IGNORED

Joining The Ranks Of Ambitious 1st Gen Restorers

If you can gently pull the black plastic and blue fairing piece together the screw holes should line up if the fairing isnt to distorted. My bike is in very good cosmetic condition and it still has the broken hole on the black plastic you have there. I think its common. The bike I looked at this morning has both sides broken too.

Yep my holes on the the black plastic is tore I have got the stuff to make repairs I still need to buy epoxy. Little wrench decided to make a track on the living room floor with it..

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife just passed her motorcycle riding/safety class at the Harley-Davidson dealership and now doesn't need to do the skills test to get her motorcycle endorsement. Friday, there was a BBQ celebrating the passing classes (mostly a big sales pitch trying to get a bunch of people to buy into the Harley brand and lifestyle) but there was free food so I was in. We rode together on the Venture and I scraped the pegs for the first time. Probably because I need to adjust the suspension and I'm fat and had a passenger + sharp turn = scraped pegs. I felt very sporty for a second... Anyway, we pulled up to the huge dealer with tons of American steel out front and I wish I had parked right up next to a bunch of Harleys and taken a picture. My blue turd next to a bunch of overpriced noise cannons. Neat thing about the class is it is accredited by the STAR association and teaches a lot of good skills and the students get several hours of ride time with instructors. Their class used 2015 HD Street 500's which are kind of a neat bike. It weighs about 500 lbs and my wife had a hard time picking it up off the kick stand. I am going to try and hunt down a V-star 250 for her if I can. I am super proud of her getting out of her comfort zone and getting started with her own street riding journey.

20170402_122421.jpg

Let me see if I can help.

The rear end is probably what's causing your uneasy feeling in a turn. Put her up on the center stand, grab on to the rear wheel and pull/push side to side. If you get play, your bushings and bearings on the swing arm are dry or gone. It's an easy job, per se, but does take some oomph and a proper sized socket. Torque wrenches are your friend!

BTW, when she is on the center stand, take some tie downs and run from the stand forward to the engine guard on each side. Tighten. This will allow you to crank on the rear axle to get it off without fear of the scoot rolling forward off the stand.

While you are there, read up in the 1st Gen tech section about taking the rear end apart. It is easy as well...and everything there needs to be checked and greased.

The plastic is also easy. Lots of posts about repairs. In most cases, you can use a non hardening putty like modeling clay and make a mold, then use plastic or thin cardboard to design your part. You can buy ABS black sheets on the internet cheap. I got 3 - 1 foot square 1/8th thick BS sheets from Interstate plastics....you might even have a local shop that has some garbage pieces left over that they will sell for cheap.

I had broken fairing on my left side from a parking lot fall. I took it off, filled with epoxy on both sides, sanded down and then had some paint made to match. Bought a cute little spray gun from Harbor Freight and went to work. My first attempt was not good. Needed more sanding and fairing ...but my second attempt came out pretty good. Got lots of help and advice from the forum members here and encouragement too!

Here are some repair threads>>>

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?126681-Plastic-repair&highlight=plastic+repairs

and my adventure with repairing and painting plastic!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119659-Doing-some-repairs-to-89&highlight=plastic+repairs

I'm still in the process of finding and rebuilding the little tabs here and there. I'm now actually enjoying that part of bike ownership!

Most of the bolts and nuts can be found at the local hardware store these days. My ACE and True Value both have a small sizing thingie that I take a bolt or nut in, and put it on the metric side and write down the size. Yamaha uses a simple system for their bolt part numbers. The last digits correspond to the size and length of the bolt. Most are usually .125 (fine) pitch threads. Only one I haven't found is the bolt that goes on the rear master brake cylinder reservoir. They just don't carry that guy.

As far as why your fairing doesn't fly off when running down the freeway? Well...Yamaha did a good job of making that front end slippery to the wind. I still have one tab on the lower right side not repaired and a tie tie holds it in place. Solid at 75mph. But this little tab is on the list regardless!

Hope some of this helps....just be patient searching. Changed your search terms if you don't find what you are looking for. Sometimes I've found myself spending a whole morning following threads, especially the ones at the bottom of the page. They are usually related to what I'm looking for and seem to go on forever. Copy the links onto a notepad page for future research.

Enjoy the scoot!

Edited by videoarizona
add and clarify

I was thinking that something gaudy would distract from the steaming pile the rest of the bike is. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's going to take a lot of work to make it pretty. Right now I'm in the "polishing a turd" phase and hope to soon get it up to "tired and seen some miles" one day it might get all the way up to "decent." The more I look, the more broken tabs and missing fasteners I find... Still not sure how it stays together on the freeway, someone must have used good bubble gum and bailing wire.

You might just think about the option of completely removing all of the plastic and not trying to repair it. I bought my bike after someone had crashed and rolled it - pretty well removing any thought of restoring it. I had intended to strip it down anyway, so all of the smashed plastic wasn't a problem for me. Just thought I should toss that thought out there.

zag

Checking the oil after hitting the starter was a good idea. The oil level dropped from above the sight glass (that's why I thought it was filthy, now it's the normal yellowish tint). So there is too much oil in it but the air filter looks fine. I'm waiting on the oil filter to arrive and will change it all out and put the correct amount in.

Can someone explain to me how the vents are supposed to work? I can't find a switch or anything to open or close them (besides pushing them with my finger) but I can't feel any air flow. Same with the legs, but I can just put my legs out to the sides and cool them down. It gets real toasty hugging the tank! I read about that before but thought it was nice when it was cold. Riding in 70* weather gets unpleasant but not as bad as the upper vents providing 0 air flow. If there isn't something obstructing the vents, I would be tempted to believe that someone removed the ducting. I keep coming up with plenty of reasons to take the fairing apart, guess I can't avoid it for much longer.

Another question. The choke won't stay on unless I hold it. Is there an easy way to fix it? I assume that it's worn out in the handlebar control and friction isn't keeping it in place. I know some bikes you can get away with tightening the controls to increase the friction and that would be nice, I don't look forward to trying to source a new one. What a pain when you start the bike, go and lock up the house and come back to find instead of warming up, it died and I can't let it warm up while I put on my gear :(

Can someone explain to me how the vents are supposed to work? I can't find a switch or anything to open or close them (besides pushing them with my finger) but I can't feel any air flow. Same with the legs, but I can just put my legs out to the sides and cool them down. It gets real toasty hugging the tank! I read about that before but thought it was nice when it was cold. Riding in 70* weather gets unpleasant but not as bad as the upper vents providing 0 air flow. If there isn't something obstructing the vents, I would be tempted to believe that someone removed the ducting. I keep coming up with plenty of reasons to take the fairing apart, guess I can't avoid it for much longer.
The lower vents do not have any ducting per se, the flow is in through the front openings and along the bottom of the side dash fairing then down through an opening in the lower fairing. Any add-on mods using the space below the amp and radios could easily block the flow.

The upper vents do have ducting that may not have been properly connected when reinstalling the left and right dash panels.

Another question. The choke won't stay on unless I hold it. Is there an easy way to fix it? I assume that it's worn out in the handlebar control and friction isn't keeping it in place. I know some bikes you can get away with tightening the controls to increase the friction and that would be nice, I don't look forward to trying to source a new one. What a pain when you start the bike, go and lock up the house and come back to find instead of warming up, it died and I can't let it warm up while I put on my gear :(
One thing that can make the choke lever stiff or springy is lack of lubrication on the inside cable wire. After unhooking the wire at the lever tape a bit of cardboard or plastic around the outside casing and put a small amount of engine oil in it to dribble down the cable.

There is a black tube in the fairing that has a bend in it to make air go down but nothing really there to make the air come out the vents. maybe you could rig something in there to help that out a bit I dont know why they didnt extend the black tube out the bottom of the fairing by maybe an inch.

The best thing to have are the "air wings". Between them and the vents in the lowers and the side covers, I can pretty much be comfortable anywhere, anytime (as long as I am moving).

I am guessing air wings is basically just moving air, aka you riding the bike down the road?

They are adjustable clear plastic panels bolted to the sides of the fairing to direct air around you or on you. They were sold as Ventureline accessories or as aftermarket. One of mine must have hit a bird or a doorway before I bought the bike, because it pulled out the top mount and cracked the upper right fairing. It is patched and reinforced now.

I am guessing air wings is basically just moving air, aka you riding the bike down the road?

I've been looking into them and they are sort of like window vents on old cars. You can use them to block more air when it's cold or turn them the other way to grab more air and funnel it towards you. I haven't found air wings for our ventures but wonder if one of the goldwing models would work.

I was riding yesterday and hit a series of bumps and noticed the instrument bezel flopping around. Think I just found the source of the super loud and annoying sound when I hit a bump just right!

I was able to notice a very very slight breeze from the front vents but it is so insignificant, I can't believe they spent time designing and manufacturing vents at all. I'm going to look into it more and see if I can't make some sort of air scoop for them or find a windshield with vents. It's only 70* and I was sweating a ton in my riding jacket with all of it's ventilation open. S. Idaho will spend many months in 90-105* and I want to enjoy it without sacrificing basic protection. I may have been riding for years but it doesn't take much for something bad to happen and I prefer having my skin on my body. There isn't a helmet law here (unless you are under 18) and I see so many people riding without helmets... saw a guy yesterday wearing slacks and a wool vest and a hipster mustache... no protective gear at all. I can't do it! I've seen so many people get hurt while wearing protection and I can't wrap my mind around not wearing at least basic things.

Sorry for the rant, I will step off of my soap box now.

Does anyone know where I can get some new windshield bolts? I am missing 2 and the others are stripped or rusting. It is a weird fastener but I can probably get away with just using regular bolts, but might have to make a bushing to keep the windshield from moving. So far I haven't had any luck online. Will try and go to Tacoma Screw and see if they can locate something for me. *I just found out it is called a shoulder bolt so that should help track it down.

I changed the clutch fluid yesterday and that stuff was baaaaddd. Picked up a brake bleeder from Harbor Freight and it kind of worked. I need some small clamps to make sure air doesnt get in around the bleeder nipple. It makes it hard to tell if the air bubbles are from a poor seal with the hose or air from the clutch. Ended up doing it the old fashioned way by pumping the clutch and holding it, cracking the bleeder... The hose came off and I got some lovely DOT3 in my eye. Got pissed off and decided to do the brakes later once I get those clamps.

I changed the clutch fluid yesterday and that stuff was baaaaddd. Picked up a brake bleeder from Harbor Freight and it kind of worked. I need some small clamps to make sure air doesnt get in around the bleeder nipple. It makes it hard to tell if the air bubbles are from a poor seal with the hose or air from the clutch. Ended up doing it the old fashioned way by pumping the clutch and holding it, cracking the bleeder... The hose came off and I got some lovely DOT3 in my eye. Got pissed off and decided to do the brakes later once I get those clamps.

Go to Oreily or Autozone maybe even walmart and get there syphon pump its like a couple of dollars and I used the hose from it to bleed my brakes, The sypon pump is not worth the plastic it is made with seemed like it is missing alot but that hose comes in handy for alot of things, also that tiny syphon funnel, works great for the rear master cylinder funnel I trimmed mine down and put it where the bolt goes in and atached then end of my small funnel to it and worked good for auto refill till I accidently dumped it over not paying attention. Just be sure to get the cheap one with clear hose and blue pump thing. I tossed the blue piece after discovering It wouldn't move some fluid I needed to move.

There is a black tube in the fairing that has a bend in it to make air go down but nothing really there to make the air come out the vents. maybe you could rig something in there to help that out a bit I dont know why they didnt extend the black tube out the bottom of the fairing by maybe an inch.
Yah, had a look in my 89 and it had a duct tube in it below the amp and such. My 90 has those pieces missing. If the hole went out the bottom then there would be no cooling effect on the legs from the vent panels.

I was able to notice a very very slight breeze from the front vents but it is so insignificant, I can't believe they spent time designing and manufacturing vents at all. I'm going to look into it more and see if I can't make some sort of air scoop for them or find a windshield with vents. It's only 70* and I was sweating a ton in my riding jacket with all of it's ventilation open. S. Idaho will spend many months in 90-105* and I want to enjoy it without sacrificing basic protection.
I always ride with all the vents open even when it is freezing out. Mainly because I was blasting down the highway one day and one of the upper ones popped out, amazingly, caught it as it bounced down the dash. Removed the vent panels on the side covers because I like the look of the engine peeking through. Have ridden occasionally in 90 F heat and can certainly feel the presence of the engine when stopped but not when riding.

Too much jacket seems to be more likely the cause of your overheating issue. Get a decent mesh jacket and you will be cooler while still being protected. Gotta be aware of dehydration when riding in hot weather. It can sneak up on you because you may not feel hot or be wet because of the air flow.

Yah, had a look in my 89 and it had a duct tube in it below the amp and such. My 90 has those pieces missing. If the hole went out the bottom then there would be no cooling effect on the legs from the vent panels.

On this I was talking about the upperpart where it bends down to the vented fairing. If that piece of plastic would have been extended just a little bit further into the lower fairing or another duct it hooked too to direct it out the vents. I would think there would be better airflow out the vents.

• 3 weeks later...
On this I was talking about the upperpart where it bends down to the vented fairing. If that piece of plastic would have been extended just a little bit further into the lower fairing or another duct it hooked too to direct it out the vents. I would think there would be better airflow out the vents.

After seeing wasps going into the fairing, I pulled it apart to find their nest. I got a look at the vent and ducting and found that they aren't lined up. I can see the turn signals through the vents... couldn't do that if the ducting was attached. With all the broken tabs, everything wiggles too much and causes the vents to shake free.

Weird experience last night. I needed to go to the store in the middle of the night so rode to walmart. Got there right after they closed (1:00 am) and saw some guy in a hoodie running around the parking lot and talking to someone in a car a few rows over. There's a few employee cars in the lot but pretty vacant. I am putting my gear back on and getting ready to leave when he comes walking by about 15 feet away when all the sudden he stops and asks me if the store is closed and what time it was. I finish my helmet, explain the store was closed, gave him the time but he kept walking closer and asking the same thing. He then asks if I would give him a ride to his hotel... I noticed that the car he was talking with had pulled up behind me. Nothing about this is normal, everything screams meth head trying to rob me. I tell him, "nope, but good luck with that" got on the bike and took off. Even if i misunderstood the situation, any hotel he could have been staying at was less than a mile away and if he walked to the store he could walk back.

Plus if he wasn't up to no good, why would he be wearing a hoodie with the hood up on a warm night, keep his hands hidden, run around the parking lot and approach people in the dark like that and keep repeating his questions in an attempt to get closer even though I speak clearly and LOUDLY. I'm just glad my bike starts right up and I could get out of there quickly. Again, maybe I'm paranoid but I lived in California where it was a common practice for crews to work together at traffic lights and box you in and car jack you. Nobody in there right mind was going to try and steal my prized stallion, i mean Venture but could have lost my wallet and phone.

Glad it starts too, glad you didnt have to use force. I live in western SD, its about the most non Californian place in the world. Still a real and growing meth problem, we have a lot of crime for a city under 100k ppl. I just keep my 9 within easy reach and avoid trouble at all costs, I dont even go to town inless I have a very compelling reason. I trust nobody and avoid anything that looks funny. But ask for my bike and the answer will be a resounding no, I figure if a tweaker will bikejack me he is also going to go all GTA5 and put one in my chest, cant let that happen. Glad doing the right thing worked brother.

On the vents, I had to use zip ties on the ducting that rises into the top vents to hold them inward, if not there was too much pull away from the vent assembly making them impossible to assemble or keep together. With the zip ties they went together well and no further problems, it can be tricky to get the vent assy into the ducting correctly but a little fidgiting with a butterknife and they went in ok. Be gentle, I suspect the vent assy is pretty far from indestructible.

Sounds like you handled the situation appropriately. I'm glad you were able to get out of that situation safely. People on drugs get desperate and you don't know what they are capable of doing.

When I was working in Homestead, FL on the night shift I stopped at the Walmart around 7:00 am. Not many people were there and I usually park way out away from everybody. There wasn't another vehicle within 15 spaces from me. When I came back to my truck, a guy driving an old car parked one spot away from me and rolled down the passenger window and looked me over. I kept an eye on the guy while I put my bags in the truck while trying to psych myself up for what I might have to do, which was to pull my Ruger .380 out of my pocket holster. But after looking me over for a while, he rolled up his window and went into Walmart. No way to know what he was thinking but I'm sure it wasn't legal. He might have been thinking about asking me I wanted a home theater system like what happened to my wife also while she was in Homestead. She had stopped at a strip mall and when she came out two Hispanics in a beat up old car asked her if she would like to buy a home theater system cheap. She ignored them and got into the truck and drove away. Burglary occurred so much there that all the decent homes or apartments were in a guarded fenced area. One of the plant workers was mowing his grass on Saturday and a car pulled up to the curb. A guy got out, pulled out a gun and demanded his wallet. He took the wallet and drove away.

I tell you I do not trust meth addicts one bit, I know a guy and have known him for sometime he got a temper. I was just informed the other day he indeed cooks, sells, and uses meth..... I have lost so many friends over that stuff. Some are 6 ft under the others I walked away from. That is one of the hardest things to get someone away from... But I would say that is pretty strange and I have had people try to get a ride or whatever and they seemed kind of shady. The last time I gave someone a ride was somene up in Pacific MO and I would not have stopped if I hadn't seen a belly and a kid. It was 100 something that day. Now down here I do try to stop and help but usually they have someone on the way. But I have used my Triple A on someone else to get them home. I wished there was a Way that could stop them from being able to make it.