IGNORED

Let Me Introduce Myself...

Arby

My name is Rick, I reside in Manchester Connecticut, (Or as we natives refer to it-Corrupticut.)

I currently own an'07 VTX1300S with 128,7xx miles. Due to an engine problem which would cost big bucks to repair, I'm looking for another bike.

I came across a 1999 Venture (Stock) with 20,000 miles on it, and I have some questions I hope someone here would be good enough to answer.

I just started researching tonight.

20,000 miles seems kinda lite for a tourer-should I be concerned?

The specs state it has 4 carbs. do these have to be "Balanced"? If so, how often?

How hard is it to change the oil & filter?

The reason I ask, I had a friend, can't remember what he rode, but to change the oil filter he had to drop the exhaust.

How 'bout changing spark plugs. I replace 4 plugs on my X in about 10 minutes.

Is there anything I should be aware of, or wary of?

Any additional info or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have more questions the more I look into it.

BTW, I don't type, more like Hunt& Peck, so if we're conversing, please be patient.

Thanks,

Rick

Great reliable bikes. Some have a loud clutch whine so you want to hear it on the road before buying. If it hasn't been ridden much the carbs may need cleaning. Balancing is no big deal.

I'm looking for reliable!

I'm 63, prolly the last bike I'll own.

I'm not really mechanically inclined, aside from changing oil & plugs.

What's the deal with clutch whine?

Is it just annoying, or does it mean there's a problem?

What speed(s) or gear(s) would I likely hear it?

On cool/cold mornings my X has a "Groan" which disappears after it gets good and warm.

Any "challenges" changing the oil, filter, or plugs?

BTW Thanks for responding.

Rick.

Clutch whine is annoying, Some are very loud like the one I ride now 2007, some are not bad like my 2000 which i put 150,000 miles on it I i put a clutch spring in it and a rectifier/ As for changing oil about a 10 minute job. Plug for drain is on bottom of motor like a car and has a soin on filter. you do not have to remove anything. 20,000 miles isn't many miles but you will find all kinds of them like that. The bikre is top heavy at parking lot speeds. I ride about 30,000 miles a year and it is the most comfortable bike I have ridden. vert reliablke bike. Two things, at around 30,000-35,000 miles the clutch may start slipping and will need a better clutch spring installed. About a 45 minute job and you don't have to drain the poil just leave it on kick stand. Also may have ignition switch issues at some point if it has passing lights installed without a relay. Also if you buy you will need to pay the 12 bucks and become a member because the information on here will save you lots of headaches and money. As for the carbs I sync mine about every 50,000 miles or so as needed. Pretty easy if you have a carnb tune, If not plenty on here do and will help you.

As for plugs it takers about an hour to change them. gotta remove dog bones and loosen the tank. not really a big deal.

A few more questions:

Air adjustable shocks-is this a self-contained deal or do I need an air pump?

In reading reviews, it's been stated that 5th gear is overdrive, in another it said a 5th gear for passing.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Does it use regular gas?

What's the difference between a Venture & a Venture S?

And last, for tonite anyway, what DON'T you like about the bike,

and what problems have you had with it?

Thanks again,

Rick

I forgot to ask..would 1999 be considered a second generation?

1999 thru 2013 are the second generation. No major changes during the run. First gen is 83 thru 93.

I don't have a second gen but from reading the forum, I understand that the rear shock failure is one thing to look for. First gen shocks last longer. Also the fuel pumps tend to fail more often than on the first gen. Usually, it seems to be the points. But, it is a very reliable bike. The first gen uses regular fuel so I suspect the second gen does also.

Good questions, many have said other then a few minor quirks they may have these little liquid cooled V4's will take you 300,000. I got the 83 venture which it is 1st gen mkI they 83-85 is the 1st gen mkI the 86-93 is 1st gen mkII. Second gens look like Harley's and My bike will blow it off the road....

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

A few more questions:

In reading reviews, it's been stated that 5th gear is overdrive, in another it said a 5th gear for passing.

Does it use regular gas?

Thanks again,

Rick

Welcome to the group;

I ride a 2006 with 61000 miles on it and I am the 3rd owner of that bike. Specific to your questions:

1. 5th gear is definitely for highway speed. I rarely use it unless I am on a 4 laner. These engines like to run in high revs as opposed to lugging in low revs.

2. Regular gas during season and then high test for end of season leading to storage. Ethanol is the problem when the bike sits for a while. Here High test does not have ethanol. Use Seafoam additive on a regular basis to keep carbs clean.

3. Front and rear shocks have air bladders. Use only a hand pump as you will blow them out with a compressor. I use a zero loss hand pump. The rear shock is known to fail. Look for any amount of excessive oil under or around the shock. You can get affordable aftermarket ones (without air adjustable) or replace with stock unit but will be more expensive.

4. Fuel pumps are using points and these will wear down. I replaced the pump on mine with a new pump, kept and fixed the points on the old one and now I have a spare that I keep in the trunk.

5. Oil and filter change is a 20 min job at the max. Also need to replace the oil in the read differential (pumpkin) at least once a year. Just need to remove one saddlebag to do that.

6. Sluggish handling can be fixed by going to a smaller 130 (instead of the 150) up front. I run Commander II's and they last long. You can also install leveling links in the back to raise the suspension a bit, but for me the 130 did the job.

7. Carbs need to be adjusted regularly, but that does not take long.

8. Valve adjustments however are more involved. The cost is all related to getting to the valves to replace the shims as you need to tear down a good portion of the top of the bike. Easily done, but time demanding. At least 3hrs at my dealer.

Although it does ask for some regular attention I love this bike and have no regrets in getting it. Reg maintenance and attention does come with the deal though.

Good luck with your choice and as was said before, this site is well worth the registration fee. Check out the tech forums and you will see well done articles on all of the maintenance items for this bike.

:group cheers:

I'm looking for reliable!

I'm 63, prolly the last bike I'll own.

I'm not really mechanically inclined, aside from changing oil & plugs.

What's the deal with clutch whine?

Is it just annoying, or does it mean there's a problem?

What speed(s) or gear(s) would I likely hear it?

On cool/cold mornings my X has a "Groan" which disappears after it gets good and warm.

Any "challenges" changing the oil, filter, or plugs?

BTW Thanks for responding.

Rick.

The clutch wine relates to a gear design issue. They use straight cut gears. On some bikes it is move evident than others. I have it a bit on my bike but it usually gets droned out pretty fast by road noise, exhaust and music on the intercom.

A few more questions:

Does it use regular gas?

Thanks again,

Rick

\

To charge the front/rear with air you will need a hand pump or your home compressor regulated way down.

5th gear is way tall and most folks don't shift into 5th till after 50-55mph. These V4's love to rev. If you really want to blow somebody's door off when passing, 4th gear is good for 100mph and 3rd gear is good up to 80mph.

It uses regular gas depending on where you are from and here that means 87 octane.

Venture is standard bike and Venture S is more chrome and chrome fork legs.

I have a 2012 Venture S and it does not seem to whine. For the loudest whine you will ever hear youtube a Honda CTX1300. They are so whiny you can hear them clearly whine, even at idle on all the videos. The worst Venture ever will not sound as bad as a Honda CTX1300. Whine in the Venture comes from the straight cut gears from crank to clutch. Think of it as a dump-truck transmission and just as bullet proof.

Mine gets so-so gas mileage as I live in Texas and I am doing 75mph just backing out of my driveway. I can bury the speedometer easily and pass everything but a gas station. Decent range for me is 170 miles per tank before I start worrying about refueling.

Slow speed handling can be improved by going to a 130/90 front tire.

Carb balance is easy if you have a set of gauges, which you should get a set of.

Valve adjustment is the only major pain in the a$$ every 26,000 miles as you pretty much have to take everything off the bike to get to the valves. Most folks have found after taking everything apart that no valves require Adjustment. One high mileage rider here @PUC does not even bother checking the valves and he is wearing out his 5th Venture now averaging 250,000 plus miles per bike.

There is not much to NOT like about the bike. In comparison to other bikes it is pretty much maintenance free and bullet proof.

Problems:

Clutch:

1. I would not call this a problem but just the nature of the beast. The clutch slave is direct mounted to the hot engine and as a result the clutch fluid gets hot. On my bike, usually once a year and sometimes twice, I have to change out the clutch fluid to regain silky smooth shifting and the ability to find neutral without 10 seconds of futzing around. This is about a 20 minute job and only requires new DOT4 fluid, an empty bottle, a length of hose, and a wrench. Total cost about $5.00 or so.

2. Just go ahead and get a stiffer clutch spring from @Skydoc and you will be glad you did.

Radio:

The sound systems on these bikes are iffy and usually require splitting the fairing, cleaning the contacts, applying dielectric grease and replugging in. I have my connectors zip-tied together for maximum vibration resistance.

Good Morning!

First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my questions.

A concern I have is the low miles on it.

The salesman said it has 20,000, the ad says 24,000.

I put 20,000 miles on my X in a year.

http://www.newenglandcyclecenter.net/1999-yamaha-xvz13tfl-inventory.htm?id=1461386&in-stock=1

I didn't spend a lot of time at the dealership, I'm going back today for a closer look.

Good Morning!

First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my questions.

A concern I have is the low miles on it.

The salesman said it has 20,000, the ad says 24,000.

I put 20,000 miles on my X in a year.

http://www.newenglandcyclecenter.net/1999-yamaha-xvz13tfl-inventory.htm?id=1461386&in-stock=1

I didn't spend a lot of time at the dealership, I'm going back today for a closer look.

Don't worry about the miles if it starts and runs smooth. I believe it is priced a little high but the bike is good for another 200,000 miles.

PS I love mine and have put close to 200,000 miles on them between 2 bikes in the last 7 years/ Wont ride anything else

Don't worry about the miles if it starts and runs smooth. I believe it is priced a little high but the bike is good for another 200,000 miles.

PS I love mine and have put close to 200,000 miles on them between 2 bikes in the last 7 years/ Wont ride anything else

Good to hear!

My concern is it either sat or wasn't ridden enough, and

that can cause problems.

Also, from what I remember, the finish, unlike the pics,

looks kinda "Beat". chrome is dull, paint isn't shiny.

I realize it's 18 years old.

We haven't started haggling yet.

Lift the mat in the trunk. Make sure the bottom isn't cracked. The first year had a problem with that. They came out with a modification but a lot of peope never did it. Included large washers and a rubber pad at the rear bottom outside.

I think of this one often. When I'm not around the bike.:bang head: Have never thought to check it. Did you do anything??:think:

Does anyone have a link to a parts fiche for a 99 venture?

I'm trying to figure out where everything is located.

Also, has anyone swapped out their airfilter for a K&N?

Does K&N even make a filter for this bike?

Go to the Technical Section of this forum. Go to the Second gen section. You will find answers to many of your questions.

Yes some owners use K&N filters. And yes this is one of the most reliable bikes ever built.

Mike

PS. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Go to the Technical Section of this forum. Go to the Second gen section. You will find answers to many of your questions.

Yes some owners use K&N filters. And yes this is one of the most reliable bikes ever built.

Mike

PS. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thank you.

1 expense I overlooked...Tires!

What brand do you prefer, and how many miles do you get out of them?

I've been running Metz on my X, I get between 18-20 thousand miles which is about a years worth of riding for me.

I know the Venture weighs more than my X.

If I remember correctly, my X weighs 744Lbs with all fluids.

You will find a few, but very few, fans of the Metzler on this site. There have been too many reports of them delaminating. The consensus here has been Dunlop E3 or E4, Michelin Commander II, or Avon Venom. The Avon Venom was the preferred tire for several years but some, including me, starting having problems with the sidewalls cracking prematurely. As for the mileage, that is all over the place. Some have reported as much as 20,000 on the rear but most of us, I think, get in the 12,000 to 14,000 mile range. More on the fronts either way but those of us in the 12,000 range usually get around 20,000 on the fronts.

If you go to partzilla.com or boats.net (same company) you will find parts fische and be able to order most of the OE parts you need. I don't have a good opinion of K&N filters because every article I've read that compared them to regular paper filters, they don't filter as well.

Edited by BlueSky

1 expense I overlooked...Tires!

What brand do you prefer, and how many miles do you get out of them?

I've been running Metz on my X, I get between 18-20 thousand miles which is about a years worth of riding for me.

I know the Venture weighs more than my X.

If I remember correctly, my X weighs 744Lbs with all fluids.

I have Metz on mine but they are also old. They were bought 3 yrs ago when our powersports company went out of bussisness. The front still has the nipples on it, my rear tire is still good but showing its age. I have noticed there is alot of debate on this subject. I am sure if you search tire threads you are bound to find some. I have seen alot of talk about 3 different brands there is Dunlops, The Avons, and the other escapes me at the moment. Our wonderful Master seems to like E3's I could be wrong. I am guessing the Avon's may be a little cheaper can't remember but there was a debate a couple months ago. Heck there may even be a Tire Poll.

I have Metz on mine but they are also old. They were bought 3 yrs ago when our powersports company went out of bussisness. The front still has the nipples on it, my rear tire is still good but showing its age. I have noticed there is alot of debate on this subject. I am sure if you search tire threads you are bound to find some. I have seen alot of talk about 3 different brands there is Dunlops, The Avons, and the other escapes me at the moment. Our wonderful Master seems to like E3's I could be wrong. I am guessing the Avon's may be a little cheaper can't remember but there was a debate a couple months ago. Heck there may even be a Tire Poll.

Thanks for the hint. :thumbsup2: