IGNORED

Blowing Headlight bulbs

My low beam headlights blew. So I replaced the bulb and now the new bulb blew. My radio was dead after the battery issue in Texas, but I replaced the backup fuse and now the radio works. I am looking for suggestions on where to go next. Obviously I need to go buy a new headlight, but you gotta keep blowing headlights a $25 a pop.

Starting to point to connection. Possibly ground bad. How does the back of the connector look. Seems I remember a post here a week or so back a fellow had a connector the wires looked heat damaged and was giving him some problems.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/PHOTO_20150710_205849.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/PHOTO_20150710_205838.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/PHOTO_20150710_205716.jpg

Here is the connector and the blown light bulb. Everything looks good. I have not put a new bulb in since I replaced the backup fuse. I am buying a much cheaper headlight tomorrow to see if that fuse fixed the problem.

Do you have the correct fuse on the headlight circuit? People have been known to put in a bigger fuse to stop a fuse blowing problem. :confused24::225:

Pics do not look like an over heated connector.

It is possible that you just bought a new bad bulb, I have done that a couple of times over the years where a new bulb lasts for a very short time.

Do not touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers. the oils in your skin will cause a hot spot and early bulb failure. Clean the bulb with a CLEAN cloth and a solvent prior to install.

Sounds like a bad bulb. The only way to burn out a bulb is with too much voltage. Yours seems ok. A poor connection will cause heat and eventually burn out the connector. Yours looks ok. Low voltage, poor ground or bad connections will cause the light to be dim or off. Not burn it out. If it happens again it might be time to put a voltmeter on the bike.

Mike

Being wired for a trailer should make no difference.

It is possible to have an intermittent bad RR. The only way to catch it is to have a voltmeter mounted on the bike that you can check while riding.

A mounted voltmeter is how I figured mine out.

Didnt you spend some time in a lot of water down in Texas sonshine? How is the rubber seal that covers the bulb when its installed Coff? That seal is suppose to protect the bulb from moisture which, if present, can also cause premature bulb failure.. Might wanna take a look inside of the fixture too to see if there is puddled water in there and clean that out real well if there is...

It's all dry in there. You should remember driving through the desert; there is no residual water anywhere. The bulb I installed yesterday is still working. That is a day longer than the last one. Time will tell, but I think I got something on the other bulb. This current one was handled with latex gloves.

Any dirt or fingerprints on a bulb will take them out pretty quick. That is why I said to clean it with alcohol just to be sure that it was not touched during manufacture or packaging. I would not even touch it with latex gloves, some gloves may have have talcum power or mold release agent on them that could get on the bulb.

I clean mine with a paper towel that was not just on the outside of the roll.

I have some of those alcohol pads to clean like before you get a shot. I have used them or you can just use a piece of paper towel with alcohol and install. Its a bugger thought to get your mitts in there.