IGNORED

New Front Tire Installed

SilvrT

Installed a new front tire this past Saturday.

Elite 3 130/70-18

Dealer quoted me $260 + tax + enviro fee of $5 + $50 labour if I brought the wheel.

Another non-dealer shop quoted $203 plus tax + $25 labour.

I got the tire from Canadasmotorcycle.ca for $180 All-in shipping included. Paid a shop $50 to mount it.

It pays to shop around LOL

New Tire - $180.00

Labor to mount - $50.00

SilvrT ready to ride as soon a snow melts - Priceless.

Great deal on the tire!

No snow around here ... got about an inch or 2 at Christmas ... gone a day later. Lot's of rain though. I was out riding a couple weeks ago.

When it comes time to change a tire I am looking at this approximate calculation. Sound good at all?

$180 for tire (your price).

$14.95 Ride-on tire sealant for motorcycles +S/H = $21.09 (no balance needed and other benefits).

$13.49 for enough Heavy 24" zip ties to dismount & mount two tires with left over ties. (can do better I'm sure just a quick Amazon check "prime" no S/H)

= $214.58 with added benefits. (add in whatever your time is worth)

SilverT I get my tires from Jake Willson. Both E3's for $288.76 free shipping and I get them mounted free.

ahhhh... but for y'all south of the border, everything costs less.

My front tire from Jake Wilson lists for $146.98 ... convert that to CDN would be around $210

When it comes time to change a tire I am looking at this approximate calculation. Sound good at all?

$180 for tire (your price).

$14.95 Ride-on tire sealant for motorcycles +S/H = $21.09 (no balance needed and other benefits).

$13.49 for enough Heavy 24" zip ties to dismount & mount two tires with left over ties. (can do better I'm sure just a quick Amazon check "prime" no S/H)

= $214.58 with added benefits. (add in whatever your time is worth)

Just did my tires, here is what you need:

1. RuGLYDE from NAPA 1 gallon will last forever if you are just doing MC tires.

2. Rim protectors

3. Good tire spoons (the HF 24" tire irons are too thick)

4. New valves

5. (2) jack stands to static balance using the axle

6. wheel weights

Remove the front brake calipers and use some 2x's to support the wheel on an off. makes lining up the axle super easy.

I'd also stay away from the tire sealant, it will probably void any warranty from the tire manufacturer. Use the axle to static balance between two jackstands. Very easy to do and works quite well. You can also put a 90 degree valve on the front just like the rear.

IMG_0778.jpgIMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I'd also stay away from the tire sealant, it will probably void any warranty from the tire manufacturer. Use the axle to static balance between two jackstands. Very easy to do and works quite well. You can also put a 90 degree valve on the front just like the rear.

From the Ride on website.

"Q: How does Ride-On (TPS) affect the tire manufacturer's warranty?

A : Ride-On (TPS) is an inert tire sealant that does not attack or damage tires or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains anti-corrosive agents to help protect steel or aluminum wheels and tire belts from rust. Ride-On (TPS) has obtained letters from Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental, General Tire, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, and Toyo Tires stating that the use of Ride-On (TPS) does not void their warranties, unless the damage to the tire or wheel has been caused by the sealant."

This video shows product and talks about no need to balance tires.

Just A few videos on the zip tie tire change method very cool.

Dismount

Mount

I am new to forums. Please let me know if the is bad form or thread jacking? Is on topic I think. I'm just not sure how this all works. Thanks

ahhhh... but for y'all south of the border, everything costs less.

My front tire from Jake Wilson lists for $146.98 ... convert that to CDN would be around $210

I did see that the shipping on the Ride-On was way more for you guys, so may not be a option.

The zip tie method though put with the jack stand balance method would put you at $180 plus cost of wheel weights. That is of course you are set up and able to do your own work.

No problem with the zip tie method, its easy to use spoons, too.

Be sure to either remove your brake rotors or use a couple of 4x4's to support the rim and keep the rotors off the ground. The rotors will bend/warp very easily.

I only looked up Michelin for my new Commander II's WRT balance beads and the like. You know if the tire ends up being defective, the tire manufacturer will certainly blame any 3rd party product, and Michelin states that very clearly. Also, if the RideOn works as advertised, you may be riding around with a puncture and not even know it!

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/advice/faq/about-the-purchase-and-use-of-my-tires

[h=3]WHAT ABOUT BALANCING BEADS OR LIQUIDS?[/h]Michelin does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers or any other balancing materials. Tires and Tubes into which these have been injected will not be covered under warranty.

So did you go back to a Radial? Mine has radials on it. I think they still say dont mix radials and bias ply. I skip wheel weights and go with the dynabeads. I would like to go with a Michelin commander 2 on my XCT when its time to change, but it dont seem they make one in size needed.

So did you go back to a Radial? Mine has radials on it. I think they still say dont mix radials and bias ply. I skip wheel weights and go with the dynabeads. I would like to go with a Michelin commander 2 on my XCT when its time to change, but it dont seem they make one in size needed.

I believe it's a bias ply. Apparently you get better mileage out of them. I have a car tire on the rear.