IGNORED

News to me. A Voyager kit

BlueSky

puc - just to throw a little more kindling on the fire -

IMHO - A motorcycle with a voyager kit is not a trike. It's a motorcycle with a voyager kit attached with 4 tires hitting the pavement. A trike is a motorcycle that has been altered to the point that it is dependant on and only has 3 tires on the bike, not 4

Again, this is jmho -

I was wrong once last year and it's a new year, time to start over.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO - A motorcycle with a voyager kit is not a trike. It's a motorcycle with a voyager kit attached with 4 tires hitting the pavement. A trike is a motorcycle that has been altered to the point that it is dependant on and only has 3 tires on the bike, not 4

Again, this is jmho -

I can see that, I prefer to stick with Trike though Birdy cause I dont want some regulator type of varmint to come along and outlaw em cause they dont have airbags and seat belts :big-grin-emoticon:

Dave,

don't worry about any ruffled feathers here, and don't let a few negative remarks chase you away from a wonderful group of folks! and as far as getting the boss here upset?? gunna hafta work a lot harder than that!! he's a tough bird and very good at defusing a sour thread.

I have ridden the hanigan and the voyager kit, and from my limited experience the voyager is a cheaper way to stay on your cycle and be able to go back to 2 wheels if you wish. however it steers much harder than the hanigan and has less traction .

I hope you were able to take something positive from the thread. have a great day. Mike

Again, this is jmho -

So what this means is that if I grab a Voyager I don't have to admit I'm getting old and need a Trike???:think: Man I can dig that!!:backinmyday::backinmyday:

Dave,

don't worry about any ruffled feathers here, and don't let a few negative remarks chase you away from a wonderful group of folks! and as far as getting the boss here upset?? gunna hafta work a lot harder than that!! he's a tough bird and very good at defusing a sour thread.

I have ridden the hanigan and the voyager kit, and from my limited experience the voyager is a cheaper way to stay on your cycle and be able to go back to 2 wheels if you wish. however it steers much harder than the hanigan and has less traction .

I hope you were able to take something positive from the thread. have a great day. Mike

+1 on EXACTLY what Mike is saying about having no ruffled feathers and not letting negative comments chase you away from the group @mirider.

Hey Mike, spring boarding off Miriders point of view about getting insight from people who have actually owned/ridden/worked on one (I personally still dont see arrogance in that statement - just stands to reason that a person who has owned and "tweeked" on a particular scoot would have a little more knowledge about how it all works) . Are your comments about the Voyager Trike steering harder and having less traction based on actual experience with both machines? Did you have enough play time on the Voy to get to see if you could trim out some of the hard steering using preload as @Condor was mentioning? Is the traction loss thingy something you personally experienced and if so, is it a problem in cornering or straight line or all over?

Wish I owned both types of Trikes and it was summer,, I would go outside and do a full blown video demo of both types and a 10 page essay.

Wish I owned both types of Trikes and it was summer,, I would go outside and do a full blown video demo of both types and a 10 page essay.

Speaking of essays Puc, this winter seems much longer and definitely more boring without one of your adventure novels for us to read and enjoy like last winter!

Speaking of essays Puc, this winter seems much longer and definitely more boring without one of your adventure novels for us to read and enjoy like last winter!

You mean like this Sky? The old "ask and you shall receive" routine brother,,, or,, in this case,,,, the old "careful what you ask for" routine may be :big-grin-emoticon:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?114869-2015-the-way-it-happened-to-Tip-Tweeks-and-me&highlight=Tweeks+maintenance

+1 on EXACTLY what Mike is saying about having no ruffled feathers and not letting negative comments chase you away from the group @mirider.

Hey Mike, spring boarding off Miriders point of view about getting insight from people who have actually owned/ridden/worked on one (I personally still dont see arrogance in that statement - just stands to reason that a person who has owned and "tweeked" on a particular scoot would have a little more knowledge about how it all works) . Are your comments about the Voyager Trike steering harder and having less traction based on actual experience with both machines? Did you have enough play time on the Voy to get to see if you could trim out some of the hard steering using preload as @Condor was mentioning? Is the traction loss thingy something you personally experienced and if so, is it a problem in cornering or straight line or all over?

Puc, here is my take.

traction is a big difference because the hanigan has both rear wheels with independant suspention and a limited slip rear differential and works as well as a rear wheel drive automobile.

hanigan changes the tripple tree and adds more rake in the front causing an easier steering that is needed due to the loss of leaning.

the voyager and the tow pack add on wheel kits are a much much cheaper alternative and are a quick change back to two wheels however they are not a great plan for rough roads or an aggresive driver and require a stronger upper body strength in tight turns or a dragon tail type ride.

the traction concern can be a bit scetchy when the rear wheel dangles over a pothole or a lower center of the road and without the triple tree rake changed it tends to push forword in turns and scrub the front tire bald much sooner.

I hope this helps ya pal

So what this means is that if I grab a Voyager I don't have to admit I'm getting old and need a Trike???:think: Man I can dig that!!:backinmyday::backinmyday:

need a trike -who said they NEEDED a trike. I bought all of my trikes because I wanted them and saw an opportunity to pad my wallet. As a matter of fact I had 2 Honda level 4 trikes in the garage because the purchase price was right. When I found the RSV with the Hannigan, it called my name and I bought it. I can ride a 2 wheeler as well as I ever could, it's just a matter of what I want.

need a trike -who said they NEEDED a trike. I bought all of my trikes because I wanted them and saw an opportunity to pad my wallet. As a matter of fact I had 2 Honda level 4 trikes in the garage because the purchase price was right. When I found the RSV with the Hannigan, it called my name and I bought it. I can ride a 2 wheeler as well as I ever could, it's just a matter of what I want.

I bet there are more 'old' bikers who don't want to give it up than riders who do so because they like the trike. You're a rare bird hummer. On the semantics of the what the Voyager is called, let's just call them 'Out Riggers'. That ought to settle the trike vs. 4 argument.

For those that are interested there are some very explanatory videos on the Voyager web site. HERE That should give members who are snow bound a little entertainment between tossing logs on the fire.... :snow2:

I bet there are more 'old' bikers who don't want to give it up than riders who do so because they like the trike. You're a rare bird hummer. On the semantics of the what the Voyager is called, let's just call them 'Out Riggers'. That ought to settle the trike vs. 4 argument.

For those that are interested there are some very explanatory videos on the Voyager web site. HERE That should give members who are snow bound a little entertainment between tossing logs on the fire.... :snow2:

Condor - The reason I've had so many trikes is $$$$ - I buy and sell, don't care what it is, if someone else wants it and is willing to pay for it, it's outta here. In doing so, I managed to try out nearly all of the trike kits on different bikes out there, even rode my friends Voyager on several day trips. For several months I had a 2007 Honda level 4 with a Champion SA kit and at the same time I had a 2008 Honda Level 4 with a MotorTrike IRS kit. Pretty hard to NOT be able to tell the difference between a SA and an IRS so when I saw the 2009 RSV w/Hannigan I didn't hesitate at all. My wife and drove down to Dayton and I rode it home the same afternoon. My 2007 RSV was THE most comfortable bike I ever had so the Hannigan had to be better. It is !

I'm not sure if anybody else that rides a trike will admit it or not but there (to me) is a huge stress factor difference between 2 wheels and a trike. I have never had a REAL close encounter while on 2 wheels but I have on one of my trikes. A car pulled out in front of us and had I been on 2 wheels, we most definitly would have either had a collision or gone down or perhaps both - who knows. But being on the trike I was able to swerve twice avoiding him and the curb and still got turned around to confront the driver, I pretty sure he was more scared than we were.

Getting back to stress, I can do an all day trip on 2 wheels and upon returning home I'm nearly exhausted. The same exact trip on a trike does not have the same effect, we're not nearly as tired and I blame it all on stress -

Summing up - if someone has a voyager kit and enjoys it, I just as happy as they are but it is not a trike. Just as a Chevy S10 in not a Chevy 1500 Silverado Z71

probably should have mentioned that I just turned 73

A lot of good input on this one. I been bouncing the 3 wheel idea around enough the last couple years. Been told I need to lean to ride and a few other things. Leaving two wheels behind is just something I can't do. We shall see.

I would probably have another 2 wheeler, maybe another 650 Yamaha but when I ride about 500 miles a year I just can't justify paying the insurance for another toy. I'm near insurance poor as it is - Travel Trailer, Trike, Bass boat, new car, new truck, house - gheeeeezz and on top of that I have to buy gas for all my running around on the trike.

I just figured it out - 500 miles@ 25mpg @ $1.33 per gallon = $26.60 that and insurance, i don't know how I'll make it :doh:

My 750 is going in the garage for a Do-over this Spring. I would Definitely log a lot more miles on it when riding close to home just because of type of roads. That big old Venture as much as I love them is made for a decent road not the Cow paths we have here. But I want to run them and refresh my old brain as to where I am!!

My 750 is going in the garage for a Do-over this Spring. I would Definitely log a lot more miles on it when riding close to home just because of type of roads. That big old Venture as much as I love them is made for a decent road not the Cow paths we have here. But I want to run them and refresh my old brain as to where I am!!

What model is your 750, Dan?

1982 XJ 750 Maxim

Nice! 4 cylinder, shaft drive. I was admiring one of those in a parking lot back in the 80's when the owner came out of an auto parts store with some oil. He was a teenager. Said he had recently gotten back from a trip to California. Rear tire was bald. It had over 40k miles on it and he said the only issue with it was burned valves because he never adjusted the valves.

Mine has a little over 20k. Good little scoot. Faster than a 1st Gen light to light!! It may be the answer to all the issues I have going on. You can take it off pavement and wrestle it around. I got several exhausts for it. Time for a quieter one maybe. Ya think so Lewis?? Almost new tires are about 7 or 8 yrs old....

Mine has a little over 20k. Good little scoot. Faster than a 1st Gen light to light!! It may be the answer to all the issues I have going on. You can take it off pavement and wrestle it around. I got several exhausts for it. Time for a quieter one maybe. Ya think so Lewis?? Almost new tires are about 7 or 8 yrs old....

What! No photos! I thought Cowpuc had trained you better than that!

My 85 Kawasaki ZN700 is a similar bike, 4 cyl 74hp, shaft drive. It needs a wider seat and highway pegs for long distance traveling but otherwise would do fine.

DSC04092.jpg

Edited by BlueSky