IGNORED

Let Me Introduce Myself...

Arby

I cannot imagine a better site/source of knowledge for a specific line of motorcycles. There's also number of "Characters" that keep it interesting here as well!

The manuals are available the "Read Only" section/forum and we have REALLY GREAT wiring diagrams there, too

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?91-Guides-Parts-Diagrams-Etc

​Heather

Edited by yamagrl
typo

Hi Arby and :welcome1: to VR :group cheers:,, glad you found us in your search for your next scoot :thumbsup:.

Your definitely on the right trail looking at these V-4's and, IMHO, getting excellent advice thus far.. Here is a link to a parts fiche for the scoot your looking at: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1999/ROYAL%20STAR%20VENTURE%20-%20XVZ13TFL/parts.html ..

Also, concerning the gear "whine" you have been informed of, if you click on the video below and take a listen from :40 to :46 you will get a small example of what is being talked about. As mentioned, I am currently in process of wearing out #6 of a long history of wearing out Ventures and all of mine have had this whine. All mine have been 83/84 models (MK1's) though, I have never owned a newer model with the bat wing fairing like you are looking at but have heard the whine can be somewhat louder on those models but cannot attest to that. Personally, I relegate that to a good stout straight cut gear set and actually have come to enjoy listening to it sing - kinda like a good gear driven Supercharger if you will:big-grin-emoticon:.

IMHO, the asking price for the scoot your looking at is about average - have seen some for less - some for more. Mileage is about normal for scoots that I have seen around - this place is jam packed with lop eared varmints who, like you, cant even imagine only putting on a couple thou a year but I dont think these folks are "normal", as it were. Easiest way to find out whether its 123,000 or 23,000 is a quick peak at the rotors - a scoot with 23k on it should show only minor wear down there.. Also, maybe check the foot peg rubber and push buttons on the controls for wear.

Regardless of miles, being an older scoot there is a good chance it will be time for carb diaphram replacement. Those are a fairly common issue with older CV carbs. Also maybe take a peek at the bottom of the rear shock for any dampness. I know Mom Yam did an update because of early shock failure. At a minimum I would also start the bike in a dark area (like a garage), let it idle and watch the headlight as I revved it slightly to make sure the headlight brightens a little coming off idle. I dont think the 2nd Gens have a Volt meter on em (the 1st gens like I am used to do) that you can quickly check the charging system with but, a good old school way of testing one is with the headlight.

Maybe also fiddle with the key switch with the bike running to see if you get any abnormalities.. Have also heard of some switch failures out there..

Concerning the valve clearance maintenance schedule. Indeed, as mentioned, I have personally never did it on any of my scoots and have chased them out to well over 200k each (the last one had well over 300k on her before I retired her) BUT - have also been told I probably got dropped on my head as a child so take that for what its worth. If your buying this one from a Dealership, it might not be a bad idea to see if you can work a valve clearance job into the deal - never hurts to ask.

Carb syncing is a piece of cake. On my 1st Gens its about a 20 minute job with the hardest part being getting the tie wraps I use to secure the side covers re-attached:missingtooth:. I have used everything from Morgan Carb tuners, digital syncers, mercury sticks and vac gauges to do mine and am currently using a 100 dollar set of four gauges that I got a ebay a few years ago. The set came with all the attachments for several applications (used to build 750 Honda choppers - the extentions that came with the set are worth they weight in gold for those puppies) and also have built in valves for smoothing out the bounce. Work great IMHO. A good friend of mine I met on the site (known as @mirider ) finally caved and allowed me to do my first 2nd Gen carb sync on his bike named Big Red before he swapped Big Red off for a new Harley TriGlide :missingtooth:.. That was my first 2nd Gen (like you are looking at) I have ever touched, the carbs have different adjustment screw locations and sync a little differently but I gotta say - I think the 2nd Gen is actually a little easier (maybe cause they dont have side covers held on by tie wraps). MiRider told me later that he thought my gauges did a good sync job - think he said his MPG increased substantially and the bike ran a lot better.

As far as fuel grade needs go, one of the really awesome things I have ALWAYS loved about my Ventures is that they always seemed happy with 87 octane = never ever a complaint or ping one.. I have also burned a LOT of 85 octane while cow towning out west - little stand alone pumps out in the middle of no where and only 85 octane available started that - push or try 85 octane = I ride!! Stuff did great even loaded to the gills and two up.

I have gone thru a LOT of tires and have yet to find have a rear go beyond 7k. We ride heavy and in lots of heat so that maybe thats why. Worst wear was Dunlop 404, best was a toss up between Michilind and Metz. I am one of those that had a Metz delaminate toward the end of its life, didnt blow. Had a buddy have the same thing happen only he and his wife had one come apart and blow and caused an accident - wont go back to Metz unless I have to (once again, I would rather ride than walk if at all possible). Have yet to try a dual compound - helped a neighbor with a remount on his Ultra Limited a while ago - tire was just under 250 bucks but he was told 20k no problembo. Lord willing and the creek dont rise, I am gonna try and talk him into a trip across the desert next year with our bikes fully loaded and ladies in tow just to see how those new dual compounds really do perform.. Be worth it if they really will nock down 20k miles on pavement hot enough to melt the bottoms off the tenner shoes - if not, will probably stick with my hundred dollar tires and tire spooning on new ones every so often.

Sorry to hear about your VTX1300 problems - never fun having to retire a faithful steed. I always thought those VTX's were high mileage scoots and heard good things about em. Wanna share about what happened to it? Just by observation and being around a few of them, I wonder if it may have been valve/cam/head issues?

Once again, welcome to VR and all the best in your search for your next bike Arby!

Puc

Cowpuc.. Thank you for all that info! As it happened, I stumbled onto that parts fiche.

I bought my 07 VTX 1300S as a leftover in April 08.

After 128 thousand miles, I either have a head gasket issue or a cracked head.

(I'm no mechanic, that's what the Stealership is telling me.)

Although the oil, when I change it seems normal, I'm starting to smell the bearings.

The dealer wants $1,500 just to pull the motor.

Came across this 99 Venture

http://motorcycles.oodle.com/r_srxx_/4406031163-150p1173,44/www.cycletrader.com___44ub_BewyebyU9wbeE3IumUgUWrgHsPfpqWEBjLGL3yXVp1IGFSvZX9Qz9DvDnWXOhRGOLrZYJKZs-c7hIxIkoMgQsJ81LKz8kYRqyLE3vIIeC0pZrXUmSgbezMd4VoaXtLUjTiYZibQuDt69wdu-A,,

The salesman said it had 20,000 miles, though the ad claims 24,000

I haven't started haggling yet.

Thank you again for all the info.

Rick

Hey Rick

I would go there with $4,200 in hand and offer $3,900. My experience with dealers is they generally will knock off anywhere between $500-$1200 off the top if its cash. I get a kick out of these dealers when they trying to get you into something on payments, I'll knock $2300 off the book value, I will set your payments at $223 for 60 months. For you today I will take $400 off the down payment and have you rolling out of here with $1,299 down. By the time all is said and done your basically been fast talked into the price originally on the car. I will not and refuse to do any sort of payments on anything. My payments are usually repairs and parts.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Venture, or a VTX 1300 with bat wing fairing, Harley hard bags & trunk.

I don't see myself traveling much out of New England.

How does the Venture handle the Twistys?

There are a lot of scenic secondary roads up here, and that's prolly where I'll do most of my riding.

Thank You all for your opinions.

Rick

I decided to go with the Venture... If the price is right. I'll find out tomorrow.

So, questions I have should be posted on the second generation board?

I want to thank all of you who took the time to answer my questions.

• 4 weeks later...