IGNORED

Doing some repairs to 89

Hey @Yammer Dan and Mr. @Flyinfool, don't laugh too hard about painting with a roller...:rasberry:...have you heard about the process of painting cars with "Rust-oleum" and a foam roller? I actually have used this process to paint a car as well as to restore an antique gas pump for my games room....and if you do it right and take your time I can get the paint job to look as good as I could do with my HVLP paint gun. Plus good ol Rust-oleum (we call it Tremclad paint up here on the tundra of Canada) is a heck of a durable surface to boot......just no fancy metallic flake colours yet......sorry @videoarizona:happy65:

Check it out.....there is a whole cult following of car painters that use a foam roller. http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-fitzgerald/how-paint-car-bucket-rust-oleum-and-roller

HotRod Magazine even did a 1962 Falcon project using this Rust-oleum and roller method....painted the whole car for $98 bucks!:hihi: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/hrdp-0707-1962-ford-falcon-budget-paint-job/

OK job done. Good enough for this kid. Much better 2nd time around.

Sanded and started again. 4 coats of color and 2 coats of clear gloss.

Little spray gun worked great again. No complaints with that little gun. Cleaned after each use and it didn't miss a bit.

89VRrepair01.jpgThe small corner under the Class controls was broken up by brake fluid right after I got the bike and was going over it...my bad. Hard to see the thin red line...

89VRrepair02.jpgThere is a section highlighted with a thin red line that shows the area where I destroyed the corner dropping the bike on left side when there was nothing to put my foot down on. Not to bad here...as there is some overspray that must be buffed out...didn't mask it this time as per Jeff's instructions. Worked better I must say! Thanks Jeff.

I'm good with the job even though it could be better. But that's my technique that is failing, not the equipment or paint.

Pics now added!

Thanks to all for advice and help...

Edited by videoarizona

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got scoot back together. As usual with me, had 3 screws left over and one strange little part.

IMG_20160626_132100_159.jpg The top end has a tiny threaded hole. Have no idea where this came from. Ideas???

IMG_20160626_135251_010.jpg Took a few cranks to start her up...been sitting a month. Tomorrow I'll go for a test run...see what falls off, I guess!

Almost looks to me like the peg on the radio unit that the little leaf spring that holds the whole radio unit locked down in place slips into...

Holy Cow! You are good, Sir @bongobobny !

The top left side of the handle on the radio unit had a small nut on it instead of the proper nut. I never noticed that the nut wasn't the same as the other 3 corners. Guess the PO lost it down inside the left fairing, couldn't find it and simply replaced it with a regular nut. Must have fallen out when I took the fairing off...no wonder I had no clue...I didn't take it off.

I owe you are beer.

:beer:

Thanks!

P.S. nothing fell off on this mornings test ride...so maybe those 3 leftover screws were also lost in the fairing as well....and fell out.

Nah...I can't be that lucky...

Gotta tell ya, it really is a rush to nail the throttle on a 1st gen...the century mark comes so fast....

Edited by videoarizona
add

Hi @videoarizona! You would be amazed at what you find in fairings! When I took my 1984 Goldwing fairing off last year, 2 sets of keys, a pair of needle nose pliers and a toothbrush fell out. I was happy about the keys since they including the original Honda rubber ones with the fancy Goldwing logo on them. Guess the previous owner kept dropping his keys from the ignition and they would lodge in the fairing. And rather then try and fish them out, he just got more cut! Or maybe that's how the needle nose plier got in there.....I have no explanation for the toothbrush, as I usually store mine in the gas tank to keep the germs off of it! :banana:

If only fairings would catch money rather then spare screws and keys!

The first time I took my fairing apart I also found a spare key. The weirdest thing I found was a quarter behind the left front spark plug the first time I changed plugs. I still cant figure that one out.. :confused24:

The first time I took my fairing apart I also found a spare key. The weirdest thing I found was a quarter behind the left front spark plug the first time I changed plugs. I still cant figure that one out.. :confused24:

Maybe someone told the previous owner to "change" that plug :big-grin-emoticon: