IGNORED

Avon Tires.... I love em!!!

Geezrr

I put the bike up on the wonderful stand that Larry built, and started to clean, tighten and check it out before the first ride of the year, (had to dig a bit of snow drift out of the way to get it out of the shed). What did I find but cracked sidewalls on a virtually new tire. The rear tire was installed last May and only had 5000 miles on it.

Well, Peter H. here on this site had the Avon reps email. (Thanks Peter!) I sent some pic's to the rep and he said don't ride unless slow to the dealer, and then have them check it out also. Dealer found some slight cracking on the front tire also, was figuring on getting a new front this spring anyways, but Avon is warranting both tires and paying $93.50 towards mount and balancing them...

Would not say I am coming out smelling like a rose, as that would be a stretch right after a shower!!! lol, but am a really happy Avon user right now!!

Here is my homepage with a picture of the tire: http://www.barrowfamily.barrowroad.com/

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
I What did I find but cracked sidewalls on a virtually new tire. The rear tire was installed last May and only had 5000 miles on it.

.......but am a really happy Avon user right now!!

Is 5000 miles 'virtually new'?

How many miles do you get out of an Avon anyway? In my experience, 5000 miles on a rear tire is about half used up, not virtually new.

I'd be ready to put something else on it. I dont know about the newer Avons, but in the past, I have known some riders who went down in the rain because Avons dont shed water very well...leading to hydroplaning...which can put you upside down in a ditch. And cracking like that doesnt say much for the quality of the rubber used.

Watch that new tire, OK?

I usually get 12 to 14 k out of a rear avon. Have gotten less, but it definately is because of my riding habits. A lot of freeway miles at high speeds seem to reduce the tire faster, slower touring in the mountains, 60 and under mph, I get a lot more wear on the tires. Front tire will usually get 15 to 20k.

This tire that went bad still had 3/4 of the tread left on it.

As far as the rain and Avons, I have not had any problems at all, but when it is wet out I slow down anyway. Did 350 miles last spring in the heaviest rain I have ever been in, (over 1,000,000 miles professional driving and 350,000 miles on bikes). Would go by a motel and think, :whistling: ya, turn around and get a room, then no way, I am a tough Montana boy, don't need no stinkin' room. :no-no-no: ..... lol

Did not say smart MT boy, just tough....

The only thing I have noticed with the Avon's is tar snakes seem to give a lot of squiggle...

When I get the new tires on I will take it easy for a couple hundred miles, always do.

Avon tires are the only ones I will use. Not only do they stand behind their product, they also build the best tire I have found and I have used them all Metzler, Dunlop, etc. The Avon is ABSOLUTELY the best rain tire I have ever seen. Sticks like glue. I don't know who thought they don't shed water, but I would say it was more rider than tire :confused24:. These tires handle the grated bridges and road tar snakes like no other. Hardly know they are there. I run the smaller front and stock back. Got 16K on the back and so far have 19k on the front and it looks as good as it did the day I had it put on.

That's what I ran and I have to say thier great! Rain,light snow,small patches of ice,corners. I put my Avons through everything and they kept me up right everytime

I just changed my tires , I had 25,000 miles on the front( I ran it a little longer that I probably should have.) The guys at the bike shop I go to. talked me into trying Metzler tires this time. So far I like them , But I just don't trust them like I did the avon's. Time will tell!

I put the bike up on the wonderful stand that Larry built, and started to clean, tighten and check it out before the first ride of the year, (had to dig a bit of snow drift out of the way to get it out of the shed). What did I find but cracked sidewalls on a virtually new tire. The rear tire was installed last May and only had 5000 miles on it.

Well, Peter H. here on this site had the Avon reps email. (Thanks Peter!) I sent some pic's to the rep and he said don't ride unless slow to the dealer, and then have them check it out also. Dealer found some slight cracking on the front tire also, was figuring on getting a new front this spring anyways, but Avon is warranting both tires and paying $93.50 towards mount and balancing them...

Would not say I am coming out smelling like a rose, as that would be a stretch right after a shower!!! lol, but am a really happy Avon user right now!!

Here is my homepage with a picture of the tire: http://www.barrowfamily.barrowroad.com/

Had the same thing happen to my first Avon. Mounted on the front it went 'weather check' in less than a 1000 miles. Avon replaced it, and the replacement started to check but not as bad after only a couple of hundred. Avon replaced the replacement and all is good. No checking in over 4000 miles. The two tires that went bad had a DOT code of 2206 and... I think???....2306. The last one is from later in the year. I think Avon had a bad batch of tires mid '06. Even after the problems I still love the ride....

I put the avons on over the winter and have just under 500 miles on them now. I have the stock sizes and have noticed an improvement at handling slower speeds. At highway speeds the turns seem fine, but in the straight away they seem rather touchy. I have no lift in the steering bearing, also did the swing test with it up on the center stand and the handle bars just turn to the right or left and no bounce back. Any suggestions on what else to look for? Or is that normal?

Thanks

Bill...

I put the avons on over the winter and have just under 500 miles on them now. I have the stock sizes and have noticed an improvement at handling slower speeds. At highway speeds the turns seem fine, but in the straight away they seem rather touchy. I have no lift in the steering bearing, also did the swing test with it up on the center stand and the handle bars just turn to the right or left and no bounce back. Any suggestions on what else to look for? Or is that normal?

Thanks

Bill...

I think the touchyness comes from have a 'tackier' compound and reacting to highway imperfections more than a high mile touring tire at higher speeds. Maybe??

my rear tire has done the same thing and avon rep told me they will pay 100% of cost to replace and asured me this would not happen again. i had problems with dunlop and they could care less would not return my e- mails and finally said it was not there problem.

avon responded in less than an hour and said they will take care of it

my rear tire has done the same thing and avon rep told me they will pay 100% of cost to replace and asured me this would not happen again. i had problems with dunlop and they could care less would not return my e- mails and finally said it was not there problem.

avon responded in less than an hour and said they will take care of it

Just thought I would pass on this bit of information - my dealer told me several years ago that Avon has by far the best customer service and stands by their warranty far better than any other brand. That's second hand information, since I have not had any reason to contact them directly myself, but it seems to match the general consensus here. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

took my bike to the yamaha dealer yesterdayfor my avon tires . i have known the parts guy for 20 years . he called avon with tread depth and dot #s they are going to replace front and rear and pay 93.50 of lobor . had the tires 1 1/2 year and 9000 miles.the dealer was so impessed they are know going to be a avon dealer. they said all the other major brands were not any were as good at backing there prouduct. so for me i will only buy avon m/c tires. they responded in less than an hour and took only 10min on the phone with dealer. they are sending tires free and shipping is free.

avons rule

tried the rest now run the best

The two tires that went bad had a DOT code of 2206 and... I think???....2306. The last one is from later in the year. I think Avon had a bad batch of tires mid '06. Even after the problems I still love the ride....

My new Avon front was just delivered today. Went out to look and try to make sure they sent me a fresh tire. Is this the 4 digit code inside a small oval at the end of a row that begins DOT? If so, mine says 0108. I'm assuming that's the first batch made in 2008 - is that correct? Thanks.

My new Avon front was just delivered today. Went out to look and try to make sure they sent me a fresh tire. Is this the 4 digit code inside a small oval at the end of a row that begins DOT? If so, mine says 0108. I'm assuming that's the first batch made in 2008 - is that correct? Thanks.

1st WEEK of 2008. It's fresh.

Goose