IGNORED

Picked up a 1989 royal. What to expect.

I picked up a 1989 Venture at an auction for $500. They said it didn't start and needed a battery. I put a battery in it when I went to pick it up and it fired right up. The guy at the shop was making faces that I bought it in the first place. I guess he saw the look on my face and started to back off of what he was saying. I think getting a running bike for $500 was great. What i'm wandering does he know something I don't. I didn't take it home because it wouldn't pass inspection just for a few small things, nothing major. It only has 33,000 miles on it and it looks like some upgrades. I plan on changing out all the fluids, new plugs, maybe rebuild the carbs, and the air ride doesn't seem to work. Looking at this forum it looks like people love their bikes, so knot sure why the guy said they were junk.

It was a running light out, dirty windscreen, and the throttle stuck a little bit. Pretty picky I think. The previous owner installed a CD player, back speakers, and back armrest. I'll take some pictures and post them.

I not sure why the guy said they were junk.
you will come across people who believe if you don't subscribe to their preferences you are are inferior. Fortunately you have found a home where you'll be accepted, encouraged, and educated. If you hear folks on this site taking digs at someone's choice of ride rest assured it is only in fun. Our leader rides an American bike and many members have moved on to other brands because Yamaha forgot to put the 3rd generation Venture in production. Know that your bike could easily have. 100,000 miles left in it. Does that sound like junk to you? Flyinfool is probably right though. The guy knew it was a diamond in the rough. Edited by Venture n Dixie

To be honest I'm stoked. I could care less what the guy at Colman Powersports says. He probably wants me to buy a new bike. I look at it as a win win . I have always been interested in a Goldwing and this came across at a steal. My wife has been against me buying another bike since I sold my old one and this came in so cheep she could argue with it. Now I'm free to spend as much money as I want to make it right. I just want to know what to spend my money on.

First off, spend your money on becoming a paid member here!

Then start asking questions and be prepared to sort through the answers. From the first pic you posted I think it does look pretty nice and does have several upgrades I can spot right off. With those front disc covers you can run a tie wrap through each cover and it's disc in about three places on either side before you take the wheel off. The disc covers will hold all of the spacers in place so it's easier putting it back together. Does that front fender light and the disc cover lights work?

Want your money back?? As the man said just pay the 12 bucks and get ready for some ribbing. If you don't like a joke or two may as well save your money!! ITS BLUE!!! Oh never mind. Congrats!! Ya want your money back?? Did I mention that?? Looks like you got a great start to one of the best kept secrets around unless you are on this site....:Avatars_Gee_George: Find out how it is running and ask away. Want your money back??

There is a shop manual for your bike on this site.

Check the build dates on the tires if they aren't worn out. Old tires can be dangerous on two wheelers. If the rear tire needs changing, while you are at it pull the rear gear and drive shaft and grease the splines.

Lots of folks will chime in with other suggestions, I'm sure.

I see the membership button now, I'll jump on that. it wasn't coming up on my phone. So the guy dropped the bike off and I got a chance to mess with it. First it is a heavy ass bike, it about killed me backing it out of the parking space the guy put it in. It was slightly up hill and there was a car beside it.

I think I might have a stator problem. I put a new battery in and fired up but if I shut it off, it won't start back up. I'm going to search that in the forum now.

Yes it is heavy

It also has a high center of gravity, It will take a bit of practice to learn how to handle this.

There is a known hard starting issue when the engine is hot. There are 3 possible fixes, many do all 3,

1. new battery, you already did that.

2. new starter wires, upgrade to #4AWG welding wire.

3. replace starter with newer 4 brush starter.

To test the charging system

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?81297-Testing-for-a-Battery-not-Charging

Yes it is heavy

It also has a high center of gravity, It will take a bit of practice to learn how to handle this.

There is a known hard starting issue when the engine is hot. There are 3 possible fixes, many do all 3,

1. new battery, you already did that.

2. new starter wires, upgrade to #4AWG welding wire.

3. replace starter with newer 4 brush starter.

To test the charging system

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?81297-Testing-for-a-Battery-not-Charging

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. One thing i noticed when I pulled the battery to put it on the charger, the negative cable was lose.

The battery that I put on there is a battery tender BTL24A360C lithium iron phosphate. Don't know if anybody has tried these or not. It seems very light and small.

That one aught to do it. BTW, thanks for the tip, when I looked up the battery I found it was much less expensive than my Shorai lithium battery. You probably know this, but cold starting with lithium batteries you need to crank a couple of times then turn it off for 20 seconds and crank it again. The first cranking "wakes up" the battery and then the next one you'll have full battery power. Don't ask why because I don't know but that was in the manual that came with my Shorai.

The guy at the shop was right, that bike is junk. You should send it to me, lol.

It looks like a real beauty that was obviously loved at one point in its life considering all the extras that have been added. As you have discovered there is a ton of information here and an awesome bunch of people that have been through every problem or issue you could ever have with this bike.

You will get used to the weight of it, and I find it rides similar to the Honda V45 I used to have. Just larger and heavier.

Congrats n have fun.

I traded 3 boxes of Honda junk for my 83, and couldn't be happier. It was a neglected, rusted POS that had sat in the MS rain for 6 years. 2 months later I was riding it around on 3 and sometimes only 2 cylinders, unknown to me. Once I got that sorted it damn near threw me off the back when I cranked the throttle. Really, they're just beasts, and well worth the time and money. I hate to even admit how much :mo money::mo money::mo money: I've put into it, but it's a great machine. Parts are plentiful on fleabay at reasonable prices. Welcome to the Nut House!

Richard