IGNORED

DL650 V-Strom

eagleeye

I been wanting a vstrom as well, several folks here on motocampers ride em, everyone that I've spoken with love theirs, maybe they will chime in. I've been thinking about selling my vtx (which I love and took on a 3K trip up to the UP this summer) and getting the vstrom in order to do more off road camping.

Not my cup of tea but one of the guys in my office rides one. He has mentioned selling if you haven't got one picked out yet. He wants to upgrade to the bigger engine. He likes and the only two negatives he has mentioned is that a rider is exposed to more wind than a tourer and he's not real fall so he had trouble flat footing it at stops. I believe he installed a lowering kit of some kind

I did just as you are thinking. I sold my almost 100k mile Venture and bought a like new Tour Deluxe. After a few months riding the TD, I decided I wanted FI, ABS, and something lighter. Sold the TD and 15 minutes or so later picked up an 08 Vstrom650 ABS with about 12k miles and a few accessories. Paid $4k and have been very happy since last May. I ride almost daily. I am a big guy at 6'4" and 250 plus pounds. I get around 55mpg and that is commuting at 75 mph each way to work. Off road has been ok so far even with the street tires. My next set of tires will be a mix of on off road. I lust after a Super Tenere or BMW 1200 or 800 GS, or KTM 1290 but honestly can't justify the money when the little 650 does everything I need with very little maintenance. I compare it to the Venture. Great motor and very reliable.

It it is more windy of a ride, but it feels good in the summer and I have good winter riding gear.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have the best I can.

The 2009 DL650 VStrom was the World Bike of the Year. I have cousins that are brothers. One rides a 650 VStrom and the other rides the 1000 VStrom. Both guys absolutely love them. They are durable trouble free bikes. The cousin that owns the 650, he and his wife rode it two up for 2 weeks out west and did over 4000 miles, and the bike performed perfect. They also rode 2up for 10 days with us on a San Antonio trip. Hung right with us. He eventually bought a BMW R1200RT for their long touring, but he still rides the 650 VStrom back and forth to work and all of his local riding. The bike now has 150K miles on it.

I say buy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went to Michigan to pick up the V-strom and am back home. Back and forth through Chcago. (7 1/2 hours each way) Actually went quite well. Took the I-90 to 290 to 355 (3rd expressway out) to 80 and up into Michigan on 94 and then on to 31.

Stopped to visit our good buddy, Cowpuc on the way home. Always good to see him.

The bike is a 2009 DL650 V-strom with 7,400 miles on it with a bunch of farkles as you can see from the pic. I think this bike will see the most seat time next summer. Rick Butler is going to do the seat this winter.005 (2) (Medium).jpg006 (Medium).jpg005 (Medium).JPG

Phew,,,,, OUTSTANDING to hear from you Steve!!:thumbsup: Must be two great minds thinking alike cause you posted this as I was typing out my note asking folks to keep an eagle eye look out for you:big-grin-emoticon:

WOW ZZZZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW that bike is GORGEOUS:178:!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Congrats again on the find my friend!:thumbsup: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE YA ON IT NEXT SUMMER AFTER ADD EVEN MORE GOODIES TO IT:big-grin-emoticon:!!

Tip says hi, thanks for the well wish, sorry she missed ya and apologized for not being up to give ya good directions. I am just happy you made it home ok and happier then a 1st Gen crossing the desert that you stopped by and showed me your new scoot :thumbsup:

Beautiful brother,, just flat out gorgeous!!

Well, I went to Michigan to pick up the V-strom and am back home. Back and forth through Chcago. (7 1/2 hours each way) Actually went quite well. Took the I-90 to 290 to 355 (3rd expressway out) to 80 and up into Michigan on 94 and then on to 31.

Stopped to visit our good buddy, Cowpuc on the way home. Always good to see him.

The bike is a 2009 DL650 V-strom with 7,400 miles on it with a bunch of farkles as you can see from the pic. I think this bike will see the most seat time next summer. Rick Butler is going to do the seat this winter.[ATTACH=CONFIG]102257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102258[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102259[/ATTACH]

and a little more on EagleEye's super sharp new scoot!! Brother I LOVE those side cases and the protective engine/tank guards - nice stuff!!:thumbsup:

Yep, getting older and the Venture is becoming a handful in the parking lot. I love the bike but I know I am going to have to downsize sometime soon. I looked at a V strom years ago and liked it. Might be time to take another look.

I've been riding this thing since I got home and absolutely love it. 400 lbs lighter than my RSTD and feels every bit of that. And cornering? WOW, feels lighter and more ready to corner than my Bonneville.

Getting on it reminds me of getting on my 86 Venture, but a little less tall, which is a good thing. I got a pair of lowering links with it, and could always shove the tubes up into the tree too, if it feels too tall. But for now it's OK.

I got a Widder heated vest with it, with the heated collar and does that ever feel good on a cool day. Now if I could find a pair of Widder gloves. There are some online, but from what I see, they went out of business in 08.

I've been riding this thing since I got home and absolutely love it. 400 lbs lighter than my RSTD and feels every bit of that. And cornering? WOW, feels lighter and more ready to corner than my Bonneville.

Getting on it reminds me of getting on my 86 Venture, but a little less tall, which is a good thing. I got a pair of lowering links with it, and could always shove the tubes up into the tree too, if it feels too tall. But for now it's OK.

I got a Widder heated vest with it, with the heated collar and does that ever feel good on a cool day. Now if I could find a pair of Widder gloves. There are some online, but from what I see, they went out of business in 08.

I dont think many people that try a Vstrom dislike it. There are times I yearn for more power. But not often. Mine gets highway duty every day commuting and I still average 55mpg. And as you said, the weight is awesome compared to the Venture and RSTD.

• 8 months later...

Update on my new to me V-strom-

Just got back from a 8,800 mile, 6 week trip out west with the 650 vstrom and it was awesome. I did put a set of tires on in Oregon, but the ones that were on it would not have made another 4,500 miles. It did everything a big needs to do on a trip, and did it really good. That was a couple weeks ago, and just got back from the UP visiting Yooper, and picking blueberries-yum

I added quite a bit of electrical stuff last winter: heated grips, rostra CC, voltmeter, ambiant te1305.jpgmp, 12v outlets, driving lights,

986.jpg

Edited by eagleeye

I added quite a bit of electrical stuff last winter: heated grips, rostra CC, voltmeter, ambiant te[ATTACH=CONFIG]106766[/ATTACH]mp, 12v outlets, driving lights,

I would be real interested in hearing more about that ROSTRA cruise control you installed.

Also, I'm looking at a Versys 650 LT and a Vstrom 650 Adventure. Any thoughts comparing the two?

Du-Rron,

Here is a post I found on the stromtrooper forum on this:

I owned two 650 Versys 2011 and a 2013 prior to getting a 2014 650 V-Strom and last march moved up to a 2015 1000 V-Strom. The Versys were great fun and back then with limited availability of big bikes in Thailand the Versys really made sense. They were OK in the mountain twisty's but the engine lacks range through the gears so your very busy. Brakes felt hard and abs crude. Seat design pushes you forward into the tank and overall the bike is a bit cramped.

Stepping off the Versys and onto the 650 V-Strom was breath of fresh. Build quality is better, comfort is way up and the brake system is much more refined. The engine is an absolute joy and I found on the same mountain twisty's I was able to ride harder and faster with more confidence with much less fatigue.

The 1000 is very similar to the 650 but with more power, awesum brakes and a very good suspension set up. Downside compared to the 650 is fuel consumption.

Given the two choices you put forward it would be the DL1000 all the way. Not sure if you have considered the DL650 but a great bike and maybe you would get a better deal.