IGNORED

Hwy. 421, "The Snake".................

DragonRider

Yup I have been on that twice, one day while pulling my Bustec I met a semi coming the other direction, as I came around a blind hairpin, he had the whole road, even my part. Still not sure how it all went down, I think I closed my eyes and hoped for the best :think:, all I know is we came out the other side and he was in my rear views:2133::amen:

One of the few roads I have ridden where I drug my floorboards while pulling my trailer.

One of the roads I grew up riding , It is a good place to have an event, I hosted one a couple years ago about 45 miles up the road and we did the Back of the Dragon and the Python (US 58). The area has several roads like 421 or if you like the gentle sweeping curves you can go up to the Bluegrass trail and 52 over to Big Walker Lookout.

Thanks for sharing this.

Several of us locally are taking a trip through Tennessee in mid October on our way to North Carolina and we were just talking about searching out unique routes to take in both going and returning.

This looks really awesome and I'll be introducing it to the gang when we finalize the routes!

:thumbsup2:

Rode it several times. Along with The Rattler, The Diamondback, Back of the Dragon, Tail of the Dragon. Moonshiner 28, Cherahola Skyway. All day rides from my house. See why I retired here???

The Shady Valley Snake, Rt421, is a good ride, but by no means my favorite. As far as hosting an event near there... not sure about that. Bristol, Johnson City are just way too urban for my tastes and the areas east of Shady Valley Snake are too much in the boonies. Boone, NC one possible maybe.

In thinking of a good central location, somewhere around Newport, TN might be a good central location for adventures. From there, the following would be less than 300 mile day rides:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Great Smoky Mountains.

Maggie Valley (Wheels through time museum)

Shady Valley Snake, Rt421

The Diamondback US 226A

The Rattler US209

Tail of the Dragon

Cherokee, NC

of course all can be had from my place... but I only have one guest room. LOL

The Snake is a good ride, especially during the week. Weekends can get a little busy with the crotch rocket guys. The store at the center of Shady Valley is a good stop and they have very good bologna sandwiches along with hot dogs and hamburgers. The road that goes toward Damascus, VA will take you through Back Bone Rock tunnel, which is probably the shortest tunnel around. The ride in the other direction, which goes to Elizabethton is a good ride also and has got a bunch of curves, and some are pretty sharp. This is probably my favorite road in the area.

Shady Valley is a big canyon with the only drain in one direction and that is toward Damascus. It really is a beautiful place and at one time was the home to cranberry bogs. This area is actually in my back door as I am probably only about 20 miles from Shady Valley.

Randy

Sounds like a good place to hold a Meet & Eat some weekend. No far for me either...:biker:

Right now Linda are planning on going to the Outer Banks (Okracoke) next week and we are also doing some renovation. If we could get some things finished up before it gets too cold, we could have a M&E and a sleepover with about four bedrooms and a camper (Time Out). We will just have to what we may be able to throw together.

Randy

My wife and I are leaving the monday after the St Jude event to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end, 421 is on the list for us as well as at least a dozen other stretches. We have a couple weeks to ride and explore this year and as long as the weather is ok we will see how many of the suggested roads we can hit.