IGNORED

Win 10

billmac

upgraded the home computer to windows 10. Sure is different been having some problems with the home computer so thought I'd try the free upgrade first. seems faster but Have a learning curve . :confused24:

Like you, I downloaded win10 because I was having freeze up problems with win7. I have a love/hate relationship with it so far.....some things I love but some things were better in 7. Does seem to run faster but my laptop runs hotter for some reason and I have had problems with my Norton Security system not working, have had to reinstall several times. Hope they get the bugs worked out soon. :amen:

I've upgraded 4 systems already. 2 at work, my home PC and wife's laptop ... All except wife's laptop were running Win7 Pro. Her's was 8.1

Just one issue so far...

At work we run our phone interface thru the web browser (it's VoIP and remotely hosted) ... it's not compatible with the new "Edge" browser. Simple fix, just run it thru IE.

I'll let a couple users at work run the two systems for a while to see if anything crops up.

Only one thing I've found so far that I'm not liking ... when you lock the screen, it seems as if it logs you right out coz to get back in you have to re-enter your user credentials. (this is at work and running in an Active Directory domain). In prev versions you only needed to key in your password.

Just some info for the privacy conscious I thought I'd share.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Good point.

When installing Win 10 you'll get to a screen that says...

“Hi there, welcome back”

Click Next

On the “Get going fast” screen, click Customize Settings at bottom left of the screen.

On the “Customize Settings” screen,

- turn off all four items

- click Next

- then turn off all except “Send error and diagnostic info to Microsoft”

- click Next

- click Next again.

After Win 10 is done installing, go to the link Gothic posted and do the suggestions there.

Yup, the reason why that laptop is running so hot is probably all of the information Microsoft is collecting about you. It's working overtime to do it's reporting.

It's not surprising that it runs faster, by the time Win 8 was released the code base was unbelievably bloated. Just trimming a little brought significant gains.

Yes - it's free. The following is from their web site and should answer your questions......

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; internet access fees may apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own.

Oh,,, and can I go from XP right to 10?

NO

You need Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to upgrade.

Also, your PC needs to meet these minimum specs

• RAM:
    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver