IGNORED

Considering a different bike than my 2003 RSV 2nd gen

While I like the comfort of the RSV on long trips, it's just really big and heavy for around town and I seem to do more around town riding than anything else.

Has anyone changed from a RSV 2nd gen to another bike that is still good for 2 up riding, especially the passenger, and can give any suggestions about which bikes to look at? So far, others have pointed me towards the BMW R1200RT, Yamaha FJR1300 and Kawasaki Versys 1000LT. All drastically different from each other but they have their merits. I still want something with an upright seating position. I'm about 6' tall and 235 lbs so it can't be too small.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

I now ride a Victory Cross Country Tour. Prev bike was an '03 Wing, 06 RSMV, 87 VR, 85 VR. The Vic is As heavy as an RSV but feels much, much lighter. It's considerably easier to maneuver especially at low speed and you can ride 2-up comfortably all day long. In fact, for me the stock seat is the most comfortable seat of any bike I've had.

In fact SilvT has a Victory CCT that he will sell you! :big-grin-emoticon:

haHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHA

EDIT: guess I should take that back since I never told y'all I changed my mind :doh:

Edited by SilvrT

If I were looking for another bike I would not cross off the Roadstar Silverado or the Kawisaki Vulkin Classic 1500.They are good for around town and long trips.

I agree with the Road Star as I also have one. Personally I'd choose it over the Kaw ... considerably more power. That said, I've not road tested the newer Kaw 1700 but I do like the looks of them.

BTW, the Roadie is for sale .... the Vic is NOT ! LOL

I agree with the Road Star as I also have one. Personally I'd choose it over the Kaw ... considerably more power. That said, I've not road tested the newer Kaw 1700 but I do like the looks of them.

BTW, the Roadie is for sale .... the Vic is NOT ! LOL

Okay, you changed your mind since you posted you were going to sell the Victory and buy an RV and bought the Road Star. Hey, I change my mind all the time.

Okay, you changed your mind since you posted you were going to sell the Victory and buy an RV and bought the Road Star. Hey, I change my mind all the time.

You have a good memory! Yes, I did change my mind a few month's ago. A few reason's .... a) I really love the Victory b) if I bought a 5th wheel, I'd also have to trade my truck in for something more powerful and heavier. c) The whole concept started turning into :mo money:

Cheesy Rider,, gotta ask,, have you looked into bagging out your RSV by seeing if you could pick up docking hardware for the rear trunk so it could easily be removed (may be beating a dead horse here cause maybe the RSV comes OEM with removable trunk like the 1st Gen MK1 - just thinking I had heard this is not the case). Back before Tip started riding with me full time I baggerize my 1st Gen many times and it always amazed me how much lighter it felt when I did.. I also have 2 good buddies with HD Ultra's that we did that conversion to and WOW - did it make a difference.. Just a thought..

As far as a two up fun bike JUST for around town, Tip and I do a lot of playing around here locally on our little Honda Helix scooter.. Have you ever noticed that most of the desirable breeds of scoots have the passenger riding higher up in the saddle than the driver is.. I am sure it has to do with getting the driver down into the "V" of the frame and the passenger ends up riding up on top of the rear fender.. If you think about that (the passengers weight being carried above the central weight of the rider) it just doesnt seem like this would be a good position for optimal weight distribution/low speed balancing but it is "the look" that sells.. One of the reasons our little Helix is such a fun - in town - bike is because it is low slung and stretched in design so we are both sitting low in the saddle at about the same height.. Although the FJR style of scoot is not low slung like our little Helix it still has the advantage of seating you both at about the same level (which - ironically - is similar in design to a 1st Gen MK1 - more of a "Sport Tourer") which seems like it would have the same affect = easier to handle at low speeds when two up because you dont have the added weight of a passenger and trunk ABOVE your weight balance line where your fighting against it.. Add that to the fact that, as you mentioned, total weight is a lot less on that type of bike than on a full blown touring scoot..

Gotta remember something else in all this though,,, these great big beautiful Touring bikes that we have been riding do have a REAL advantage when it comes to going long distance brother.. I only make the suggestion of trying to bag out your RSV because it would probably be easier to do that than it would to turn a Sport tourer into a full blown touring bike should you decide to take a longggg distance ride with a passenger on the back..

A couple nights ago, I watched a youtube video of a father and son riding their Chinese Scooters across the whole country. They only paid $100 for the used scooter the son was riding. They would only go about 35mph. Seems you can tour on anything you want to.

You have a good memory! Yes, I did change my mind a few month's ago. A few reason's .... a) I really love the Victory b) if I bought a 5th wheel, I'd also have to trade my truck in for something more powerful and heavier. c) The whole concept started turning into :mo money:

I know the feeling. I keep lusting over small motorhomes. But, I have never been able to justify/rationalize the purchase. I'm retired but my wife is still working full time. Maybe when she retires or just decides to quit. Before my kids got too grown to go camping with the old man, I had a 25' TT. It was great for towing to the beach for a week from Raleigh. Pulled it first with a short wheel base F150, then with an E150 Clubwagon. Not so expensive if you don't get a behemoth TT.

A second vote for the Victory Cross bike. I also have the Cross Country Tour, But the Cross Country is basicly the same bike sans the trunk. I came off a RSV and have to agree, the difference between the RSV and the Vic is only believable if you go ride one. They handle more like a sports bike than a 800lb touring bike.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I may have found a replacement. Test rode a 2003 BMW R1150RT the other night. What a difference!!! :banana: So easy to ride, handles superbly, plenty of power. Only need to see if I can make the pillon as comfortable as possible for the Mrs.

Anyone have experience with this model?

Never had the pleasure of owning one Cheesy but I do know from talking to Beemer riders that some of the BMW's came with issue's that were pricey to repair.. You may want to google that particular model and see if what you can find out before plopping down the bucks.. I know I have heard of ABS issues and drive shaft issues somewhere back in that time frame.. Have also heard that Beemer shops seem to be a little more pricey than other shops if you need to take it in BUT - I have no idea if that is just a rumor or if its factual..

I do know I rode a Beemer part way out to Lake Placid one time back in that era and found it to be an amazing bike - it was VERY comfortable, got amazing MPG's and WOW did it scoot - put a whoopin on my 1st Gen!! Just might not be a bad idea to do a little digging before ya jump in is all..:2cents:

Looks like a big difference in seating position. The RSV has a cruiser position. If you are comfortable on the BMW with your feet under you, I suspect you will indeed love it. The wife's comfort may be the deciding factor. Looks like a big difference for her. I'd love to ride one of those to see how I would like it.

Never had the pleasure of owning one Cheesy but I do know from talking to Beemer riders that some of the BMW's came with issue's that were pricey to repair.. You may want to google that particular model and see if what you can find out before plopping down the bucks.. I know I have heard of ABS issues and drive shaft issues somewhere back in that time frame.. Have also heard that Beemer shops seem to be a little more pricey than other shops if you need to take it in BUT - I have no idea if that is just a rumor or if its factual..

I do know I rode a Beemer part way out to Lake Placid one time back in that era and found it to be an amazing bike - it was VERY comfortable, got amazing MPG's and WOW did it scoot - put a whoopin on my 1st Gen!! Just might not be a bad idea to do a little digging before ya jump in is all..:2cents:

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely do some research!

• 2 weeks later...