IGNORED

Finally scored some Monster Ovals...

Bert2006

After 3 years of looking and loosing multiple bids I have finally closed the deal on a set of Monster Ovals that are in great shape with only a few scratches underneat them and a reasonable price. :dancefool:Can't wait for them to get here....now if only Canada Post could avoid going on strike that would be helpful!:whistling:

You will Love them! If you need a set of clamps let me know, As of today I have a set.[ATTACH=CONFIG]105972[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the offer for clamps but I should be ok as I currently run RK pipes. Can't wait for them to arrive, gonna be a long 2 to 3 weeks until they get here. Nice looking scoot by the way.:cool10:

I also just scored a nice set of Monster Ovals. Price was reasonable IMHO, low miles on them and the only imperfection is a little rash on the bottom of the right tip (not seen when installed). So, I installed them on Saturday and took a 100 miles ride on Sunday. The verdict?? Well, both my wife and I love the looks and the deep note they produce, but agree they are probably too loud for our liking. I see that V&H makes 'quiet baffle' options for some of their slip-on's but a quick phone call to them confirmed no such option exists for these. So before giving up on them, I did some searching and found a thread here from a previous member who discovered an after-market baffle add-on that reduces the db level without affecting the deep sound. So I'll give that a shot.

Before...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/gnesvik/IMG_0085.jpg

and after...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/gnesvik/IMG_0089.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

He will have to answer which ones he has but any of them for the Harley Touring bikes will work with a simple bracket fabrication. A lot of people here have installed Harley take-offs on the RSV and RSTD. So any mufflers made for the Ultra Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide will work just fine.

I contacted V&H and they said they do not make a set of Monster Rounds for the Venture. If that is the case, what bike are your pipes "supposed" to fit??

What Freebird said:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

VH does not make pipes for the RSV, we need to use those made for HD's.

I had the monster ovals, great for around town or parades etc. Just to loud on long trips regardless if by myself or two up. I really like the looks of the monster squares also.

I pull the baffles and wrapped them with the fiberglass wrap but still to much drone on long hauls for me.

He will have to answer which ones he has but any of them for the Harley Touring bikes will work with a simple bracket fabrication. A lot of people here have installed Harley take-offs on the RSV and RSTD. So any mufflers made for the Ultra Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide will work just fine.

Not sure what these pipes came off. I will have to look a little closer at them and see if there is a model # or if they have a cat built into one of them.

My Monster Ovals arrived today but the mounting points on then are not even close to the ones on my RK pipes. Also, the dimension of the pipe at the flange is too small.

Here is what the ad said, what did I miss :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Monster Ovals - for Harley Touring Bikes (RoadKing, StreetGlide, Road Glide, Electra, Ultra, etc.)

In excellent condition. Wonderful mellow, deep tone, great chrome. Some scratches underneath, not visible when mounted. Has new Vance & Hines hardware for these (brackets, nut plates, etc). You can use your stock muffler clamps (these fit all 1 3/4" touring exhaust systems). Off of a 2016 Street Glide, but should fit all 1995 - 2016 Touring Models. Retail is around $800 US for these.

$_35LXM8DVR8.jpg

I guess I would have to see them next to the RK pipes. I can't really tell anything from those pictures. The ad though says that the inlet pipe is 1 3/4". Are you saying it is NOT? If not, how much too small is it? I've seen them fit pretty tightly and in fact I bought a tail pipe expander to get a couple to work but it as just very tight, not entirely wrong.

I guess I would have to see them next to the RK pipes. I can't really tell anything from those pictures. The ad though says that the inlet pipe is 1 3/4". Are you saying it is NOT? If not, how much too small is it? I've seen them fit pretty tightly and in fact I bought a tail pipe expander to get a couple to work but it as just very tight, not entirely wrong.

Had a chance to calm down a bit...

Will try the pipe expander trick and that should work. The main difference is the location of the attachment point. They are at least 2 inches farther forward that those on the RK pipes. They are also placed closer together. I guess I can drill new holes in my adapter bracket. Am frustrated as I thought they would be a direct fit since I had already moved to RK pipes. Those MO's are heavy though.

Edited by Bert2006

The inlets on my ovals were too small; about .020" as I recall. Took them to a local mechanic who had an expander and took care of that. As for the mounting holes, well that was another story. I had found 3 different mounting brackets that had been fabricated for RK pipes and none had the right dimensions. So, for the time being, I'm using P clamps. They work fine but I suspect the weight they are supporting (yeah, these things are heavy) will eventually take their toll, so will eventually have to make something better.

After receiving a bit of very good and well timed advice from Don(Aka: Freebird) yesterday :clap2: I was able to tackle and complete the install of the Monster Ovals. Had to modify my brackets made for the RK pipes and also rented a pipe extender tool to open up the front part so they would fit. Finished late last night and was only able to start her up this morning to listen. A bit louder than what I expected :confused07: but that was in the garage with lots of resonance. Can't wait to try them out tonight...:cool10:..will post a video in the next few days comparing the sound of the RK's to the MO's.

In the meantime, here are a few pics from the install....First one shows how the attachment points were different , next shows how I had to drill new holes in my bracket, then with one on to compare size with RK pipe and last 2 are with both MO's installed.

IMG_20160719_203556.jpg

IMG_20160719_204255.jpg

IMG_20160719_214940.jpg

IMG_20160719_215015.jpg

IMG_20160719_203359.jpg

Well I know it took some work but I think they look fantastic. As for the mounting points, I would have to look at my RK mufflers again and I may be wrong but I think that your RKs were the issue, not the Monster Ovals. The mounting points on those look different than any I've seen before. Like I said though, I haven't looked in a while and could be wrong. Either way, great job and I look forward to hearing them.

Nice job on the Monster Ovals.

Yes the mounting holes are as you described and different than the RK mufflers. I only recently found this out. I installed Monster Ovals on my 97 RSTC a few years ago. That was a complete custom install. When we got our 07 a couple of months ago I removed my Monster Ovals off the 97 to put them on the 07, and bought some stock RK mufflers for the 97 to get the bike ready to sell. The mounting brackets were so far back that it would look stupid on my 97 becaust they would be exposed as they stuck out from under the Leather Saddle bags.

So I installed the stock Venture Mufflers and fabricated a mount for it.

Then I had the brackets for the 07 shortened and redrilled for the mounting points.

It was a little disappointing that everything was not a simple bolt in swap but that is like most of the projects that I end up dong lol,.

Again Nice Job!