IGNORED

Diesel Truck Battery ?

GolfVenture

Anyone with a 92 Dodge Diesel, what your battery recommendations are?

I have a 1992 Dodge ¾ Ton Cummings Diesel and needs a new battery and it only has one battery.

The dead battery is an ARMOR PLATE AP31AXHD 1000.

I was told this battery has 1000 Cranking Power.

I find it online but the shipping cost is too much.

I can’t seem to find a local dealer that has this battery or one with 1000 Crank Power.

This is my 1st used Diesel truck and my first diesel battery issue.

Could someone give me the scoop as to why the 1000 rated cranking power?

Dodge dealer has a battery for it but only has 700 cranking power

O’Reilys rated at 750

AutoZone rated at 850

Costco rated at 800

Home Depot rated at 900.

Try checking out some of the big rig shops like Kenworth, Volvo, Frieghtliner or Western star etc.. The higher the cranking amps or CCA as it is referred to, the more cranking power and longer cranking time you have. You can even go with a higher CCA if you like as long as the battery physically fits. Most common is 950 CCA and that may well be good enough but I always recommend bigger if you can get it. Just dont go less than 950 CCA.

Neighbor and really good buddy of mine (rides a 2010 Ultra that I helped build - fellow gearhead all the way!!) is a Semi owner/operator that also does most of his own upkeep work on his Semi Tractor.. Not absolutely positive GnV but I think he gets his batteries for his "truck" from or thru Sam's Club.. Might be worth a phone call to em.. He updates em on a regular maintenance schedule and he gave me a couple of left overs to use for the lectric trolling motor on my lil bass boat - almost sure he said they came from Sam's some how..

Hehehehehjehehe!!!

I've been in Wausau in January back in the60's before Global Warming kicked in! Step outside and your nostrils immediately snap shut! If you could measure the time in microseconds you could probably determine the exact temperature...

My wife is from desert country in Mexico. I like to think I'm rather awesome that I got her to stay here with me...:scratchchin:

• 1 year later...

I have recently spent a lot of time trying to learn something about batteries.Im only on week 1 with my new Duracell Batteries they were only $105 bucks each! I have had a Duracell from Sams Club in my wifes Sante Fe for about 2 years and I have not had any issues, the car starts right up even when its 10 degrees outside!! As for the truck I love them so far, truck fires up a lot faster then it uses and for the price, I couldn't find anything that gets close in my area.

If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living.

All the best,Nave mechanicguide

Edited by na50ve

Anyone with a 92 Dodge Diesel, what your battery recommendations are?

I have a 1992 Dodge ¾ Ton Cummings Diesel and needs a new battery and it only has one battery.

The dead battery is an ARMOR PLATE AP31AXHD 1000.

I was told this battery has 1000 Cranking Power.

I find it online but the shipping cost is too much.

I can’t seem to find a local dealer that has this battery or one with 1000 Crank Power.

This is my 1st used Diesel truck and my first diesel battery issue.

Could someone give me the scoop as to why the 1000 rated cranking power?

Dodge dealer has a battery for it but only has 700 cranking power

O’Reilys rated at 750

AutoZone rated at 850

Costco rated at 800

Home Depot rated at 900.

If you have one in your area try Just Batteries. The company I work for uses them exclusively for all our vehicles including the big diesel haul trucks and diesel F250s, F350s, F450s, F550s, F750s, 2500 and 3500 Chevys.

:farmer:

Edited by Sylvester
Missprint

• 4 weeks later...

I had a powerstroke . I put everstart in they failled. I put two optima yellow top they failed . $400 dollars waisted . thought something was wrong with chargin system changed altenator . glo plug relay thinkin it might be that draining them wasnt those things either. Finally went with interstate workaholic cured all ills made the battery gauge go even higher than when the truck was new and I sold the truck a year ago and they are still good after six years . When I purchased my first cummins used batteries went out bought insterstate they are doing great too.I also have 2 Red Top's https://mechanicguides.com/best-batteries-for-diesel-trucks/ in my truck they are 2 years old. We get very cold weather here I have never had a problem with them. In fact, my wait to start light has always been faster and it cranks faster than the original batteries. I gave a 9 year old red top to my friend with a old Cougar, its still works like new. One of the biggest problems people have with batteries is they don't replace both at the same time. You need matching batteries otherwise one will be pulling more current all the time. I have heard of the people having issues with red tops but it is a misconception, most of those problems were related to poor cables and or grounds. You need at least a 650 cca at low temps, most batteries are rated around 40 degrees.On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic,check out this, I hope its help you.Good Luck