IGNORED

please compare RSV to 2013 Road Glide Ultra

friesman

Now the customizing begins. :) Let me know if you need any ideas. :) I've added quite a bit to mine. Mostly comfort items other than the Stage One which is only exhaust, air filter, tuning. As I said before, I also removed the header pipe and replaced it with one without the catalytic converter to help with the heat. For the air filter, I actually prefer the stock filter cover to most of the aftermarket ones so I just went with a stage one kit from Fuel Moto that uses the stock filter. Then I added a set of Vance and Hines Monster Rounds. Didn't want anything TOO loud and these are perfect for me. Went with a Dyno PowerVision tuner that I love.

Edited by Freebird

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@cowpuc the 2013 did not come with the LED headlights. Maybe the CVO did but not the standard Road Glide Ultra. I have thought about adding them but just haven't done it yet. The Harley Davidson ones are about $750.00 I think. I haven't looked to see if there are aftermarket versions cheaper. I may very well do it at some point though. I decided that the lighting wasn't bad and so it wasn't a priority for me. Comfort was my first priority. Rider's backrest, highway pegs, a wrap around passenger backrest, truck slider, drink holders, GPS mount, etc. Then I had to add the Bushtec trailer hitch and trailer wiring isolator. Saddle bag guard rails are always high on my list. I tell my wife that they are essential for protecting the high dollar bags but the truth is, I just like the way they look. :) Stage one kit ends up costing some fair bucks also. I shop around and found a great deal on a set of like new Vance and Hines mufflers and got a huge discount on the stage one air filter because Fuel Moto has a great deal if you buy it with the DynoVision Tuner. That tuner was about $700.00 though If I remember correctly. Then there were Ace High Leather grip covers, chrome windshield/fairing trim, luggage rack, saddlebag lid covers, Harley Split Vision mirrors, and I know that I'm forgetting things. Of course I then had to have the Bushtec repainted to match the new bike.....:mo money:

We all know that buying a new bike is just the beginning. I had pretty much run out of things to do to the RSV that Yammer bought so I had to find something else to work on. :)

Like I said, I've thought about selling it but very likely won't. I just can't wrap my mind around letting it go. I can tell you though that Friesman got a great deal. I wouldn't let mine go for that price.

Forgot the handlebars. Swapped out the stock bar for the heritage classic bars. A little more pullback. They are highly recommended by other Road Glide riders but still not enough pullback for me. Will probably swap them for something else in the future. Let's see, I also forgot about he passenger grab bars and the pushbutton fuel door release that keeps you from having to get your key out of your pocket every time you stop for gas. Added an auxiliary outlet in the right faring pocket for charging phone and etc. I'm sure there are other things that I'll think of too.

Edited by Freebird

Dang you Brian ... now I am tossing around the idea of buying this one... it's a good deal considering what they are still selling new 2015s for here ($32-34 g)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/delta-surrey-langley/2015-hd-flhtk-electra-glide-ultra-limited/1132750375

Problem is it's a stretch on my budget since I still have the Vic and the Roadie.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............... :mo money:

One other thing. I have a very good 2013 service manual in .pdf format. It is indexed with clickable links and searchable by key word. Let me know if you need it and I'll upload it and send you a link. It is the official 2013 Harley Davidson Touring Models manual.

Congrats on the bike!

I love my RG Custom, and have done some simple mods that have helped the comfort level a lot. One of the best and cheapest that I've done is add some floorboard extensions. For me the boards were in too close to the frame, and my feet when placed comfortably on the boards, were half on the board and half riding over the outside edge. I ordered either 3/4 or 1 inch wide spacers and now my feet fall perfectly on the boards. Cost me about 30 bucks if I remember right. haven't noticed any problems with them either. It takes about 10 minutes to put them on too.

I agree with Freebird. Get on Roadglide.org. You will get lots of ideas. You can save a lot of coin by doing so. Remember, somebody before you has had the same issues you will soon find. Might as well read about somebody's trial and error than pay for your own.

when I come up with more stuff to help you out, I will let you know......

Congrats on the bike!

I love my RG Custom, and have done some simple mods that have helped the comfort level a lot. One of the best and cheapest that I've done is add some floorboard extensions. For me the boards were in too close to the frame, and my feet when placed comfortably on the boards, were half on the board and half riding over the outside edge. I ordered either 3/4 or 1 inch wide spacers and now my feet fall perfectly on the boards. Cost me about 30 bucks if I remember right. haven't noticed any problems with them either. It takes about 10 minutes to put them on too.

I agree with Freebird. Get on Roadglide.org. You will get lots of ideas. You can save a lot of coin by doing so. Remember, somebody before you has had the same issues you will soon find. Might as well read about somebody's trial and error than pay for your own.

when I come up with more stuff to help you out, I will let you know......

I LOVE the color of Bernies RG too,, wayyy purdy :178:

attachment.php?attachmentid=103102&d=1439092516

DSCN1373.JPG

I LOVE the color of Bernies RG too,, wayyy purdy :178:

attachment.php?attachmentid=103102&d=1439092516

My bike has the Harley Heritage handlebars on it. maybe it will give you an idea of the pullback. Also I am sure your bike has them, but HD makes a set of wind deflector that mounts on the crash bars under your fairing. They look like two plastic paddles. They deflect the air that comes up through your fairings open area that allows your handlebar movement. Also a definite must if they aren't on there.

My stage one kit is a bit of a throw together. I have a Kuryakyn head pipe (non ceramic coated), Rush Big Louie slip on 4 inch diameter mufflers, TTS Mastertune tuner, and a HD Heavy breather air cleaner. I had a Kuryakyn air breather that I didn't like. It was a Kuryakyn package that I used my Rush pipes with. The Mastertune comes with pre programmed map, and with my Rush pipes it wasn't quite right. So I changed my air breather to the HD Heavy Breather (the Kury one hit my leg all the time) before I had to Dyno mine to make it right.

Lots of guys run the Fuel Moto setup as freebird suggested. On the RG forum, another that is recommended is from Dragos. I wouldn't really recommend the Kuryakyn setup unless you use all the components. The guy at the HD shop that did my Dyno didn't like the TTS Mastertune either. He said it is an older version race tuner, and it is hard to dial in on the dyno. He said it is good, just hard to adjust if you have to do so. Now that it is done correctly it is awesome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]103092[/ATTACH]heres a pic its all I have as its back in storage until things warm up around here.. I am impressed with the fit and the finish and I think i got a pretty good price at 20k cdn and its only got 10000kms (6000 miles) on it. The dealer also gave me a 5 year warranty included. Its got the HD LED headlights and the upgraded Sound system too. All of the toys my RSV has.....

cant tell if those are the HD Daymaker headlights or not. If they are that is 750 bucks worth of lights......

Looping through the 3 pages I have a few comments:

1. '13 did not (and the photo does not show) LED headlights. The kuryakyn LED headlights are made by TruckLite and can be had for 1/2 the price under that name. I haven't found who produces the HD LEDs yet.

2. In regards to the heat of the engines. Doing a Full stage 1 (intake, exhaust, and tuner) solves 50% off that issue. On a bike that HAS lower deflectors like and Ultra the heat is a bigger issue, if you ever decide to put lowers on make sure to purchase the VENTED lowers.

3. FuelMoto puts together some pretty nice, cost effective Stage 1 packages with Rush mufflers. If you're looking to make power ALWAYS GO WITH A 2 into 1 headpipe.

4. HD Forums has a touring section with a thread specifically to "cheap" fixes...upgrading your shift linkage for $20, bolting in the saddle bags vs the dzus clips, $5 radio shack alarm

You are correct about the '13 models not coming with the LED lights. I also do not know who makes the ones for HD.

I don't agree with the stage 1 kit solving 50% of the heat issue. I have the stage one and though it may have helped a little, I would say no where near 50%. Even when I later went a step further and replaced the header pipe with a non cat version, the overall improvement is not close to 50% in my opinion. The Road Glide Ultra comes with the lowers (I see that is what you said) and they are vented. Have never ridden one without them so don't know how much the vents or not having the lowers helps.

Fuel Moto is a fantastic company to deal with. If you make any changes, you just send them an email and you get a new program for the tuner. They have an extensive list of programs for most any air filter, exhaust setup that you can imagine. I've done it twice and had an updated program within hours of emailing them. I also agree that the 2 into 1 is best for power but I personally just like the dual setup and I'm satisfied with the power.

HD Forums is also a pretty good place to find information. I visit there from time to time but am not really active there or at the road glide forum. I've seen those cheap fixes on both sites and they are pretty popular. Well, actually this is the first I've heard of the shift linkage upgrade. Honestly didn't know I needed one but will check it out. :) I've never had any issues with the shifter though.

You are correct about the '13 models not coming with the LED lights. I also do not know who makes the ones for HD.

I don't agree with the stage 1 kit solving 50% of the heat issue. I have the stage one and though it may have helped a little, I would say no where near 50%. Even when I later went a step further and replaced the header pipe with a non cat version, the overall improvement is not close to 50% in my opinion. The Road Glide Ultra comes with the lowers (I see that is what you said) and they are vented. Have never ridden one without them so don't know how much the vents or not having the lowers helps.

Fuel Moto is a fantastic company to deal with. If you make any changes, you just send them an email and you get a new program for the tuner. They have an extensive list of programs for most any air filter, exhaust setup that you can imagine. I've done it twice and had an updated program within hours of emailing them. I also agree that the 2 into 1 is best for power but I personally just like the dual setup and I'm satisfied with the power.

HD Forums is also a pretty good place to find information. I visit there from time to time but am not really active there or at the road glide forum. I've seen those cheap fixes on both sites and they are pretty popular. Well, actually this is the first I've heard of the shift linkage upgrade. Honestly didn't know I needed one but will check it out. :) I've never had any issues with the shifter though.

I haven't dealt with the newer HDs that have catalytics, but both HD's I've owned were night and day difference with new head pipes, mufflers, intake and tuner. One thing I did hear in passing is some guys swapping the cat-in-pipe for later model cat-in-muffler head pipes and getting relief from the heat.

I'm lucky, I grew up next to a WELL KNOWN engine builder in the Chicago area...my last bike ('03 Road King) was far from stock just off spare parts he gave me. He builds strong RELIABLE motors and stands by a 2-into-1 will wake up a HD Motor. Just throwing that out there, but everyone wants true duals cause the sound cool.

I missed the black lowers in that picture, its early and I didn't have my coffee yet!

The sift linkage issue - do you have a stock linkage with the "captured ball" ends or does your bike have an after market linkage with heim joints? You can swap the original captured ball ends to heim joints from McMaster Carr for a fraction of the cost of HD Accessory linkage. It removed the slack in the linkage for a much more positive shifter feeling and you can shift while barely lifting your foot. The $5 radio shack buzzer on the factory alarm vs the $100 HD buzzer. There is a lot of "common sense" substitutions on that forum where someone has already done the leg work for you.

I was thinking further about this heat thing and felt that I needed to add a note or two. I said that the stage one kit did not come anywhere near 50%. I have to say that I honestly don't know HOW much it helped. In regards to the temp gauge, very little. As for perceived heat or actual measured temperature? On a hot day stuck in traffic, it is still very hot. That being said though, I don't know how much improvement there is. It is HOT. If I were sitting in traffic though and there was 250 degrees or 230 degrees, I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference. I guess the only way to know for sure would have been to use a heat gun to get measurements before and after under the same circumstances. I talked to a couple of Harley mechanics that are actually very good at their jobs and was told that the Stage One kit and removing the catalytic convertor could lower the temperature as much as 17 degrees. I think that is probably about right but like I said, it is mostly perception. A lot of what you feel is exhaust heat and the oil temperature gauge is not reading exhaust heat.

On a side note. I asked these mechanics and even a couple of good sales people about the new engines with partial water cooling. They have all told me that if going with the water cooled engine is because of the heat, to NOT waste my money. As most of you know, it is not a typical water jacket engine. The cylinders are still air cooled. The water cooling is only for the exhaust port area. They tell me that it was done more to enable Harley to get just a bit more performance out of the engines without melting them down. It does very little, if anything at all, to reduce the felt heat from the engine.

One thing about the RSV....you spend money on chrome and personalizing it. Nothing on mechanical items.

Seems that with the HD money is spent "fixing" the motor. Cam tensioner, heat issues (sounds like lots of money has to be spent trying to reduce the heat), changing the handle bars....all that damn clothing !

Think I'll stick with my '09 Venture. Do regular maintenance - fluid changes, plugs...and just ride it.

All that may be true for some but not all. Many Harley riders have no problem with the heat, I guess less sensitive to it, and the performance. There are a lot of bone stock Harley's on the road. Some RSV riders also spend a considerable amount of money to improve performance. In my case, that included K&N Filters, various mufflers, Dyna 3000 Ignition module, VMax rear end, etc. It wasn't all chrome and etc. Also, a LOT of RSV owners have changed the handlebars. I updated mine with Flanders bars for the same reason that I have changed the bars on the Road Glide.

I probably spent almost as much on improving the performance of the RSV as I have on the Harley. Probably a bit more on the Harley due to the cost of the DynoVision Powertuner but I could have gone with a less expensive tuner had I chose to.

On a side note. I asked these mechanics and even a couple of good sales people about the new engines with partial water cooling. They have all told me that if going with the water cooled engine is because of the heat, to NOT waste my money. As most of you know, it is not a typical water jacket engine. The cylinders are still air cooled. The water cooling is only for the exhaust port area. They tell me that it was done more to enable Harley to get just a bit more performance out of the engines without melting them down. It does very little, if anything at all, to reduce the felt heat from the engine.

I agree that the heat was never much of an issue to me unless you were stuck in traffic and sitting over a heat-pump in 90 deg+ heat. Now I used the bike to commute through Chicago so I did have a few of those "why am I sitting on this rocking potato baker" moments.

As for the water cooling, they were able to cool the valve train (and not the whole engine as you did point out) and build the heads to tighter tolerances and NOT have to deal with the wide range of operating temperatures and metal expansion rates. This in turn made the engine more efficient as well as helped with fuel injection tuning for a specific operating temperature. Like Porsche with the air cooled boxer engines and BMW with the 1200cc boxer, they hit the limits of metallurgy and engine performance without sacrificing longevity.

A friend of mine owns a 2012 Ultra Classicand we ride together as much as we can around Arizona.

He's had two issues since he bought the scoot: 1. An occasional oil leak we haven't been able to find source...from around the oil filter. Intermittent. 2: His shift shaft broke inside the motor somewhere resulting in a partial teardown to repair. Something about dissimilar metals???

Any of these ring a bell?

(sorry for hijacking post but help appreciated)

david

I have often wondered if the trend of the market demanding larger displacement engines hasn't played a big part of the heat issues that are common in the air cooled scoots of the day. Combine that with having to run those two great big coffee can sized pistons on a combustion chamber that is filled with as lean as possible fuel/air mixture to meet regulatory rules and things gotta heat up. I ran my old 74 inch Shovelhead all over the country, including LOTS of desert two tracking, and never really had any complaints about it being to hot to ride.

Regardless of the heat issues and all that, I sure understand completely why folks love those big ol Harleys. There is just something very special about the sound, feel, smell and vibes of straddling those big ol scoots,, something soul stirring... :big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup::7_2_104[1]:

A friend of mine owns a 2012 Ultra Classicand we ride together as much as we can around Arizona.

He's had two issues since he bought the scoot: 1. An occasional oil leak we haven't been able to find source...from around the oil filter. Intermittent. 2: His shift shaft broke inside the motor somewhere resulting in a partial teardown to repair. Something about dissimilar metals???

Any of these ring a bell?

(sorry for hijacking post but help appreciated)

david

Got a neighbor who also loves playing with Harley's - good friend who I have helped build up a number of them now. We built up an 09 Sporty together a few years ago. The build came out really well (94 horse) but that scoot haunted us with a slight oil leak on one of the jugs that we chased FOREVER.. Finally found it, was a bad spot in a casting that was allowing oil to actually seep right thru the aluminum - just one of those freak things.

Got a neighbor who also loves playing with Harley's - good friend who I have helped build up a number of them now. We built up an 09 Sporty together a few years ago. The build came out really well (94 horse) but that scoot haunted us with a slight oil leak on one of the jugs that we chased FOREVER.. Finally found it, was a bad spot in a casting that was allowing oil to actually seep right thru the aluminum - just one of those freak things.

That's kind of what we are thinking....the dissimilar metal thing strikes again.

Thanks Puc!

Interesting ... there was a factory recall on certain Victorys with a similar problem. In the beginning I thought mine might have been one but it turned out to be an improperly installed crank case vent tube.

The tube hooks back into the air intake just under the tank on the left side. Some "vapors" dripped a bit of oil onto the fins. Kinda freaked me out at the time.

that is the dealer pic of the bike when they got it in for the trade in, its has the Daymakers installed now and yes they were about 800 bucks retail.

Brian

cant tell if those are the HD Daymaker headlights or not. If they are that is 750 bucks worth of lights......