the hunting cabin in North Central PA that weekend. (Search Sinnemahoning, PA)

Cabin has 11 single bunks and a couch, and there's room to set up some tents.

We have all the modern conveniences, including an odor free outhouse....running water with shower and basic kitchen, back porch with a swing and a fire pit.

Trout stream 100' from the porch, ....mountain starts up from the far side of the stream.

The Willows restaurant / bar is 2 miles away....Sinnemahoning Sportsmen's' Club about 4 miles away, and I believe that's the weekend for the Annual Rattlesnake Hunt, which has been a pretty significant event for the area.

Beautiful area to ride.

Penns Cave and Beaver Stadium about an hour and a half away.

Elk viewing area....Straub Brewery about 45 minutes away.

If there's enough folks to make it worth the effort, I'm happy to invite them up for the weekend.

Friday - Sunday.

If interested, lemme know.

20140823_100708.jpg

Uncledj, Reserve a bed for me, I'm in. Wife changed her plans to a dance concert but I'll head north. Sinnemahoning is about 3 hours from me. Let me know details like what you would like me to bring. Looking forward to it. PM to follow. Fitz Just a bump, this post disappeared after I responded to Uncledj.

Edited by dfitzbiz

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that the folks who were bound for MD aren't jumping on it.

It really is a great place. Not as much room for RVs and such, but plenty of room for bikes and tents. It could spill over into the neighbors lots if it had to as I'm on pretty good terms with the ones I see regularly. Rattlesnake hunt would make it interesting, albeit the snake hunt's gotten a bit rowdy over the past few years. Lotsa them unsavory biker types. LOL

Penns Cave has a boat trip through the cave that's pretty cool, and some cool places to eat there in nearby State College. (Campus)

The Zippo Museum in Bradford and Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon are a nice ride to... and worth seeing.

Those who are young enough at heart could even spend the day either floating in place in the river, or do what we do every year and float anywhere from 3 to 11 miles down the river on tubes.....we always have a raft with a cooler full of the good stuff. We keep some tubes in the shed.

There's been a few times I indulged the adult beverages more than I should have while floating down that river. lol

Campfire and some adult beverages, maybe hotdogs cooked on the fire are usually a great way to put the day to bed.

I absolutely love it up there...and plan on spending a lot of time up there when I retire, but I guess it's difficult to engage others in my passion.....just 'cause they dont know.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to put the option out there for those who are looking for another venue since MD is off this year.

:cool10:

Camp Trip 7 25 14 008.jpg

Camp Trip 7 25 14 052.jpg

Wife and I are discussing it now.

Looks like she'd be the only one there of the fairer sex.

She's telling me to go ahead and commit, so I guess I should do it.

Lemme make a quick contact first, see if a pal and his wife (who were planning on going to MD) are going.

Might be a longer ride than they want on an old Honda Shadow 700.

DJ, you have this on the calendar for June 24th ! I thought you were doing this the same weekend as MD would have been. :confused24:

No worries.

It IS the same weekend that MD was scheduled for.

I dunno what happened there.....I'd swear I put the correct date in.

I'll fix it.:confused07:

Drove down to Bryson City NC Thursday night and spent the next couple of days riding steam engines around the Great Smokey Mountains.

Had a great time.

Drove from there up to the cabin Sunday to get the water hooked up, cut the grass and check for any issues with the cabin.

All is good to go.

1509 miles on the tripmeter.

Now we just need a few more folks to join us !!!

Should be an enjoyable weekend.:banana:

Poo.

If I can't get a bit more interest, I may have to cancel.

No biggie ....I just thought some of y'all would have wanted somewhere else to go that weekend that'd be inexpensive (free) to stay.

Seems like most of the folks who wanted to do MD have made other plans.

I'll leave it on the calendar a bit longer just to make sure there isn't any more interest.:whistling:

I was looking forward to the weekend, l really wanted to check out the snake hunt at the club. Looked lime some fun riding too.

I too am surprised there wasn't more interest in your generous offer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is one heck of a great idea and sure wish I could attend. But since MD was cancelled, my daughter in Nova Scotia snagged a good deal on flight tickets, she is going to be flying out to visit with us for a while at that time. I looked at some pictures of the area and it looks like like beautiful country, would have loved to go.

Edited by saddlebum

Gonna have to call it.

I'm going to go ahead and pull it from the calendar.

Apologies to all those who made plans to attend. (By "all those" I mean Wiz)

Maybe we'll try to set this up again sometime, but I'll be going up there at least 3 and maybe 5 times over the course of the Summer, (planned events with friends and work trips) ....and with a 6 hr drive and longer if I'm riding, it's a bit much for such a low turnout.

If anyone is interested in trying again, let me know and if there's enough interest....off the top of my head I'm thinkin' 6 or more takers, I'll try to set it up again.

Thanks to those who were interested....sorry it didn't work out.:Sad_0241:

Couldnt talk the wife into bunkin with 10 guys, she's funny that way, something about sounds and smells?? We were up that way on ride a few years ago during the rattlesnake hunt and couldnt find a room anywhere, so I figured accomadations would be tough. It is a beautiful area and I Thank You for the offer. We talked about just riding up for the day. Try it again.

Craig

Bummer, but that could have been resolved.

There's 2 bedrooms, having 5 bunks each, but there's also a single bunk in a tiny room that's been built as a sort of a mud room between the cabin and back porch.

My niece is a hunter, and when she'd go up with her dad (my brother) he and she would stay in that room.

He would take the bunk, and he had a "rack" , hung on the wall, that he'd set up with a mattress for her.

When she's not there he still uses the bunk so he wouldn't be subjected to any snoring.

Like I mentioned, if a handful of folks are interested, we can try this again sometime.:beer: