IGNORED

ARRGH I need a backrest !

Sky Pilot

Thanks for your help. You have answered a couple of questions of mine so far and you have been a GREAT help. I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on Old Gold Wings, but this is my first RSV. For the most part I am happy with it, but, like any bike, the more you ride it the more things that weren't obvious at first, become very obvious. I needed a back rest and will call and order the one from Utopia tomorrow. Price is great and installation looks like a snap.

Thanks again, Freebird

Sky Pilot

Thanks for your help. You have answered a couple of questions of mine so far and you have been a GREAT help. I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on Old Gold Wings, but this is my first RSV. For the most part I am happy with it, but, like any bike, the more you ride it the more things that weren't obvious at first, become very obvious. I needed a back rest and will call and order the one from Utopia tomorrow. Price is great and installation looks like a snap.

Thanks again, Freebird

Sky Pilot

I have had both and to be honest the Utopia is my preferred back rest for comfort and adjust ability, but can be a pain to install. Took me about 45 minutes.

The Diamond R is a quality product and installs in a flash and you couldn't ask for better support from them. It just pushed me too far forward. I had to put my feet on my highway pegs and push back to bend it to a more comfortable position. After that I wasn't able to adjust it for riding with and without thick jackets.

If you are looking to get one quick Diamond R is the way to go and unless you are a short person I would not recommend the Over Stuffed one. You have to look for ship dates at Utopia and that could be several weeks to a month.

I have had both and to be honest the Utopia is my preferred back rest for comfort and adjust ability, but can be a pain to install. Took me about 45 minutes.

I just installed a Utopia yesterday--the mounting bracket had to be forced on, a very tight fit. And then the bolt went on extra hard--and I twisted the head off. grrr! Now I have to drill it out and get another bolt.

It sure feels good on my back, though, and makes it much easier to back up.

Rip

Color 1, I got it at Hall's Motorsport in Mobile. The phone number is 251-666-7000. I ran a stretch cord on top of the apron where it pulled some of the apron down in between the seats to hold it in place. You sit on part of the apron.

tew47

I just installed a Utopia yesterday--the mounting bracket had to be forced on, a very tight fit. And then the bolt went on extra hard--and I twisted the head off. grrr! Now I have to drill it out and get another bolt.

It sure feels good on my back, though, and makes it much easier to back up.

Rip

There have been post about this before. Utopia doesn't fit well so you have to drill out the hole a little larger.

You are supposed to drill it out slightly. Be sure to protect the fender.

I think my Utopia matches the '07 pillow top seats very nicely in overall shape, proportion, not too overstuffed, not too wrinkled/gathered on the edges, looks like a stock feature, and very adjustable with no tools required for forward/back adjustment. Makes it easy to shift between jackets where one has a back protector and another one does not.

- Mike

Guest JGorom

The Diamond R is a quality product and installs in a flash and you couldn't ask for better support from them. It just pushed me too far forward. I had to put my feet on my highway pegs and push back to bend it to a more comfortable position. After that I wasn't able to adjust it for riding with and without thick jackets.

Just for others sake...how tall are you (weight is an option)...that might make a difference for some when deciding which backrest to buy.

Guest kozman01

Look for a company called "Firehousecustoms" on ebay. I am awaiting a backrest from him and it was 102.00 priority shipped. He has a ton of feedback form a ton of different bike model riders. I'll let you know when it gets here today/tomorrow.

Color 1, I got it at Hall's Motorsport in Mobile. The phone number is 251-666-7000. I ran a stretch cord on top of the apron where it pulled some of the apron down in between the seats to hold it in place. You sit on part of the apron.

tew47

Who is the manufacturer and what is it called? Thanks!

Look for a company called "Firehousecustoms" on ebay. I am awaiting a backrest from him and it was 102.00 priority shipped. He has a ton of feedback form a ton of different bike model riders. I'll let you know when it gets here today/tomorrow.

I HAD ONE OF THOSE IT'S A GOOD REST FOR THE MONEY. I USED IT FOR A WHILE THEN GOT A UTOPIA OFF E-BAY. I JUST SOLD THE FIREHOUSE ONE ON THIS SITE 2 WEEKS AGO....GOOD REST FOR THE MONEY!

I HAD ONE OF THOSE IT'S A GOOD REST FOR THE MONEY. I USED IT FOR A WHILE THEN GOT A UTOPIA OFF E-BAY. I JUST SOLD THE FIREHOUSE ONE ON THIS SITE 2 WEEKS AGO....GOOD REST FOR THE MONEY!

Do you know if you can adjust that Back rest. ?

Guest divey

I just installed one from Utopia for my 07. Very good customer service, instructions are clear and it went on in about 20 minutes. You do have to drill out 2 holes as per their instructions. Looks good (pillow look to match the stock seat), easily adjustable for most sizes I would think.

I got a Diamond R a few weeks ago, and have to agree with the above. Easy enough to install, feels good on the back, but it seems to push me well forward, even when adjusted as far back as it will go. I took the bolts out of the upright, and put the backrest iron BEHIND the bracket, instead of in front. That gained a very little. It's been cold and wet here, and I haven't been able to try it on the road at all yet this spring:(, starting to get grouchy. I'm not going to mess with it any further until I get a chance to ride, but may be looking at "adjusting" in some way to make it a better fit for me. Any of you make a modification that you'd care to share?? Simply bending it backward will result in it leaning away from you, because the bracket will stop the rest from standing upright. TIA, Larry