IGNORED

E-cigarettes

BIG TOM

Ok ,I've done it again. Threw out the smokes and went to the electronic cigarettes.. It's been about 2 months now and it seems to be working. haven't lit up one so far, but now its the slow process of getting off the nicotine....Hope I can beat it this time... Its try no. 4.. The last time I went 2 years before lighting up... anyone use these e-cigarettes to quit ? I can use some advise here. please share...

It took me about 5 or 6 tries to switch from regular to ecigs ... my biggest problem was that i didn't want some fruity candy chocolatey flavor. I wanted something that still tasted like a damn cigarette. I spent about 4 months mixing my own juice until I found a few flavors I liked and even one that I found pretty damn close to the real thing (i normally smoke Camel 99's). After that the rest was easy. Then in order to lower my nicotine, I switch so a "sub-ohm" unit, which puts out more "vapor / cloud" per pull and switched from 12mg nicotine down to 3. You get more nicotine per pull with sub-ohm, but not 4 times more. The added FEEL of the drag with the thicker vapor was just enough for me to feel like i was smoking something even as the nicotine lessened.

I've guided a couple people through the process then they switch to 1mg then to 0mg nicotine and at that point their "habit" is harmless.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to help out as I can.

JB

I made the switch last July. I had bought my "VAP" unit while enroute home from Venture West Yreka but didn't use it much until the beginning of July when I went "cold turkey" on the cigarettes. I started with 8mg nicotine and am now down to 3mg.

@GothicJB ... thanks for mentioning those "sub-ohm" ones. I've been wondering about how that worked when I see others with them. Gonna look deeper into that.

What I find is the e-cig aka VAP allows me to continue with the "habit" of smoking but is allowing my body to rid itself of the harmful crap from the cigs.

Unfortunately about 3 weeks ago I arrived at work only to find my VAP battery had died. By late afternoon I was craving so went and bought one of those flavoured cigar thingies called "Prime Time". Since then I've been alternating between them and the VAP. That is partly to do with some stress I've been going through leading up to Christmas; however, that's all over now and I will get back "on track" with the VAP soon as I am comitted to ending my smoking habit.

Good luck to all who are quitting or trying to quit. It is THE toughest "drug" habit to quit. I've been a smoker for 54 years. It takes a lot to rid yourself of that.

Tom,

I know it is hard to quit. I went tough it several years back and have never lit up since. Cant stand the smell of cigarettes or cigars at all now.

As for the E-Cigs, as expressed in this link, this is my major concern with them. I ask you to PLESASE take a minute and read this.

I wish you the best of luck my friend.

The way I quit was every time I wanted a cigarette, I just picked up a nasty old ash tray and smelled it. Didn't take long and I couldn't stand the smell anymore.. .:happy34:

http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/e-cigarettes-and-lung-health.html

Tom,

I know it is hard to quit. I went tough it several years back and have never lit up since. Cant stand the smell of cigarettes or cigars at all now.

As for the E-Cigs, as expressed in this link, this is my major concern with them. I ask you to PLESASE take a minute and read this.

I wish you the best of luck my friend.

The way I quit was every time I wanted a cigarette, I just picked up a nasty old ash tray and smelled it. Didn't take long and I couldn't stand the smell anymore.. .:happy34:

http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/e-cigarettes-and-lung-health.html

Be careful with the E-smokes, there are nasty stories out there about them blowing up, burning peoples mouths, throats, and lungs. the cheap ones are just that - cheap.

I quit cold turkey over 15 years ago, hardest thing I ever did but definitely glad I did. Keep at it, it does eventually get easier.

Once you get passed the initial withdrawal and hand to mouth habit, the key to long term quitting is learning to deal with the stress of life without smoking, because there will always be stress in your life.

Simply quit. I quit "cold turkey" some 30 plus years ago. I won't make any friends with this comment but, if you want to quit...just do it! Switching to those dorky looking e-cigs only prolongs the process. My feelings are that if you want to quit, you will. If you don't want to quit, then you will not. The day I decided to give them up I bought a carton of Luckies. I opened the first pack, dropped it into my uniform pocket and never took one to light. Over the next week or so I emptied the pack by giving them to friends as they would ask if I had a cigarette. I went through about two packs that way, not smoking just giving to people who wanted to "borrow" a smoke. After about a month, I wadded up the rest of the carton and tossed it in the dumpster at the barracks. Just quit, don't substitute something else for them.

Now I'll put my soap box away for a while....smile.

Simply quit. I quit "cold turkey" some 30 plus years ago. I won't make any friends with this comment but, if you want to quit...just do it! Switching to those dorky looking e-cigs only prolongs the process. My feelings are that if you want to quit, you will. If you don't want to quit, then you will not. The day I decided to give them up I bought a carton of Luckies. I opened the first pack, dropped it into my uniform pocket and never took one to light. Over the next week or so I emptied the pack by giving them to friends as they would ask if I had a cigarette. I went through about two packs that way, not smoking just giving to people who wanted to "borrow" a smoke. After about a month, I wadded up the rest of the carton and tossed it in the dumpster at the barracks. Just quit, don't substitute something else for them.

I have to agree with at least the part of this that is in red. I know nothing about e-cigs other than they seem to be a crutch and in vogue right now. I tried several times to quit but with no success. My final attempt was to attend a mass hynotisim class and I'm convinced that it worked not so much of being 'hypnotized' but that I had FINALLY decided that I wanted to quit. Haven't had nor wanted one since an hour before the class, that was in 1990.

Good luck Tom with however or whatever works for you - I just don't think e-cigs are the answer tho

Tom and whoever may be thinking of quitting, do it before its too late. I just found out this morning I got lung cancer wide spread. Had a operation 2 years ago for it guess it didn't get it all. going to be a hard fight, wish me luck. I quit 5 years ago or so, guess I should have sooner.

Tom and whoever may be thinking of quitting, do it before its too late. I just found out this morning I got lung cancer wide spread. Had a operation 2 years ago for it guess it didn't get it all. going to be a hard fight, wish me luck. I quit 5 years ago or so, guess I should have sooner.

So sorry to hear this jonesy. Best wishes sent your way...!!

I got divorced and leaving the court room I put a smoke in my mouth looked at it down my nose and said "I'm going to give up two bad habits at once" tossed them in the trash . 1984. If I was to have one I know I'd be back at it. Best of luck, your tougher than that plant.

I'd have to agree with this. I didn't actually switch to ecigs to "quit" I did it to cut down since smokes went up to almost $8 a pack. Just turns out that once I found a flavor that worked it just happened that I rarely smoked regular smokes. In fact I still occasionally do.

Most truthful point of the above comment though is if you want to quit then quit. If you don't WANT to quit, then it's gonna be rough.

I know it will sound like "snake oil" but seriously look into Rick Simpson oil, RSO and watch run from the cure (1 and or 2).

I personally have seen success with two people and you can find testimonials all over YouTube.

I'm sure it's not a magic bullet for everyone but I know I'd be on a plane to a legal state without a second thought if I was diagnosed.

I do not smoke. I would've a long time ago, but I can't find any smoker I know that would actually recommend me to start. I was raised among a bunch of smokers and I hate it. My dad died in 1999 at the age of 61 from lung cancer from smoking, my mom now has COPD from smoking and has to carry an oxygen tank. My brother has COPD from smoking and just had an open heart surgery because of hardening of the arteries from smoking. My best friend in the whole world died two years ago at the ripe old age of 51 from lung cancer, he was a smoker. We buried my 63 year old uncle in June who died from lung cancer. He had quit smoking a year ago, and was puffing on those stupid looking e-cigs. I have a very short pity fuse for people who are killing themselves with this stupid habit. If anybody on this forum can read Jonesy's above post, and still put any form of a cigarette to their lips, then they need to have their heads examined, and get to counseling ASAP. Please don't get mad at me, and please please please please understand my heart. I am posting these strong words because I deeply care for our members here. Just stop the smoking NOW. Quit cold turkey just like others have already mentioned they did. Quit pussy footing around with it. E-cigs aren't freaking answer. Just stop it and deal with the withdrawals and get down the road from it. I know it aint easy. It's truly one of the hardest things human beings have to do, to stop a nasty habit that is in their bloodstream, but STOP!

Love you guys.

BL

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I'm back on the smokes... again!

Just before xMas I was at work and my e-cig battery died first thing after I got there. I made it to about 3:30PM and just had to have something so I went and bought a cigarello (mini cigar) and smoked it. hmmmmm that was good. Next day I bought a pack ... stayed on those over the holidays and then started buying these "thin" cigs ... been smoking them since. 20 to a pak ... lasts me 2 days.

I'll probably dump them eventually in favour of the e-cig ... just not decided at this time.

@bongobobny as a reform smoker I can say.... I wish that would be enough. There is more than just one addiction in place with smokers. Not just the nicotine. There is chemical additives in the tobacco and the paper product as well as the sociological addiction.

I smoked for 30 plus years. I knew I needed to quit. I wanted to quit. I needed help though. One day my employer made his staff an offer that was my first crutch.... he offered us $500 to quit. That was a lot of spare change to a guy with a wife, 4 teenagers and a mortgage.

I chose to take the gamble and try quitting. I went to my doctor and asked him if there was any help he could prescribe to me. He did two things, gave me a prescription for a product called Zyban and told me to phone him before I lit another cigarette. The Zyban works on the quit smoking. It does have other side effects that may not be everyone's idea of fun. For me, I broke out in hives, was off work two weeks, on meds to clear that up. When I went back to work there was a pack of smokes in my van..... I tossed them in a garbage can. Seven months later I lost my oldest sister to Cancer. She had never had a cigarette in her life. Her late husband who had died a few years earlier of Lung Cancer had smoked heavily. On the day Sister died I wanted a smoke so bad..... then..... I thought...... that would be the LAST thing my sister would want me to do. It has been about 14 years now I think. I was told by someone that if you are counting the days or weeks or months then you have not quit, just taking a break.

My hints to help: do it, decide you are doing it and do it. Change as many of your habits as you can. Play solitaire with real cards. Change your radio station in your car. Take a different route to work. Go for a walk, not 5 miles required, walk up the street and say hi to a neighbor, go to the mall and just walk around, instead of a "smoke break" at work go for a walk up the block and back. Do not start eating candies although some sugar free gum is not too bad. Take the money you have saved from smokes and put it in a pickle jar or open a separate bank account, I bought a fish finder for the boat.... always wanted one but could never afford one.

E-cigs in my opinion are bad in their own ways. I can sell you Propylene Glycol in 5 gal or 45 gallon drums if you wish but I would not recommend you you smoke it. The habit of smoking is not being broken using the E-cigs.

Bite the bullet and Just Do It. I know it is hard but do it. when you are at home and really need a smoke.....go kiss your wife.... assuming she don't smoke.

I did it so I know you can. @SilvrT in BC quit smoking aids are free. One thing I feel our current government has done correctly.

I hope this helps just one person.... all others are a bonus

Keep in mind that smoking is not a natural thing to do. You had to teach/train yourself to do it and most suffered thru that part. Also keep in mind that even when you are not smoking that you will still have a cloud of smoking stench around you constantly, on your clothes, on you hair and particularly on your breath.

Randy