IGNORED

Finally scored some Monster Ovals...

Bert2006

How did you do that?

Long story short, I found an old post somewhere here where a previous member had located some quiet baffles to add to the mufflers. They're not advertised to work with the MO's but they do. The vendor website is http://www.smartpartz.com, and the part number is SPZHK250ST. Here's a link: http://smartpartz.mybigcommerce.com/spzhk250st/. They run $69/pair + shipping. They slip right into the end of the muffler and lock in with a single set screw. No drilling required. Vendor recommends running a bead of hi-temp RTV gasket silicone, but I didn't do that.

Here's a link to the OP thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?38259-V-amp-H-Monster-Ovals&highlight=Monster+Ovals

Well, this is not good! Took the bike out for a ride last night (150 miles) and I will not be able to deal with the noise level of the MO's. :crying: As the sound frequency is so much lower it results in a drone sound (like the kid in the cage with bass all the way up) that resonates through your body. As well, when you open the bike up, its like having no pipes at all. I got so self conscious about the noise I was making that I was actually all tensed up and did not enjoy the ride. :shock3: Ears where sore and stress levels were up. Way too loud for me. I am disappointed as I was looking forward to these for their looks and the sound clips I had heard on them made them actually sound like they would be quieter than my RK pipes. Confirmed this with my wife this morning who indicated that she could hear me going and coming from a mile away, not to speak of the house shaking when I got into the garage. She also mentioned that she will not get on the bike with those on...and I cannot blame her. So they will come off and the RK's will go back on......:bang head:

I promised you a sound clip to compare them to the RK pipes and that is coming soon.....

This is surprising to me. I had the Monster Rounds on the Road Glide and they just weren't that loud. I have never looked into it but can they be repacked? I wonder if somebody removed the bafflers in the past? There has to be a reason why yours are so loud.

from Freebird:

This is surprising to me. I had the Monster Rounds on the Road Glide and they just weren't that loud. I have never looked into it but can they be repacked? I wonder if somebody removed the bafflers in the past? There has to be a reason why yours are so loud.

They look stock, however I did send a note to the PO asking if they had been modified and he is not responding. TDbiker gave me a lead in a post below on how to quiet them down, but they are so loud that I don't think that will work and I don't want to sink any more money or time and effort in these. Will just lick my wounds and move on. Thanks again for your help in getting them mounted. I know its not the final result that was expected, but your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Bert2006

Bert2006,

If it just so happens that you would like to get rid of them, I would certainly be interested, depending on the price!!!

I will try to sell them locally as shipping on these is a killer. They are heavy. I will be asking $450cnd to try to recoup some of my costs as I have almost $600cnd invested including the $120 for international shipping. :mo money:

from Freebird:

They look stock, however I did send a note to the PO asking if they had been modified and he is not responding. TDbiker gave me a lead in a post below on how to quiet them down, but they are so loud that I don't think that will work and I don't want to sink any more money or time and effort in these. Will just lick my wounds and move on. Thanks again for your help in getting them mounted. I know its not the final result that was expected, but your assistance is greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you are experiencing exactly what my wife and I did when I first mounted them. I can certainly understand you not wanting to ride with them this loud, and can't blame your wife either. After our first test ride I contacted V&H directly to see if anything was available from them to address this. They said they have no quite baffle options available for these, and from the factory they are wrapped/packed as tightly as possible. I then contacted the PO to see if he'd modified them, which he said he hadn't. Hence my decision to try the quiet baffle add-on's from SmartPartz. I think these would be your answer, but I can also understand you not wanting to sink any more $$$$ into this endeavor. I felt fortunate that I got my MO's for $340 USD including shipping. If it helps with your decision any, I believe SmartPartz offers a 30-day money back guarantee if not satisfied. So you could at least try them, and get your money back if you find it doesn't help.

If you do decide to unload them, if you have mounting brackets available I may be interested in them. Good luck with your decision.

This was the same problem I had with mine. I did pull the baffles and wrap them with the fiberglass wrap helped some but they were still loud on trips over 50 miles ( ride to work ). They came off a friends hardley and sounded good but no where close on the yamaha. Its like headers and glasspacks the drone was awful. They went back on a hardley and the guy is happy.:witch_brew:

Here is the sound comparison video I promised. They sound good at idle but when you open the bike up its just too much. The low frequency thumping and reverberation when sitting on the bike is what I cannot stand. Too bad. I did check and it has the original baffles and they are intact - they have not been punched out. Trying to sell locally as shipping on these is massive due to their weight. Enjoy the short movie!

Its posted on the Ventureriders Facebook page as I could not figure out to upload here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/144033808988878/