IGNORED

LED strip went bad

djh3

I installed some LED strip lights Oh I dont know a year or so ago. I made brackets to go under the bags and those have 2 strips. One strip is running lights and one turn signals. So the other day I was checking things out and the one that is running lights is not working. So did the usualy , check ground (even though same ground for turn signals that still work) Power connectors etc. So do they but out? I thought they were pretty much a lifetime long thing. Also used some of the same strip up under the gas tank for back lighting and they seem dimmer than originally installed. The other side of the bike they are fine.

Don't know if I have your answer, but LEDs are a fussy bunch. They need the right amount of voltage to run and if they are overpowered, they'll burn out.There is a range that they will operate in, it's around 3 volts, and the closer they are to the top limit, the brighter. They come with their own circuitry to govern the voltage.

You definitely need to make sure any LED light strips for a motorcycle are IP65 rated, then you don't need to worry about the rain, snow, or any moisture. Also need to make sure they are made to run on a 12volt system. Most LED lights should have a life span of 30k hours to 50k hours.

They were 12v and supposedly waterproof. No matter I have decided to install some LED clearance lights for running lights. One strip of them still work off the signals so for now I'm good with it. I probably should have just went this route to start with as they are brighter. I just had not heard of anyone saying their strip had died and thought it was strange.

I purchased and installed some Kury Stealth Lights and about a month later only half of the LEDs work now (on the right side). A lot of money wasted in my opinion.

This just adds to the rationale as to why I have lost all faith in any Kury product.

Kury stealth Fairing lights.jpg

They were 12v and supposedly waterproof. No matter I have decided to install some LED clearance lights for running lights. One strip of them still work off the signals so for now I'm good with it. I probably should have just went this route to start with as they are brighter. I just had not heard of anyone saying their strip had died and thought it was strange.

I am running LED clearance instead of reflectors on both Ventures. No problems so far. The LED strips I put under the fairing on the 1st Gen are still running despite rain and such...though we don't have much of that around here.

Biggest problem I've had has been a minor annoyance. The power wires from the LED strips are tiny...and keeping them soldered to my bigger wires seems to be problematic with vibration.

Just came back from a 400 mile run to Phoenix and around the area there and noticed I've got a headlight issue with 1st gen. Low beam is on but very low, high beam is fine. No warning from computer as it seems the low beam is on just enough to not trigger the computer. Weird! It's a Sylvania Ultra Star bulb. Lasted two years. Guess that's good.

I am running LED clearance instead of reflectors on both Ventures. No problems so far. The LED strips I put under the fairing on the 1st Gen are still running despite rain and such...though we don't have much of that around here.

Biggest problem I've had has been a minor annoyance. The power wires from the LED strips are tiny...and keeping them soldered to my bigger wires seems to be problematic with vibration.

Just came back from a 400 mile run to Phoenix and around the area there and noticed I've got a headlight issue with 1st gen. Low beam is on but very low, high beam is fine. No warning from computer as it seems the low beam is on just enough to not trigger the computer. Weird! It's a Sylvania Ultra Star bulb. Lasted two years. Guess that's good.

Boy you got that right. I too soldered tiny wires to the LED strips. They get so brittle and break off soooo easy. Last night while working on the running light part of the right lights it broke off twice. Being I was adding the clearance lights anyways I just skipped it and didn't hook them back up.