IGNORED

Bone Spurs

GaryZ

I have been diagnosed with bone spurs in my right knee. There is swelling and pain enough that I am hobbling around with a cane trying to keep weight off the knee. The doc has given me a knee brace and made an appointment for physical therapy. This PT will likely last through the spring and into summer. Pardon me, I am confused as to how excising the knee will help reduce chunks of calcium inside my knee!

Anyone have personal experience with bone spurs? dontknow.gif

Yep... Me too Gary.... Right knee, the cane, and all. I've been fighting with the HMO about doing an arthroscopy. The Doc originally gave me a choice of Cortisone shots or a knee replacement. I said BS because the knee still had padding and not bone on bone osteo-arthritis. I also asked to speak to an orthopedic surgeon about an arthroscopy. Then he told me he had talked to them, and they said I needed to loose weight... More BS... So we're going to war in a few weeks. Here's a link to some info. It's basically an hour out patient procedure.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00109

I have been diagnosed with bone spurs in my right knee. There is swelling and pain enough that I am hobbling around with a cane trying to keep weight off the knee. The doc has given me a knee brace and made an appointment for physical therapy. This PT will likely last through the spring and into summer. Pardon me, I am confused as to how excising the knee will help reduce chunks of calcium inside my knee!

Anyone have personal experience with bone spurs? https://zzrbikes.com/images/smilies/dontknow.gif

I have had two removed, if you don't keep moving it will lock up.

I can't see you needing a knee replacement for bone spurs. Arthroscopy should do it. I have had both. Arthroscopy is a day surgery, in and out, knee replacement is major surgery and lays you up for a long time. A hip replacement is a piece of cake in comparison.

I have had bone spurs in my foot... They never wanted to remove them?:think: Still got my big a$$ boot too that I had to wear, never any talk about removing them. Also had something called schinn splints, got arthritis in my knees so does my mom, My mom has had one replaced but they litterally wait till your bones are starting to wear down before you qualify for that surgery. Don't know why they will not allow for preventive maintenance but allow for full on replacement parts.:think:

I have had bone spurs in my foot... They never wanted to remove them?:think: Still got my big a$$ boot too that I had to wear, never any talk about removing them. Also had something called schinn splints, got arthritis in my knees so does my mom, My mom has had one replaced but they litterally wait till your bones are starting to wear down before you qualify for that surgery. Don't know why they will not allow for preventive maintenance but allow for full on replacement parts.:think:

Because it is more money for them. They would rather replace a pare than fix it.

A little add on to my above post. Because of the pain, I decided to give glucosamine tablets a shot. Plus picked up a Tommy Copper compression knee sleeve. I'm not sure which one helps the most with the pain, but at least they're working. The sleeve gives a sort of instant relief and the glucosamine seems to be working over the long run. At least I can get buy without the cane for short walks. For the long treks around gun shows or sportsmans expos it's definately cane or walking stick time or I'm crippled up by the end of the day. For the state fair it's going to be the mobility scooter. I have one that I bought for the wife before she past.. never thought I'd be using it...??

Preventive maintenance is something you do to prolong life of something. The insurance companies are hoping that you will die of something quick before they have to lay out big money for something. Once you reach a certain age you are more expensive than the premiums that you are paying in. Insurance companies do not like that.

Preventive maintenance is something you do to prolong life of something. The insurance companies are hoping that you will die of something quick before they have to lay out big money for something. Once you reach a certain age you are more expensive than the premiums that you are paying in. Insurance companies do not like that.

:sign yeah that:

I have a strange one with the bone thing. Where all the bones in my foot were broke right behind my toes when they healed the bone just kept growing. Now I have a lump in there to walk on. Not fun. That leg needs a chain saw about the knee.:Avatars_Gee_George: The knee is fine but the rest......

My knee pain has been getting better for the last couple of days. I think by taking Ibuprofen regularly (for the inflammation) and staying off my feet as much as possible has helped. I have been walking with a cane or crutches most of the time.

I had my first physical therapy appointment today. The therapist was a young lady going to school and doing her "rotation" at this office. She asked a bunch of questions, checked the knee (cold hands!) and watched me limp around. I asked her the big question; Is PT going to help bone spurs? Her answer was surprisingly good. She said her observations were that there is swelling, and obviously I have pain. But, she thinks that bone spurs may not be the problem. Although we do not know why the knee started acting up, she observed that I was not extending my leg fully when walking and this was putting strain on my knee joint. This was true. I have been favoring the knee for about a month. I could have been causing the extended inflammation.

With me laying on my back she measured the distance from the back of my legs to the examining table; the good one was 3mm (target is less than 5), the bad one was 12mm! She slowly massaged and moved the knee around and got it down to 6mm. She showed me how to properly walk with a cane and insisted that I fully extend my knee for every step. The difference was very noticeable. I am walking around the house without a cane and the pain is below "5".

At this point I am willing to give the PT a chance.