IGNORED

A couple noob questions RE used bike values and Royal vs Venture

There is a 87 standard on cincinnati craigslist right now with 18,000 miles on it located in Bethel, Ohio. Looks nice according to the pics. $1,800.00.

:scared:

Hi Mike!! Long time know have seen!! Still riding that pretty scoot you had down in Goonerville ( @Barrycuda always corrected me when I said that :big-grin-emoticon:),, I mean Guntersville? WOW that was/is gorgeous!! Nice to hear from you brother!!

PS - hope I got the right person :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey I tried that Adhunter and damn first bike that came up is free lol

but its parts only thats just crazy

Yea,, dont cha just LOVE huntin on the Adhuntr!!! :thumbsup:

Now I gotta go see if I can find the free Venture is :crackup:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I tried that Adhunter and damn first bike that came up is free lol

but its parts only thats just crazy

WOW ZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW - found it Snyp!! Got some goodies on it that someone on here would probably appreciate - front bumper, chrome fender skirt, lit rotor covers - even has carbs and probably TCI and all that.. WHAT A DEAL!!! To bad its in Oregon (Eugene) :95:

You gonna try to chase it down? If not,, might not be a bad idea to link it up in our Craigs section:thumbsup: = someone is gonna go nuts and have a great deal!!:thumbsup:

Looks kind of hit n miss on rebuild parts: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042475f8700209bc787e27/crankshaft-piston

Guess those many years of riding these good ol 1st Gens on Michigan Historic Plates has to have some hidden cost :confused24:

I do believe that Sean at Morleys Muscle would have rebuild stuff, or have sources. I got a lot of goodies from him for my Vmax and pretty pleased. I read about him doing some 1300cc vmax engines and other go-fast/rebuild stuff.

Whoever said there are no stupid questions haha.

When I check out a Venture for sale how much of a problem is it if the intercom headsets are not present? I have seen a few ads where its a selling point that those headsets go with the bike. I do plan to use the intercom when riding with wifey.

Are they fairly universal or would I need to find originals?

Im done working Monday and heading to NE to see an 88.

Not a stupid question at all. Headsets are not a big deal at all. There are several brands available on the market. Prices for the lower ends start around $65.00 or so and go over $200.00. These prices are each and you need two of course. More important is that the cables are there to plug them into. If not, they are available also.

Yup! What Don said! it's a standard DIN type setup also used on Goldwings and Harleys! Best bang for the buck IMHO is J&M purchased from Sierra Electronics. Actually I bet there are hardly any of us using "official" Yamaha headsets...

There has to be a factory radio on the bike for it to have an intercom built in, or at least I'm pretty sure no radio, no intercom. Perhaps some owners of Venture Standard models can confirm this. If you end up with a Standard, you can always invest in bluetooth intercoms such as the Scala and be wireless!

Think I still got a couple full set ups somewhere that never did find the need for (they are used though) - will have to do a little digging if someone is interested. I am also pretty sure I have a wireless setup - same deal,, never used em.. Wow,,, just occurred to me,, rode all those miles leaning on the wife or a kid of ours and never found the need for an intercom - says something for the quiteness of the riders space on those great big gorgeous MK1 1st Gens we wore out through the years :big-grin-emoticon:

Yup! What Don said! it's a standard DIN type setup also used on Goldwings and Harleys! Best bang for the buck IMHO is J&M purchased from Sierra Electronics. Actually I bet there are hardly any of us using "official" Yamaha headsets...

There has to be a factory radio on the bike for it to have an intercom built in, or at least I'm pretty sure no radio, no intercom. Perhaps some owners of Venture Standard models can confirm this. If you end up with a Standard, you can always invest in bluetooth intercoms such as the Scala and be wireless!

Confirmed Bongo = factory radio/cassette player contained the intercom.. All non existent on the standard = not so bad though,, especially if you can sing at least as well as Tip n I can :big-grin-emoticon:

I bought a full chatterbox setup in the early 2000s to go from one bike to another. It was a bad use of money aside from several cable failures on a 4000 mile trip. It was ok until about 50 mph when it did work but useless at hwy speeds. Im glad things are pretty stamdard now and with the system already there I have no problem buying decent headsets. Glad its not some obscure unique setup.

Im only looking at 86+ Royales with all functional electronics so im really happy to know that its standard plug and play stuff. I would assume that something purchased today would be superior to a 30 yr old headset. Im getting excited, hope I find one soon. The one I'm looking at next week is supposed to have everything working except cruise, but comes with a.replacement cruise module brainbox thingly from a parts bike. I may take the parts bike to if its all still there when im done working, I think they want an additional 200/for that.

Thanks again for the great info folks!

Very happy with my J&M headsets. Have them on both Ventures. Both 5 pin DIN. Helmet goes back and forth with no issues. I think the HD's use the 7 pin version and do believe Bongo is right...the Honda's are 5 pin as well. I like being able to take my MP3's with me on both bikes as well.

So yep...either 1st gen or 2nd gen...good compatibility across the board.

I bought a full chatterbox setup in the early 2000s to go from one bike to another. It was a bad use of money aside from several cable failures on a 4000 mile trip. It was ok until about 50 mph when it did work but useless at hwy speeds. Im glad things are pretty stamdard now and with the system already there I have no problem buying decent headsets. Glad its not some obscure unique setup.

Im only looking at 86+ Royales with all functional electronics so im really happy to know that its standard plug and play stuff. I would assume that something purchased today would be superior to a 30 yr old headset. Im getting excited, hope I find one soon. The one I'm looking at next week is supposed to have everything working except cruise, but comes with a.replacement cruise module brainbox thingly from a parts bike. I may take the parts bike to if its all still there when im done working, I think they want an additional 200/for that.

Thanks again for the great info folks!

Totally tracking with ya Casey = may as well get new:thumbsup:!! The stuff I have is all old Honda Line stuff - came in their original boxes and still in those boxes somewhere, thinking I have two full face set ups and one open face set up.. Came with an 86 Aspencade I bought/sold many years ago - not even sure they are wired the same as the ones for the Ventures..

Gotta be able to find the stuff brand new fairly reasonable nowadays - maybe do a quick search on Ebay or something,,, certainly seems like prices on that stuff should have come down with all the modern blue tooth technology and modern electronics being what they are...

All the best in locating the right scoot - never know,, you may land one with alllll the goodies already there!:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup:

Parts bikes are a good thing! If you have the time and patience, a non running 1st gen can be parted out and make you $1000 plus in pieces on Fleabay, but it takes a while...

I want the parts bike too, its a 1300 also so im thinking about doing a rebuild with vmax heads and Morleys version of vmax cams and tossing it into my 99 vmax. I want the shorter 5th gear anyway and maybe the Venture R&P to help out with all the open roads around here when I ride the max. As for the parts bike I would have to dismantle it, box it up and give away the frame and big chunks, I really dont have space for another whole bike. I hope its still listed when i get done working next week. If it is what they say ill ride it home but im not afraid to walk away if its not. High hopes though. I want to take at least one long trip before the snow flies again!

I think I found her! Looks great in the pics and seller put a sale pending hold on it for me until I can get there. The pics look fantastic but if anyone here is in Sioux City and willing to do a quick inspect I would be delighted to paypal that person enough for a big fat burger and a couple beers. Im making the 12 hr round trip Wed to pick it up but would not mind someone peeking at it if anyone is near, ya know, before I make the trip. I am comfortable with the sellers description but it is a long ways to go to figure out its not what it seems. I think its on the up and up but cant be to safe. Im getting giddy and excited!

Thanks folks

Tony

This one?

http://images.craigslist.org/00i0i_7DgiQUX0LAM_1200x900.jpg

Looks good, how many miles?

For my money forget the onboard electronics and get bluetooth headsets...... Bought a $90 pair from fleabay and rode 4000 miles last year with a bud on a concours, they worked great. I'm just about ready to gut all the audio out of my 99

I hear people say this pretty often and I would agree EXCEPT....if you ride with a group, you lose your ability to communicate with your riding buddies. I don't like constant chatter but it's nice to fine a quiet CB Channel and be able to exchange information with those riding with you as you need to.

That is the one, seller said it has just under 10k on the clock. I called him and we spoke, let him know I was a serious buyer with cash in hand and he offered to hold it and I accepted this generous offer, ill get there wed eve and unless something is really amiss ill be bringing it home. According to the pics and his description its a steal. Thats why I was fishing for anyone nearby to put eyes on it and make sure it is what it looks like since its quite a drive. If nobody nearby ill head over anyway, it looks well worth taking a chance on, I haven't seen anything better for less amd sure no closer to me.

I hear people say this pretty often and I would agree EXCEPT....if you ride with a group, you lose your ability to communicate with your riding buddies. I don't like constant chatter but it's nice to fine a quiet CB Channel and be able to exchange information with those riding with you as you need to.

And there you have it, for me 2 bikes is a plenty big group....

Besides isn't that what wives, cell phones and texting are for?

When I scrapped the audio on the beemer I ended up with a huge glove box right in my lap, what I miss the most about that bike, it was also nice to know the ABS was there if things got ugly.

Ill use Intercom, my current wife is the first one that I actually like talking with and rarely ride in groups. I read something on a GW page about it being common to ise CB to communicate between bikes on group rides. Its extremely rare that I ride with others but it might be cool to meet other venturers on the road sometime. Bluetooth capabilities might be a feature I should consider when purchasing though. Maybe I can bring my FLAC library on long rides too,

If an odometer appears to have 9k, is it possible that it has rolled over to 109k? Is there a good way to tell other than general condition of the bike?

Why do so many Venture ads list rear brakes as needing work, is there a misunderstanding with linked brakes or a design issue?

Yup, just when you thought I was all done with the questions! :)