IGNORED

Users of berrymans chemtool??

A few folks have recommended Berrymans Chemtool for what I'm hoping is a simple stuck float...unfortunately I looked up the product online and found numerous horror stories about how it ate holes through the bike and the garage floor like the Alien's blood in the movie. I'm looking for some of you guys that have actually used the stuff on your Venture and wondering what sort of results you've had. I started with Seafoam and I think I has actually dislodgd some debris and now the float is sticking....anyone like love/hate the stuff?

Thanks in advance....your help so far on my VR journey has been great!

The Berrymans is a lot stronger solvent than Seafoam. I suppose it could do damage if you poured it in straight up and then left it sit for a long time.

I use Seafoam for normal maintenance and Berrymans for a specific issue. but I do not let the Berrymans sit indefinitely. No it will not eat holes in the bike and garage floor on contact like the aliens blood.

Neither is likely to dislodge a chunk of something that is stuck in the float valve. They are both used to clean deposits.

For a stuck float I would use the procedure that Skydoc posted. I'll see if I can find it.

Or at least open the drain on the stuck carb fully, then with the drain hose in a clean glass container. run the fuel pump a bunch of times and see if you can flush the crud thru. You maya or may not be able to see it in the glass jar, a pretty small piece of crud can cause the float valve to leak.

If there is crud getting thru, you may be past due for a new fuel filter. It is also that the old rubber lines are breaking down on the inside from old age.

I ran Berryman's in Big Red every tank at a rate of approx 1oz per gallon for 4 years. Actually, I just poured in about 1/4 can each fillup (15oz can). I did this for over 4 years.

I've had the carbs off and apart several times... valve adjustment, 2nd gear repair, twinkie leak, etc. and never a drop of water, never a stuck float, never a spec of grunge in the float bows. He always started, ran like a scalded dog and got consistent 40-ish mpg. I never had any deterioration of the carb seals etc.

One other note... performance was better with it in the gas than when I didn't have any to put in. I think it supercharges the gas or replaces something that is missing in today's gas.

But, Berryman's is really strong stuff. It even states on the can to not drip it on the paint because it will immediately remove paint. And I'm certain it will.

I ran Berryman's in Big Red every tank at a rate of approx 1oz per gallon for 4 years. Actually, I just poured in about 1/4 can each fillup (15oz can). I did this for over 4 years.

I've had the carbs off and apart several times... valve adjustment, 2nd gear repair, twinkie leak, etc. and never a drop of water, never a stuck float, never a spec of grunge in the float bows. He always started, ran like a scalded dog and got consistent 40-ish mpg. I never had any deterioration of the carb seals etc.

One other note... performance was better with it in the gas than when I didn't have any to put in. I think it supercharges the gas or replaces something that is missing in today's gas.

But, Berryman's is really strong stuff. It even states on the can to not drip it on the paint because it will immediately remove paint. And I'm certain it will.

So, yah missing Big Red!??

TRhe thing with Berrymans is with long term exposure, i.e. soaking for several days, can indeed dissolve some materials and do damage...

This is why I followed the instructions to a T, I know it will eat the rubber in the carbs, that is why you want to get gas back in it ASAP!! At least I did even tho I put it up for a couple months. I also use Non Ethanol Fuel only... with the 2 shots suggested by Skydoc? Whoever owns the shop on the east coast.

TRhe thing with Berrymans is with long term exposure, i.e. soaking for several days, can indeed dissolve some materials and do damage...

I wouldn't fill the carbs up with it and let it sit. I'm sure it would cause great damage but an oz per gallon is nothing to worry about. I have had it sit for a couple of months at a time with Berryman's in the gas. ¡No problema!

Opinions vary...

I did the carb clean a while back when I was chasing that nasty gremlin causing the odd miss. Also learned hard way use safety Google's, I had a pay of old glasses on and that crap got in my eyes. Got the colortune Monday set the mixture screws and checked with my awesome new gauges. I believe this set won't be a one hit wonder. And I I thought it ran good before wowzrr what a difference a good tune makes... As far as sync they were not far off. As long as I can afford too and premium contains no ethanol that's what my vehicles get. After rebuilding the carbs on the 74 ford and them being a pita and seeing what ethanol did to that carb... I won't never put it in a carburated motor again..

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

The ethonal stuff aint terrible on carb stuff, IF your running fuel thru regularly. A shot of sea foam or Berrymans dont hurt nothi g either. But let the ethonal sit awhile. Because of the alcohol content it attracts and envelops moisture. Even with the FI on the Vic I put berrymans in every couple tanks.

I've used it a few times with no issues. I wouldn't want to leave it sitting straight-no-chaser in your carbs for a while because it would do some serious home wrecking. But for a quick clean it'd be okay, and as a fuel treatment it's great. When I first got my bike it cleared up some rough running in a heartbeat. Had good luck with it on other vehicles as well.

The carb on my truck looked like some dumped molasses in it. The carbs on the bike looked the same way. Just not as bad. I don't know if ethanol had anything to do with the tank rust...

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

I vote yes, ethanol draws moisture. I know some folks dont mind it but I hate it and avoid it at all costs. Not only does it draw moisture but has less energy than pure gasoline, I notice a slight drop in power and MPG with ethanol. My Car and Samurai are both EFI engines so they can deal with it ok but the bikes dont like it, especially if one has to sit while I work or am OOT. If your thinking of putting ethanol tainted fuel in a mower, line trimmer or saw let me just save you the expense now. DONT DO IT!

Ethanol is the wrong answer to the right question.

A few folks have recommended Berrymans Chemtool for what I'm hoping is a simple stuck float...unfortunately I looked up the product online and found numerous horror stories about how it ate holes through the bike and the garage floor like the Alien's blood in the movie. I'm looking for some of you guys that have actually used the stuff on your Venture and wondering what sort of results you've had. I started with Seafoam and I think I has actually dislodgd some debris and now the float is sticking....anyone like love/hate the stuff?

Thanks in advance....your help so far on my VR journey has been great!

I have been using Berryman's for nearly 20 years to clean carbs on the Venture. I have never heard of anything like you are referring to and I have never had any damage. I first heard about it from the Bench Wrench section in the old Venture Touring Society magazine Venture Roads.