IGNORED

Clutch

gr8hwfan

Okay, so here it goes. 2 yrs ago I installed a Barnett pressure plate because of clutch starting to slip when getting on it. All has been fine for about 15000 miles and about 6500 of them were pulling a trailer. Well, now after a 3700 mile trip last week pulling my trailer(trailer weight is about 125# empty) clutch is starting to slip again when getting on it. So suggestions of what to do? Should I put another Barnett pressure plate in or should i do clutch plates and pressure plate (bike has about 32000 miles on it )?

Edited by gr8hwfan

IMHO - check the res up on the master 1st and make sure that tiny little bleed back hole is open before doing anything. You been running bike or diesel oil? Energy Effecient car oils will cause slipping.. Could try swapping out the diaphram spring, maybe getting tired.. If you decide to do plates - do em all - dont skip the half plate if the 2nd Gens are still using them.. Thanks to @Carbon_One - I finally have a 1st Gen with a good clutch (amazing thing - THANKS LARRY) - the previous owner that Larry got it from did a complete Barnett setup - no buffer disc (1/2 disc) and much stiffer springs.. Will tell you it is definitely much more precise in its engagement but WOW does this thing shift nice and WOW does it hook up!!!

IMHO - check the res up on the master 1st and make sure that tiny little bleed back hole is open before doing anything. You been running bike or diesel oil? Energy Effecient car oils will cause slipping.. Could try swapping out the diaphram spring, maybe getting tired.. If you decide to do plates - do em all - dont skip the half plate if the 2nd Gens are still using them.. Thanks to @Carbon_One - I finally have a 1st Gen with a good clutch (amazing thing - THANKS LARRY) - the previous owner that Larry got it from did a complete Barnett setup - no buffer disc (1/2 disc) and much stiffer springs.. Will tell you it is definitely much more precise in its engagement but WOW does this thing shift nice and WOW does it hook up!!!

Using bike oil.

IIRC Barnett offers heavy duty and extra heavy duty springs.

You may just need the heavier spring set.

Of course make sure that hydraulic side is working correctly first.

When was the last time you changed the clutch and break fluid?

Old fluid can also cause the clutch to not work correctly.

IIRC Barnett offers heavy duty and extra heavy duty springs.

You may just need the heavier spring set.

Of course make sure that hydraulic side is working correctly first.

When was the last time you changed the clutch and break fluid?

Old fluid can also cause the clutch to not work correctly.

Going to put the heavy duty springs in,And the fluid was replaced before i left for my 3700 mile trip.No problems my whole trip til i returned home.

The hydraulic clutch will NOT make your clutch slip, if defective it makes it hard or impossible to DISENGAGE the clutch...

Bob, I would beg to differ with you on this point, if the vent passage in the system is blocked or there is some other obstruction preventing system pressure to release you could very well end up with pressure building up in the line which will cause the clutch to partially disengage.

One scenario is that the vent in the master cylinder is blocked due to crud or oxidation and the clutch fluid heats up from engine heat. The expansion of the hydraulic fluid because of change in temperature will push on the piston in the clutch pack and could cause slippage.

So one question may be, is the slippage worse after the bike has been operating for a while , verse at the start of the ride? It may take a while for the hydraulic system to become fully heat soaked and the issue to show up.