IGNORED

should I buy 99 Venture with 58000 miles

troymorrison5

I'm considering trading my 03 v star 1100 classic with 18k miles for a 99 venture with 58k miles for $2999. Assuming bike was well cared for, what should i be concerned with, and am i getting a good deal?

Heck Yes...My 99 only had 48K on it before the fire and would jump at the chance, if she doesn't clean up, to get one like her for under $3K.

Go For It!

Oopss, more to your question,,, take a peek at the mono,, look for oil dampness on the bottom of the shock.. Also might wanna test ride it and see how much clutch whine it has and whether you can live with what ever it produces - some folks can and some folks cant..

:think:,, is this an even up swap - your 03 Classic for the Venture? If so - GO FOR IT!! If its your Classic PLUS $2999,,,, not so much IMHO...

I have one with 70K on it and I am hoping to get $3500 out of it so your bike and $2999 would be not be a good deal for you.

Don't get discouraged when you read the "issues with 2nd gens". Lot of it repeats with discussion.

Boils down to :

1) ride bike and listen for a whine at speed. Some bikes have a very loud whine which is caused by the clutch basket (straight cut gears). Fix is to go to an "I" basket or as one member recently posted run an oil line to keep the gears "wet"

2) rear shock leak. Check bottom of shock for moisture and when riding make sure the bike doesn't bottom out the rear shock or you'll be looking at $500-700 for a replacement. Sounds like you are getting a good deal on the bike

3) recall on trunk mount. You can check at a dealer with the vin if the fix was ever applied. Early 2nd Gen ventures didn't have very good trunk support and caused cracks. Check the bottom of the trunk (inside and out) to see if there are cracks or repairs

4) tires - older than 7 years they need to be replaced whether or not there is rubber left. I'd lean toward saying most of us use Dunlop E4's.

5) regular maintenance - 58k miles is low for these bikes. On a 17 year old bike that averages to 3400 miles per year.

6) you'll get lots of tips and help from vr.org members. Some member made parts, but some OEM add-on parts aren't available (eg billet chrome) because Yamaha stopped making the 2nd Gen Venture in 2013. All standard maintenance items are readily available from the dealer.

7) Maintenance Day is coming up next weekend. If you pick up the bike and can make it, there will be several people that can give the bike a good once over and help you with any maintenance/repairs.

8) you won't be disappointed in picking up a 2nd Gen Venture. And when you do, pay for membership here. LOL - membership comes with rewards. You'll find even one answer to your questions will save you far more than the $12 a year membership