IGNORED

Radiator Fan breakdown on the road SALINAS, CA

jsb777

I left Eugene, OR Monday AM headed south bound to San Diego.

Today (Wed) in heavy stop and go traffic, each time when the radiator fan kicks on, it squeals terribly.

Stopped in Salinas and the dealer mechanic there confirmed my suspicion, either the shaft or bearing on the motor is failing.

He doesn't have one...suggested ride to LA area...as long as I avoid the stop and go and keep moving.

The SLO shop in San Louis Obispo said early May before he can get one.

I called home to Eugene, my local dealer couldn't have one for 10 days (Friday the 22nd).

Anyone here have any other suggestions???

Yamaha part # is 4XY-12405-00-00.

Quoted $400 just for the part...yikes.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

"Stranded in Salinas"

John from Eugene, OR

541-513-8495

By the way, this is the first I have ever heard of a fan failing. Chances are if you order one from pinwall it should be just fine. Got to be better then what you have now and a lot cheaper then $400.00 Heck at that price you could order all the fans they have in stock.:crackup:

I left Eugene, OR Monday AM headed south bound to San Diego.

Today (Wed) in heavy stop and go traffic, each time when the radiator fan kicks on, it squeals terribly.

Stopped in Salinas and the dealer mechanic there confirmed my suspicion, either the shaft or bearing on the motor is failing.

He doesn't have one...suggested ride to LA area...as long as I avoid the stop and go and keep moving.

The SLO shop in San Louis Obispo said early May before he can get one.

I called home to Eugene, my local dealer couldn't have one for 10 days (Friday the 22nd).

Anyone here have any other suggestions???

Yamaha part # is 4XY-12405-00-00.

Quoted $400 just for the part...yikes.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

"Stranded in Salinas"

John from Eugene, OR

541-513-8495

There isn't anything keeping the fan from spinning? If not maybe a local electrician can repair yours

Bob,

My 2005 Midnight just rolled over to 48,000 on this trip...but you've never heard of another fan failing??

Should I be looking at something else? Any ideas? Mechanic here in Salinas said definitely fan related after listening to it.

I did read about some of the members questioning if their fans even work, as they've never heard theirs turn on.

I could hear mine with my helmet on, while sitting still, and all the related road noise all around me.

Again, thank you for you prompt reply and suggestions.

I'll let you and the others know how it pans out.

John

Can you hear it when riding at highway speed? the fan should not be running when you are cruising down the highway. If you hear it all the time then it is probably something else. if it comes and goes when riding slow in traffic then it is the fan.

Aint life on the road just filled with adventure JSB? I had one do something similar years ago,, made a worst noise than a second grader scratchin a chalk board.. I didnt even bother removing the fan, I took a long skinny screw driver and the end of ratchet and nocked a hole in the plastic on the back of the motor large enough to get the straw for a can of WD 40 into it, then I purchased one of those small cans of WD from a Dollar store and squirted WD into the motor. Didnt take long at all and the motor quieted right down and worked fine and lasted a long time.. Figured what da heck what da hay, better than having that squealing motor trying to tell me how hot it was out there in the desert heat.

No idea what the fan on your 2nd is like - whether or not its similar in build to one on a 1st Gen - but I would look it over real close and see if you could do the same OR take it apart and sneak some lube into the bearings..

Scott,

I was thinking the exact same thing...maybe something a little heavier than WD-40, though I don't know what exactly.

I really really like WD cause it always seems to be friendly to internal motor stuff, its light enough to fling around to find the dry spots and it allow conductivity to electrical stuff like brushes and armatures and all that.. You dont really have to be to concerned with getting to much fluid flying around inside the motor,, way I always figured it.. Not only that, but WD seems to also be fairly easy to wash off should you get it on other parts if you try what I did.. Of course, if your gonna take it apart then yea,, I would go with something a little more wholesome.. Maybe pick up a can of spray chain lube, the kind that goes on liquid and ends up real sticky.. Or even some spray "White Grease".. Worth a shot brother.. Never did try to actually rebuild one,, if its not spot welded together it may not be that big of deal to slip some new bearings in it or even remove the dust shields on the bearings and pack em with grease..

Yah!! Pretty much an unheard of problem!! Sewing machine oil might be a little better than WD40 if you are looking for something a little thicker and more permanent than WD40 but it works!

Worst case senerio find a motorcycle boneyard closer to you for a used one. As stated, this is not something that commonly fails so you should be good with a used one! Not the kind of replacement job I would like to do on the road but hey, whatever...

SQUEALING FAN ISSUE RESOLVED!! Who gets the check(s) for the $$$ saved by subscribing to this forum????

Went to dinner to "think" about what was said here. 1) The WD-40 solution. Sounded reasonable since I didn't have a fan, and researched what else

I could use that would last a little longer "IF" I could get it down in there. 2) Bob and Free Bird both said something like "first ever I've heard of a fan failing..."

Hmm...among all those Ventures out there?? If not the fan...then what?

So, after dinner, armed with a flashlight, I poked around trying to see how long of a "straw" I would need to utilize CowPuc solution.

Lo and behold, there was a VENT HOSE looped and hanging down into the space the turning fan would occupy. The outside edges of the blades actually

showed some wear, but the hose appeared to be intact. After 10 minutes of fussin' and foolin' I think I have the problem fixed. Either a ziptie broke loose or

one wasn't installed after the last carb sync.

I'll ride with an attentive ear to the fan tomorrow during stop and go traffic, but I believe the issue has been solved!

Gentlemen...thank you all SO MUCH for the words to get me to thinking about how to resolve this!

It is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Onward to San Ysidro, then LEFT to Key West, FL...

OUTSTANDING JSB!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: Hopefully you nailed it - sounds very very likely that you did!!!:thumbsup:

Just a quick note here to anybody with a 1st Gen reading this thread.. The first thing that popped into my mind when I started reading JSB's post was "wonder if he tried disconnecting his speedo" because I have been almost squealed out of the saddle by the surprise squeal of a dry speedo/cable.. Then I came to my senses that we were talking a 2nd Gen here - totally different animal so I didnt say anything.. Just thought I would stick this note up here in case a new comer to the the wonderful world of Venture riding happened to read this - didnt want one of them to head down the wrong path if they hear a SQQQUUUEEEEAAAL - 1st Gens are far more likely to develop a dry speedo than a dry rad fan - IMHO of course..

WONDERFUL NEWS JSB!! Hope you have a wonderful trip out there!!

PS: :photographing:'s please.. (thought you were gonna get away with something didnt cha:big-grin-emoticon:

My concern is that if the OP can hear the fan while riding, then maybe the temp switch that controls the fan is stuck on and the fan is running all the time. That would cause premature failure of the bearings, as the fan should seldom operate on these bikes. Even here in Florida in the summer, I had to be in very slow heavy stop and go type traffic before mine would come on.

I agree with going to Pinwall or any other reputable salvage yard for the part, but do ensure the temp switch is not malfunctioning also.

If it were me I would order the part from Pinwall with delivery as fast as you need it, pull the fan from your bike while waiting and determine if the bearings can be removed and replaced, if they can, I would find a bear supplier and have them replace the bearings. Bearings are generally a set finite size, folks like Yamaha pick them off the self and design the applications around the available sizes, so replacements should be available, if they are sealed bearings, squirting oil or WD40 on them is unlikely to have any effect.

Oops , just saw the post where it was fixed.

Edited by M61A1MECH

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up. I agree about the bearings and will consider that. I CANNOT hear the fan while riding at speed, only at idlel.

The fan definitely kicks on and off (as necessary?) and I only hear it when "stuck" in the stop and go traffic due to accident back up, or long, long waits in to bumper city traffic. This trip is actually the first time I've ever heard the fan turn on at all that I can recall.

Again, thank you for the feedback!

John