IGNORED

Carquest oil filter 85358

Just a heads up. I have been using "black" car quest oil filters (85358) for several years. Today I went in to get one and I guess they have changed suppliers. They are now white in colour and when I tried to install it I found that it is quite a bit longer and I couldn't use my filter socket to tighten it. So I go to town to buy a strap wrench and although that works, I could only get about a 1/4 turn before coming to a dead stop. Turns out the filter is bottoming on the threaded part before the gasket is tight. I could see a witness mark around the threaded part of the filter when I took it back off.

So tomorrow I'll take it back and complain and hopefully get my money back or exchange it for a black filter if they still have one. Now the hunt begins for another supplier. Of course there's nothing close.

when I tried to install it I found that it is quite a bit longer and I couldn't use my filter socket to tighten it. So I go to town to buy a strap wrench and although that works, I could only get about a 1/4 turn before coming to a dead stop.

Not trying to be critical here, and maybe you have the right touch for installing oil filters, but I have to ask the question, regardless of the make or brand of filter you are using, why are you using a wrench of any type to install the filter. I have always been told that you never use a wrench to install one, and then only hand tight to maybe a 1/4 turn after the gasket engages is sufficient for oil filters. I had a mechanic at a Hyundai dealer ship use a wrench to put a filter on my Santa Fe once, I could not get it off, had to take it back to the dealer to get it removed, after I had a few words with the service manager.

Not saying you cannot use one, just wondering why you are, and of course I know that just using a wrench to install does not mean you are cranking it down jam up and jelly tight, one can do a quarter turn after contact using a wrench also.

just a few years ago the general consensus on this site regarding oil filters was that the Purolator PL14610 was among the top picks. Is that still the case or did I miss something?
Yes, about a year or so ago Purolator changed the design of the filter and now the new style will not bottom out on our bikes. You may have been buying the old style, which does work, but when you get to the new stock ones they will not seat. I'm suspecting that the Carquest filters Gary has been using has OEM'ed over to Purolator...

Don't know, been using Bosch for years!

Problem solved

I took the 85358 back to Car Quest this morning and explained the problem. The parts guy I deal with suggested I try a 85365. He brought one out and guess what. It's black and it's identical in every way to the old 85358 except for the part number.

Not trying to be critical here, and maybe you have the right touch for installing oil filters, but I have to ask the question, regardless of the make or brand of filter you are using, why are you using a wrench of any type to install the filter. I have always been told that you never use a wrench to install one, and then only hand tight to maybe a 1/4 turn after the gasket engages is sufficient for oil filters. I had a mechanic at a Hyundai dealer ship use a wrench to put a filter on my Santa Fe once, I could not get it off, had to take it back to the dealer to get it removed, after I had a few words with the service manager.

Not saying you cannot use one, just wondering why you are, and of course I know that just using a wrench to install does not mean you are cranking it down jam up and jelly tight, one can do a quarter turn after contact using a wrench also.

Well, the topic of this thread is the fact that there was a change in design of an oil filter I've been using for thirteen years. Not my method of installation.

I trained as an apprentice mechanic and started out on the grease rack like most do. Most filters say right on them to tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket touches the mounting surface. NOT 1/4 turn. I guess with dry, clean hands that might be possible (I never wear gloves) but I've always used the right tool for the job at hand and have never had a problem either installing or removing. And I always clean the gasket mounting surface and oil the gasket before installation.

I have encountered filters that I couldn't get off with the normal tools. (Not ones that I have installed.) In that case either a pipe wrench, big channel locks or worse case, a drift punch driven through the filter to work as a pry bar will get it off.

Problem solved

I took the 85358 back to Car Quest this morning and explained the problem. The parts guy I deal with suggested I try a 85365. He brought one out and guess what. It's black and it's identical in every way to the old 85358 except for the part number.

You mean to say in this day and age you found a clerk in an auto parts store that knows his product line and what he is talking about. Will wonders never cease.

Mike

just a few years ago the general consensus on this site regarding oil filters was that the Purolator PL14610 was among the top picks. Is that still the case or did I miss something?

Yes the 14610 has changed its baseplate so it no longer seals. Try a Purolator PL14459, which is what I use.

See here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?101114-Purolator-PL14459-Oil-Filter

Problem solved

What is the bypass pressure of these filters?

• 4 weeks later...
Purolator PL14459. Blue in color now.

That purolator model doesn't work for me anymore. I bought 2 and now I have no use for it since it won't screw in. I recently switched to Bosch Oil Filters and they look like very good quality and a little more expensive.

That purolator model doesn't work for me anymore. I bought 2 and now I have no use for it since it won't screw in. I recently switched to Bosch Oil Filters and they look like very good quality and a little more expensive.

Please re-read. We know the 14610 and 14612 won't work. The 14459's work just fine.