IGNORED

i think ive got a blown head gasket

so i have found my bike likes to drink coolant, but isn't giving me the usual symptoms. no white clouds behind the bike, the spark plugs are not abnormally clean, no milk in the oil, and of course no puddles under the bike. though after i fill the coolant and run the bike my rad is bubbling and what i can assume is a bit of soot occasionally floating in it.

with the sad state the cooling system was in, with the entire thermostat bypass clogged and filled with pure water. this engine has either overheated or frozen or both and screwed my head gaskets bad, or worse cracked a cylinder wall. if i open it up and do find a cylinder cracked can these engines be resleeved or is the block just dead?

Can you get a pressure tester on it to see where it is leaking from?

Be real careful that you do not fill a cylinder with coolant and hydro lock the motor. Although that would make diagnosis and the path to follow pretty simple.

Coolant running thru a cylinder will smoke. A leaking seal will let coolant drip out the bottom of the water pump while running down the road. Not so much while sitting.. Just a thought..:think: Replace the motor if it does turn out to be a head gasket....

I've never done it but there is a test that can be performed on the coolant to verify if a head gasket is leaking checking for hydrocarbons i think. But, it does sound like a head gasket leak. Decision time! repair? replace engine? sell the bike as a parts bike? use it for a parts bike?

yup im just ordered my gaskets today, going to rebuild. looked around for a spare engine and the only on in the area was going for $900, and even then its still a used engine so i dont want to risk it having any issues this one has.

Gee, this summer I will have a low mileage 1200 from my '84 that I am GIVING away! The catch is it's still in the bike and needs to be removed...

Engine has 22K on it, it is being replaced with an overbored 1300 engine done by PCW Racing.

The head gasket job isn't that tough. I just did the front head on an 84 1200 with the engine still in the bike. I think the toughest part was getting the cams set right for timing and then the valve cover gasket.. LOL... The rest was pretty easy and just followed the service manual. I cleaned the carbs while I had them off and it runs like a champ.