IGNORED

Rear brake line under pressure?

Trader

Not even sure what they are called but I'm Talking about the brake fluid line that runs from the brake pedal switch up to the base of the resivoir. It is held on by hose clamps...that's why I'm wondering if it is just a supply line or if it is under pressure.

Screw type hose clamps and or those "squeeze" type hose clamps are never used on any brake line that I am aware of unless some jerk put it on in hopes of selling a bike, which is possible.

Never know what one does just to sell an item anymore. All trust is gone.

Brake lines under pressure use fittings.

That is the supply fluid for the rear brake master cylinder. The line is never under pressure only gravity flow to the master cylinder. Now the line from the master cylinder to the the brake caliper is under pressure ONLY when the brake is applied. When the pedal is released the pressure goes to zero. :080402gudl_prv: & :beersign:

Not even sure what they are called but I'm Talking about the brake fluid line that runs from the brake pedal switch up to the base of the resivoir. It is held on by hose clamps...that's why I'm wondering if it is just a supply line or if it is under pressure.

Yep, rougeray is correct.

That braided cloth over rubber hose is a low pressure supply line from the rear brake reservoir to the rear brake master cylinder. Factory installed hose clamps.

Another note. Take the hose off where it is connected to the master and drain the fluid into a small jar , can or whatever you have that is not plastic.

After it has drained off take it off the reservoir and take the hose to a shop that makes hoses up for trucking etc. and have them cut you a new piece.

If at all possible do not use a used one from a salvage yard since they can be as bad as the one you already have.

Some truck repair shops make their own hoses up so you can try that but.....make sure you tell them this is for brake line/fluid use as regular hose like fuel likes will dissolve/melt.

Another note. Take the hose off where it is connected to the master and drain the fluid into a small jar , can or whatever you have that is not plastic.

After it has drained off take it off the reservoir and take the hose to a shop that makes hoses up for trucking etc. and have them cut you a new piece.

If at all possible do not use a used one from a salvage yard since they can be as bad as the one you already have.

Some truck repair shops make their own hoses up so you can try that but.....make sure you tell them this is for brake line/fluid use as regular hose like fuel likes will dissolve/melt.

I would advise against this, because the hose is a formed hose and a straight piece might kink restricting fluid intake for the master.

I would advise against this, because the hose is a formed hose and a straight piece might kink restricting fluid intake for the master.

Since the factory replacement was $27.00 and would take more than a week to get I had little option so I used the brake hose I got from the local truck repair place.

The factory bend is so slight it hasn't caused any issues yet but time will tell.

I pulled the rear master and cleaned all the "mud" out of it. It was a mess.

Funny because the rear calipers didn't look to gunned up at all.

That supply hose isn't weeping at all so I'm re-using it.

I've plugged the connection where the front brake line used to be and installed stainless line to the back.

the front master was nowhere near as bad but I cleaned it up anyway and installed 2 stainless lines to the master.

now I just have to bleed them.

• 5 months later...

Are there any links for rebuilding rear brake master cylinder and otherwise any place to buy a good aftermarket master cylinder or a rebuild kit?

My back brake locked up and I found that the rear master wasn't pumping. (I could vacuum bleed but couldn't push fluid out with the pedal). Before I got this far, I cleaned the little holes under the supply line cap figuring the piston was holding pressure on the line. I could see here that the piston wasn't moving but odd the pedal was actuating the push rod...). so I found my old master cylinder and saw that piston was seized, and boy was it full of mud/crud. cleaned that out and removed the snap ring but can't get that split washer off to dissemble the piston from the cylinder. I got the spit water to rotate but can't pry it out.. Is it keyed to the piston?