IGNORED

A Little Apprehensive

bongobobny

As some of you may know, I am a type II diabetic, and have had a foot ulcer for around a year and a half now. Well, I found out today that my middle toe, which has been swollen for some time now, will have to be amputated. Better the toe than the whole foot. I am putting it off until fall after riding season, and am going to convert to a trike, but what I'm really wondering is what to expect, and how long will I be down. Has anyone else been thru this??

I was originally planning on turning the '85 parts bike into a trike, but am now considering triking Goldie. Hopefully I will be able to work on it this winter...

Wow Bob, that's a bummer. I had a cousin that lost his big toe to a lawn mower and he had to learn to walk again. The big toe gives lots of balance. But I would think that the middle toes wouldn't be as bad. As to healing, I imagine that will depend on how easily you heal.

My dad lost to a lawnmower once too and it took off part of his thumb and the next two and a half fingers. They found one finger and the tip of another. They used his index finger to rebuild his thumb, reattached his middle finger and removed the bone going to the index finger. It seems that it took about a month or so to heal up. He said that for years, though, his index finger, the one that was gone, would itch and get cold easy. It's called phantom pain.

Good luck, man! I'll be pullin' for ya!

I'm wondering to about the time factor, want to keep you around as you are, and would rather have you missing for a short time than have you loose big time and have to come to see you each time. Type II can become full blown so watch it and treat it right, in the meantime I'll talk to the Great Physician about you as well.

Carl

Bob,

I'm not sure waiting that long is a good idea. As for and permanent effects, I know many paople who have lost toes, with little or no ill effects. The biggest thing is how long it takes you to heal. I would surely discuss this matter in depth with my doctor and family to see if I couldn't get it done sooner.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Vin

bob...the wifes a registered nurse and she said it would take about 6 to 8 weeksto heal. she also said it might not be a good idea to wait since you have diabetes. hope this helps take care steve:080402gudl_prv:

Like the others, I would also question the wisdom of waiting. That said, I must assume that the question came up when you were told that it had to be done. If the Doc approves, fine, if not..well it will at least ONLY be the toe. Yes?

Whatever you decide, my prayers are up for you. Good Luck with it.

Ok- Normally don't get too involved in other folks health. The following may be a bit morbid. As a diabetic your body does not heal as well. Circulation is compromised to your lower extremities. Your veins and arteries are not as healthy. Your nervous system doesn't transmit all the signals and is not as acute. You can injure yourself and not realize it until later. The injuries will not heal without a lot of careful work. As is evidenced by the ulcer you currently have. You are more prone to infection because of this. The infected part (toe) cannot heal and gets worse. Gangrene sets in and the part needs to be removed. Quite possibly further damage results from ignoring the problem. Sepsis can set in and be carried by the bloodstream to other parts of the body. So let me tell you about the diabetics I have seen who don't pay attention and put off health care. First a few toes, then a foot. Finally both legs off at the knees and in a wheel chair. A shunt for kidney dialasis in the arm and both kidneys in renal failure!! I am not talking about 1 or 2 people. I have seen this over the years in dozens of people.

Go Now!!! I don't want to visit you in a dialasis center in a few years to say my final goodbye's.

No matter about the riding season. Take care of yourself and watch the blood sugar. Do what the doctor says and you and I will be able to see each other at M&Es for a long time.

If this doesn't work, I have pictures in my files where I teach this every day. They are gross, ugly, and repulsive. Just ask and I will be happy to give you copies. I know it gets old and tiring to keep up on diabetes. Some days you want to say F*** it all. Call me on those days and we will talk. Good luck at the doctor's MONDAY and with the surgery NEXT WEEK.

Pullin' for you,

JB

Don't wait! It is more important to save your foot and the rest of your toes than it is to ride! You can ride again after you heal.

This is nothing to screw with. A diabetic friend lost ALL his toes on one foot and nearly lost the foot.

On the up side, he is limping along just fine, still doing all the things he did before.

I will be sending prayers your way. My mom has a ulcer on her leg that has been there over a year. She waited a year to go to the doctor. Last she told me it is doing some better. Just told that she is a diabetic a few months ago. She is a type 2 taking the pills. But has LoneStarMedic says Circulation is worse. She hasn't hardly had a pulse in that foot for a long long time. So I agree with the ones that say do it when the doctor says. We don't want you to lose the whole foot or worse the leg. Know a friend that that has happen too. Yes you can ride a trike without a leg have seen it done. When there is a will there is a way. Remember that. But try and do what is best for your health. We want you around for a very very long time.:bighug:

Bob,

I'm with the others, dont wait for riding season to finish as I believe your just asking for trouble. Get it done as soon as you can and get the healing done, Diabetes is nothing to screw with. I have gone through a lot with Lonna being one....take care of your health my friend.

As some of you may know, I am a type II diabetic, and have had a foot ulcer for around a year and a half now. Well, I found out today that my middle toe, which has been swollen for some time now, will have to be amputated. Better the toe than the whole foot. I am putting it off until fall after riding season, and am going to convert to a trike, but what I'm really wondering is what to expect, and how long will I be down. Has anyone else been thru this??

I was originally planning on turning the '85 parts bike into a trike, but am now considering triking Goldie. Hopefully I will be able to work on it this winter...

My father in law has a circulatory ailment and had to have toes removed. He was moving slow while it healed, but If I remember correctly it was only about a month till he was wearing regular shoe again. Of course now he can't count as high as he used to be able to :rotf:

Thank you all for your replies, concerns, and most important prayers. I will be seeing the Dr.again May 3rd. I already mentioned riding season and he mentioned that we stil have time. No gangrene yet and yes, I daily inspect my feet. This whole thing started hen I stepped on a screw that ent thru the bottom of my shoe and I didn't feel a thing. What has complicated the issue are two things, first I am way too active but the second is that the bone for the toe has "dropped" which is aggrevating the issue and retarding healing.

Hopefully we can put it off at least until after the International Raly as we are really looking forward to attending. Also, we are looking forward to going to Ashville with Scott and Sherry (Mother and company) in August. After that then oh, well, if we miss the fall folage it's ok I guess. I'm thinking more and more Goldie, and fixing and seling the '85.

Guest JGorom

Robert...you and Becky are always in our prayers! I'm sure you will figure out what is best for you after you meet with the Doctor May 3rd. My only advice...ask questions of the Doctor...in fact write down some as they come to you so you don't forget so you will have a clear presentation of what to expect on both the positive and the negative side.

Finally...if I'm not mistaken...I believe that middle toe is the troublemaker of the bunch. It seems everytime I let mine out of the package (sock) it is the middle toe that always looks for something to grab on to so as to trip me up. Don't know if yours is the troublemaker in the package or not...but if it is...then you might not be tripping as much. Just a thought!

Bob,

As you know I am a Type 1 diabetic, and the only problems I have had is from being too low, because I try to control it too close. I am not gonna hide any thing from you. DO NOT WAIT TO GET THIS DONE!! I had a foster dad that didn't take care of himself, at 38 he had 2 toes amputated, at 42 he went blind, and at 48 he died.

As far as the International meet, we would rather see you in your car, than not be able to see you at any other meets ever again....and that can, and may happen!!

We want you around for a lot longer!! If you don't start to take care of yourself now, you won't be!! If you don't take care of your health today...you won't be here tomorrow!!

Think of Becky also! You do it nowand maybe by June you can be riding again! Don't put it off any longer, it may end up being more than a toe! We love you Bob, and we want you around! :080402gudl_prv: If you want to talk, call me anytime 810-531-4243. And we will always keep you in our thoughts and prayers!!

:bighug: