IGNORED

Spark plug removal

Sure, the easiest way is to ride it to a VR maintenance day and have one of these geniuses walk you thru it the first time :Laugh:

You have to get to the plugs first, remove the plastic side covers that your knees rub against on the sides of the bike. I havent had the lower cowling on a 1st Gen in a long time but I am thinking you may need to take those off to get to the plugs too. Pulling the wire caps off the plugs can be difficult - dont get to agressive on pulling directly on the wires - its tight in there but pulling straight up on the caps themselves will do ya best. Look at the end of the caps and make sure they each have the rubber seal grommet attached on the end of cap when you lift em off, if its stuck down on the plug you will need to fish them out with needle nose so you can get a socket over the plug.

Using compressed air, blow down around the plugs so any debris is discharged. I am a little persnickedy about that debris and usually will take carb cleaner and spray down in those areas next and then reblow them out again (I dont like junk falling into my engine). Take an 18mm plug socket (a plug socket works best cause they usually have the little rubber gripper inside of them that holds the plug inside the socket while your lifting it out of the cavity on the head) with a reducer for a 1/4 inch drive. Use 1/4 extensions and a ratchet to remove plugs - rightsy tightsy lefty loosey (they will be right handed threads). Sort of a tight area to work in but not that bad after you have done it once.

On a side note, I also use one of those cheapy little "tin stamped" OEM plug sockets that you use a boxed end wrench - I am thinking it is a standard cheapy tool kit wrench. In all honesty, I have used that thing a LOT for pulling plugs. Works pretty dog gone good but it takes more time cause ya gotta take the box end wrench off and on every 1/4 turn.. Kinda slow but I use it pretty effectively..

That all help? You need pics?

By the way, your not stupid!! Stupid people dont ask questions like you are asking!!!:thumbsup:

You also need an 18mm thin walled socket made especially for removing plugs. I figure you might know that. Don't ask me how much trouble I had finding one of those when the plugs needed to be checked. I went to about 6 or 7 stores looking for it after the hubs went to 2 stores. I found it at Sears finally. Lucky me! Good luck! I didn't find the job too hard after taking the plastic off. If I can do it, so can you. Puc gave you very good tips. I'd say from the gas tank down and fwd are the plastic pieces that need to come off if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have an 07 and need to do this too, so thank you for asking stupid questions.

Yours is a different beast I did mine while installing passing lamps I had the gas tank off pulled the dog bones and used the plug wrench that is in the tool kit was pretty easy. After installing OME plugs heard allot of good things about irideom plugs kinda wish I had got them instead.

Can anybody tell me the easiest way to remove the 4 spark plugs from 1989 venture royale. I have a both the owners manual and service manual. I could not find it in the manual or doing searches here and on google. It may seem like a stupid question but "I am actually stupid".

Cowpuke, errr, @cowpuc gave a pretty good synopsis for changing the plugs on a First Gen Venture. @GAWildKat's suggestion to find a THIN walled 18mm socket is valid as well. Many, if not most 18mm sparkplug sockets are too thick walled to fit into the spark plug well of the Venture.

My preferred method (after thirty years of owning the beasts) to change the spark plugs on the Venture is to use the stock, OEM spark plug socket that came with the Venture, but instead of using the screwdriver to turn the socket ½ turn at a time, use a 22mm ratcheting box end (e.g. Gear Wrench, Craftsman) on the hex opposite of the spark plug.

If you have access to a compressor and a 3/8 drive air ratchet that is how I take mine out.Use a long 3/8 drive extension and you can do it standing up. You will have to remove 4 pieces of plastic,the side covers on each side and the plastic radiator shrouds on each side. If you leave the plastic bar that goes across the front attached to one side its one less thing to bother with. When I put mine back together I start it with the socket and extension then finish with the air ratchet. If you lower the air pressure until it will just drive but stall out under any resistance then you can finish with a torque wrench. 18 lbs I think.

Find a piece of tubing so that once the plug is loose, slip the tubing over the top and spin the tubing which unscrews the plug. Also make it MUCH easier putting them back in using the tubing to start the threads without cross-threading.

This'll probably work. 2.00 +2.50 shipping. 18mm sparkplug wrench. I also use 3/8 extension with a universal joint adapter. Also, a piece of tubing works well to do most of the turning it in and out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-3-8-Drive-18mm-Spark-Plug-Socket-USA-23031-/330914026270?hash=item4d0c03531e:m:mVNtQYZxY5jDlwxA20xb0zQ

A parts store might loan you one. If you get caught in a pinch I have a tool kit and don't live far in Crestview.