IGNORED

Polishing Stainless Surfaces ?

GolfVenture

To polish stainless to mirror finish you are going to need some stainless steel buffing compound and a buffing wheel or tip for your drill. This stuff can be found at hardware stores relatively inexpensive. stainless is hard so you need the compound and speed to cut the surface.

When I was in the AirForce I had the pleasure of being the 1st flight to cycle threw a newly renovated dorm. every doorway had a stainless trim and transition plate from room to room. We used 600-800-1000-1500-2000 grit wet sandpaper and finished it off Nevr-Dull. It was rough stainless when we started and a mirror when we finished.

I got some Mothers brand for chrome and aluminum. Does the black ever stop coming off the stainless steel..

The black probably isn't coming off because the surface is still to rough (porous). Even though a standard piece of stainless may look smooth it can too rough to polish as polish is nothing more than micro sanding compound. As I mentioned before wet sanding it to an almost mirror finish. The best way to do a flat piece is with a padded sanding block with the finest piece of paper the leaves a noticeable scratch pattern up and down. Move up 200 grits and sand left and right. When your happy with the finish was with soap and water and maybe some grease and wax remover. Then you can hit it with the Mothers or Nevr-Dull. wipe off the black with a clean lint free rag and keep moving to a clean part of the rag. I will post an aluminum/stainless/copper polishing guide for you folks with b4 and afters when I am dont with my engine covers.