IGNORED

Auto-saved ???????????

Venturous Randy

I just spent about 30 minutes responding to a thread and I don't know what happened, but I must have hit some key or keys and suddenly all the text turned blue and then all was gone. It was in an instant.

Now, I know I am clumsy on the keyboard and REALLY wish I was had taken typing in school, when most of us guys thought was kind of sissy, but I didn't and it is tough. I know I did not hit the delete key and have no idea what caused all the text to instantly blue and suddenly disappear.

I also will try to occasionally save the text on my on, but what I don't understand is how the AUTO-SAVED works. I routinely see the yellow note pop up down in the corner, but if this happens, how the hell do I find the text that was AUTO-SAVED? I can not find any buttons or icons that will let me back up and retrieve my text. :smash2:

What am I doing wrong? :bang head:

Randy

OK, I just typed some text and waited until the Auto-saved note popped up and then highlited the text and deleted it. I then hit Ctrl+Z and it magically came back. :happy34:

WOW and thank you so much. I just hope it works when it does the delete on its own.

Yeah, I know I have a problem with the "nut behind the keyboard" as that is my biggest problem.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

with u randy. its really hard when taking a long time to type, hit submit, get the message that i timed out, hit back button, get back to place where i was typing only to find text is long gone. start from scratch, 3 hours later right back to timed out thingy, now will try control z in future. thank u randy for posting this and thank you tlm 4 suggestion. may get to try it with this post :big-grin-emoticon:

Ctrl+Z is a standard Windows "UNDO" hot key. It will Undo that last thing you did and in many cases, even several previous to the last one.

Another 'tip'... sometimes posting a form you've filled in fails and you loose all that you've entered. Not always, try clicking on the browser's BACK button.

I just spent about 30 minutes responding to a thread and I don't know what happened, but I must have hit some key or keys and suddenly all the text turned blue and then all was gone. It was in an instant.

Now, I know I am clumsy on the keyboard and REALLY wish I was had taken typing in school, when most of us guys thought was kind of sissy, but I didn't and it is tough. I know I did not hit the delete key and have no idea what caused all the text to instantly blue and suddenly disappear.

I also will try to occasionally save the text on my on, but what I don't understand is how the AUTO-SAVED works. I routinely see the yellow note pop up down in the corner, but if this happens, how the hell do I find the text that was AUTO-SAVED? I can not find any buttons or icons that will let me back up and retrieve my text. :smash2:

What am I doing wrong? :bang head:

Randy

What's a keyboard? So "last year" HaHa

You guys are priceless, I have never smiled/laughed so much with some of the stuff you come up with here!!! Randy that head banging emoticon is fantastic, you use it perfectly!!!

Sorry this does not add any real value to the question, I just had to say it!!! Please don't stop.

Indebted Kiwi

OK here are my guesses.

1. You went to type a capital "A" and instead of hitting the shift key you fat fingered it and hit the Control ("Ctrl") key and the "A" key. When you do this you are telling the computer to "select all". This is why everything highlighted in blue.

2. Once everything was selected and highlighted in blue your very next keystroke will replace everything with whatever that keystroke was If it is a character than everything will be gone except for that single character, if it was a space then you will have what appears to be a blank screen.

IF you catch this quick enough you can use the Control + Z to Undo what you just did. You can also access Undo by going to the menu at the very top of the page, under edit there is an Undo command with a reminder of the Ctrl+Z shortcut.

The auto save is not really made for dumb thumbs, it is more made for a computer glitch.

If you type a bunch of stuff, once it does an auto save IF you should exit the window without posting and then come back to the window in the bottom left corner of the edit window there will be a button to "Restore Auto Saved Content". This will get you back to the last auto saved point.

IF I need to leave a window to check something but I am not ready to post, I also do a sort of save.

I will hit Ctrl+A to highlight everything and then hit Ctrl+C to copy everything to the clipboard. That way if I leave the screen and come back and everything is gone, I just have to hit Ctrl+V to copy the contents of the clipboard to the current window.

I hate doing things twice.

OK here are my guesses.

1. You went to type a capital "A" and instead of hitting the shift key you fat fingered it and hit the Control ("Ctrl") key and the "A" key. When you do this you are telling the computer to "select all". This is why everything highlighted in blue.

2. Once everything was selected and highlighted in blue your very next keystroke will replace everything with whatever that keystroke was If it is a character than everything will be gone except for that single character, if it was a space then you will have what appears to be a blank screen.

IF you catch this quick enough you can use the Control + Z to Undo what you just did. You can also access Undo by going to the menu at the very top of the page, under edit there is an Undo command with a reminder of the Ctrl+Z shortcut.

The auto save is not really made for dumb thumbs, it is more made for a computer glitch.

If you type a bunch of stuff, once it does an auto save IF you should exit the window without posting and then come back to the window in the bottom left corner of the edit window there will be a button to "Restore Auto Saved Content". This will get you back to the last auto saved point.

IF I need to leave a window to check something but I am not ready to post, I also do a sort of save.

I will hit Ctrl+A to highlight everything and then hit Ctrl+C to copy everything to the clipboard. That way if I leave the screen and come back and everything is gone, I just have to hit Ctrl+V to copy the contents of the clipboard to the current window.

I hate doing things twice.

You just gave me a massive headache with that post!!!! My head was aching so bad that by time I finished reading it I had to take some painkillers get a drink of rye and go lay down for an hour!!! :happy-emoticon: Hope your happy!