IGNORED

new venture for 2016

mike042

Good question Mike. My wife Tippy and I have asked the question of "will Yamaha ever come out with a new Venture, maybe using the new V-Max motor?" all across America. The most often response we have gotten is "probably not" and usually when pushed for more, that answer is backed up with "if/when they do take another serious shot at the big touring market it would make more sense for them to use the Strat/Roadliner platform to build on"..

I got into an extensive discussion about the whole thing last year while out at the rally in Sturgis S.D. waiting for other VR members at the Yamaha shop. One of the sales guys there noticed our older, slightly used 83 and said "looks like you folks are due for a new scoot" :confused24:. While I could tell "Tweeks" (our bike) didn't really care for his comment - it did inspire a very good discussion when I replied with "just waiting on the new V-Max V-4 powered Venture". He shot from the hip and said it probably wont happen for a number of reasons. Main reason being, the major trend in the touring market being the huge draw to much lower powered, belt drive V twin motors.. Mentioning the fact that everyone even remotely interested in building a touring bike to sell in today's U.S. market is basically chasing a piece of the Harley pie. Then he mentioned something else that I had not even considered,, he was telling how much of a hard sell the new V-Max has been,, less then stellar according to him. He asked me how many of them I had seen on the road - had to admit, in all the thousands of miles we have covered riding cross country I have yet to actually see one on the road.. He made the point that the target market of the new Max is really slim, it does not fit into the Sport Bike market, the Sport Touring market and the cruiser market is flat out owned by under powered Harley's (he was comparing a 75 horse HD to 175 horse Yam Max) or their clones (like the Strat). Bottom line, could see where/why Yamaha would be hesitant to intro a new Venture when it would probably face some similar dynamics in its own way. A real bummer for those of us who LOVE the Yam V-4..

So, what is a person to do.. Definitely see your point with the Kaw's and Honda's,, GORGEOUS.. I also really like what Harley has done with the modern day Twin Cam - getting it down right dependable now that they got the cam chain tensioners ironed out. The new Indian is :178: and the Victory line has also came a long ways from their catastrophic beginnings. Rode a newer Beemer a while back - talk about amazing MPG and good rider in its own right.. In the end though, knowing the prices of all the afore mentioned,, I still think I would do some serious shopping for a new "left over" RSV and expect to not pay a dime over 12 for it, just going with my gut that they are still hiding out there somewhere. I know this may sound crazy but I look at it this way,, I know these Yam V-4, shaft drive driven scoots are good for 300k. That would be 300,000 miles for 12,000 dollars.. If I had to spend 24,000 dollars for a new bike (that is not that unusual if you price em out) then I need to see a verifiable 600k motorcycle :beer: with no major work like swapping out expensive drive belts or replacing crank shafts.

I LOVE threads like this, thanks for posting it!!

Puc

Personally, I'd like to see a new Venture that was built to go "toe-to-toe" with the 'Wing.

But that's not likley to happen any time soon.

That market segment is too expensive, too small and the 'Wing has long since locked it down tight as a frogs ass when it's underwater....

How long did it take to go from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen Venture, about six years? Given that, we may have a while to wait.

Randy

Yea but it seems like 6 years back when we were younger is like 2 years now,, at least my aging body thinks so..:big-grin-emoticon:

Yep, I've been looking at the Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT myself. Been checking it out & like what I see. However, not thrilled with chain instead of shaft drive. 300 lbs lighter, though. I'm thinking that will become more & more desirable the more I get past 60. I've read lots of good things about it. Going to look at it again at the Bike Show in Long Beach in a couple more weeks. Enjoy your search.

well been waiting as long as I can. has anyone heard anything about a 2016 venture? or was It all just hype from Yamaha. guess ill have to look at Honda gw. or Kawasaki is looking pretty promising too

Yep, I've been looking at the Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT myself. Been checking it out & like what I see. However, not thrilled with chain instead of shaft drive. 300 lbs lighter, though. I'm thinking that will become more & more desirable the more I get past 60. I've read lots of good things about it. Going to look at it again at the Bike Show in Long Beach in a couple more weeks. Enjoy your search.

Take a good hard look at a Yamaha Supre Tenere. Same class as a Versys, but with shaft drive and cruise control. Awesome bike!

Main reason being, the major trend in the touring market being the huge draw to much lower powered, belt drive V twin motors.

I have to agree with that statement, somewhat. BUT !!

Yamaha built a really good touring bike in the 80's that went after the Gold Wing. I don't know why exactly it didn't become the household name that the wing did. It handled better, it looked better in my eyes. ( I had an 83 and an 86).

Isn't that what BMW is doing with the GTL and the RT, and Triumph with the Trophy?

In IMHO I think that's what Yamaha should use the V-max motor for. Build a touring bike that goes after the Gold Wing. And with a few tweeks Yamaha could make a cruiser to go with it ,like BMW's concept bike!!

Something like the BMW 1000 gtl:

http://justbikes.in/upload/bike_wallpaper/398/bmw-tour.jpg

Toss a VMax 1700 in there (no watering down, full hp), take some styling cues from the 83-91 bikes (just cues, not a rehash, kinda like what Ford/Chevy did with the mustang/camaro), give it some nice sticky (but decent lasting) radials, top grade adjustable suspension, some decent comvieninces like heated grips Bluetooth integration and such, make it so it looks good with and without the top trunk and set it loose on the public.

Cost?

Meh, bikes are through the roof on prices everywhere anyways. Everything from 250-1700 streetbikes are just stupid priced these days. But despite the public outcry of having no money, they all still sell. So make it comparable to the BMW or 'wing in price and see how it goes...

i think i will stick with the 83 to 92 they are they are the best bikes going and you can pick one up for the price of tax on a new one and take the rest of the money and travel in comfort until i can not drive any more i see people driving them at 85 i have 15 more years to go no brainier blainer

Personally I like the looks of a "traditional" bagger like the my 07 RSV a Harley or an Indian. I have decided that if I buy something it will be next spring/summer. I decided that it will be a Harley Ultra Classic CVO Screamin Eagle. I will buy a used one with low miles. 2013/2014 There are plenty out there. Nothing wrong with my RSV, but I want something different to ride. If those "supposed" spy shot that circulated awhile back are any indication of Yammies direction, I definitely would not buy one. The CVO is more my taste, so that will be the direction I will be going in. You just may see my Venture up for sale next year on this site.

Personally I like the looks of a "traditional" bagger like the my 07 RSV a Harley or an Indian. I have decided that if I buy something it will be next spring/summer. I decided that it will be a Harley Ultra Classic CVO Screamin Eagle. I will buy a used one with low miles. 2013/2014 There are plenty out there. Nothing wrong with my RSV, but I want something different to ride. If those "supposed" spy shot that circulated awhile back are any indication of Yammies direction, I definitely would not buy one. The CVO is more my taste, so that will be the direction I will be going in. You just may see my Venture up for sale next year on this site.

Still thinking Trike at all @rickardracing or ya gonna stay with two wheels? Either way, gotta agree with ya, those HD's are sure enough flat out GORGEOUS:guitarist 2::thumbsup:!! Some thing you might want to consider is shopping winter sales. I know a couple years ago I was in our local Harley shop during a summer sales event, goofing off as usual. Got in a discussion with the sales guy after noticing the Street Glide was the same price as the Electra Glide Classic = the Classic had wayyyy more goodies on it so I asked why and a fairly lengthy discussion took place about why they were priced the same (Street Glide = basically a stripped down version of the Classic).. Long story short, was back in the same shop in January and noticed the Classic still sitting there. Same salesmen I talked to earlier walked up and asked if I wanted to "steal a left over". Price was now down almost 6 grand and even more if I would pay cash! Just thinking you may be able to buy new during the off season as you would pay for used during the season. Of course, talking CVO,, might not make any difference cause those CVO's are :178::banana:..

So, what is your favorite color combo if you dont mind me asking (if it's a secret,,, pay no attention to the crazy man behind the puter screen :happy34:)? Also, what are your thoughts about the "new" water cooled exhaust valve system,, seems like the year/model your talking was water cooled wasn't it? We test rode em a number of times (recalling the trike riding you told me about - thinking that was probably water cooled?) and both Tip and I thought there really was an improvement in rear jug/head temps - over all a really nice feature, especially if riding 2 up in high tempts, IMHO.

As always, nice chatting scoots with ya brother!:big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc

Main reason being, the major trend in the touring market being the huge draw to much lower powered, belt drive V twin motors.

I have to agree with that statement, somewhat. BUT !!

Yamaha built a really good touring bike in the 80's that went after the Gold Wing. I don't know why exactly it didn't become the household name that the wing did. It handled better, it looked better in my eyes. ( I had an 83 and an 86).

Isn't that what BMW is doing with the GTL and the RT, and Triumph with the Trophy?

In IMHO I think that's what Yamaha should use the V-max motor for. Build a touring bike that goes after the Gold Wing. And with a few tweeks Yamaha could make a cruiser to go with it ,like BMW's concept bike!!

Gotta agree with ya Mab,, how the Honda Wing came out so far ahead in sales in the touring war with Yamaha back in the 80's is beyond me too.. Having owned, ridden, bought/sold both I always felt like the Wing was a "residential" grade bike back then and our Yams were "commercial" grade (probably sounds goofy but I remember actually saying that to customers back then). The Yam was way more comfortable (far as I am concerned, aint nothing shy of a purpose built Chopper that seats like a 1st Gen), would run circles around the Honda and get way better MPG's in the process.

I think Yamaha kind of shot themselves in the foot by holding back in the ad campaigns back then. I can still remember the words to the Honda song they used in the ad's,, "hills, tree's, flower's and bee's all looking like a picture post cardddd,, get chur self a Honda..." = Honda went all out, Yam - not so much.. In the end, Yamaha lost it's shirt in sales and never even came close to catching up. Thinking maybe Yamaha remembers those days and, with current economic climate,, dont wanna risk another losing battle - thinking the modern day Wing folk are some very loyal enthusiast (why not - those new Wings are AWESOME machines).

In a reverse of that, I also remember how Yamaha dethroned the mighty V-65 Magna big time with the V-Max, grabbed the title of the most powerful Muscle Bike - scored a major hit that, like Honda did with the Wing, became a "cult" bike. Never really got dethroned (as far as "muscle bikes" - not the same as a "sport bike") as far as an affordable muscle and maybe Yam was thinking that when they turned out the new Max. Problem there-in is I wonder if they should have taken a close look at what has happened to the whole "muscle bike" idea - all they had to do was check out sales on the HD V-Rod (their number competitor in that market) = horrible sales.. Just not a lot of interest.. Sure fun to yak about though aint it:big-grin-emoticon:

Puc, I have to sell my RSV first so I have a down payment. Basically looking in the spring. I have to see how work goes through the winter. I would like a RSV Hannigan trike for vacation/long weekend use. I do not want to go 3 wheels permanently just yet. The CVO new is $40k. I looked at a used 2013 CVO this week, has 6200 miles on it and they want $26k. A lot for a used bike, but considering what it has and what it cost 3 years ago, not a bad price. I would be interested in a new Ultra Low for the right price. Color choice on the CVO, I am open. Not interested in red though. I do like the orange, the one I looked at this week is white, silver, gray, black combo. Regular Ultra Low, I really like the emerald green over black and the Amber over platininum.

Toss a VMax 1700 in there (no watering down, full hp), take some styling cues from the 83-91 bikes (just cues, not a rehash, kinda like what Ford/Chevy did with the mustang/camaro), give it some nice sticky (but decent lasting) radials, top grade adjustable suspension, some decent comvieninces like heated grips Bluetooth integration and such, make it so it looks good with and without the top trunk and set it loose on the public.

I totally agree, an excellent platform to work with. I'm no engineer, so I don't know what kind of retooling would be needed to make it work. So with that being said, and it's been said a hundred times before. Why doesn't Yamy fix what they have, ABS, fuel injection, and few more up grades. Sales must have been fairly good in the first 10 years or Yamaha would have trashed it early. They don't need to reinvent the mouse trap!

Harley has had a beautiful bike for many years, they just keep tweeting to make it modern. They aren't fixing what ain't broke. Same thing with the Gold Wing.

Then again I don't make the big bucks the CEO's and CFO's make in these big corporations, And the decisions they make may not be what I like or make since, but they have their reasons.

Not so fast folks. As I stated in a thread back the last week of September, the corporate Yamaha folks at Bikes Blues and BBQ told me Yamaha is going to have announcements for 2016 products in October, November and December. Well, they added products the first week of October, then added some more last week. Now, looking at their website, they are still showing the 2015 FJR, not a 2016 model yet. So, does that mean they will announce their 2016 touring models in December? Who knows. Remember, the V Stars are considered cruisers, not tourers like the Venture, and Yammy shows the 2016 VStars on their site. Maybe, just maybe, Yamster will announce their touring models in December which will include a 2016 FJR sport tourer, aaaaannnnnddddd, a brand new 2016 Venture tourer.

As as we all know, it's highly unlikely, but we can all hope, huh?

Funny how everyone here drinks the Yamaha Kool-Aide. Every year for the last 5 years you all sit here hoping and praying for a miracle. How is it working for you? In reality......if they did actually come out with a new bike.........how many of you would actually pull the trigger and drop the cash for one??? I bet not many.

.....if they did actually come out with a new bike.........how many of you would actually pull the trigger and drop the cash for one??? I bet not many.

No... but it would give me hope of picking up a sweet "new to me" used one in a few years.

Funny how everyone here drinks the Yamaha Kool-Aide. Every year for the last 5 years you all sit here hoping and praying for a miracle. How is it working for you? In reality......if they did actually come out with a new bike.........how many of you would actually pull the trigger and drop the cash for one??? I bet not many.

Wow Rick! Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel! Lol. Man, now I feel like such a fool to have hope in my heart. What was I ever thinking. Thanks so much for reaching deep down in that caring heart of yours and snapping me back into reality. I will now go back to my old normal world of "no hope for Yamaha".

My question is why is everyone looking at a new bike from Yamaha do yours have 200,000 miles on them or just want a new bike? I have only had my 99 for 1 year but I can't imagine getting a new one till it is totally wore out. It rides nice easy to work on and enough stuff to make it my own. What am I missing or do the rest of you have a ton of miles on yours?