IGNORED

So... if I wanted to go to the Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive from Michigan

pbjman

What would be a good way to go without doing lots of 'ick'-spressway? (Wife don't like expressway on bike.... it's scary for her when the big trucks are close)

I don't want it to be more than two days getting there. Anybody done this from MI? How about a route from Oberlin area for any of you who may have gone there from Maintenance Day?

PB, as you know - I am a Michigander too :big-grin-emoticon: I spent a fair amount of time searching for old coal mines (came home with the coolest old Coal pic axe strapped to the side of my bike and the coolest coal miners cap) down yonder and worked my way up the Blue Ridge afterwords and, like your wife - am not a real ick-spressway lover (LOVE her choice of verbage) so maybe I can help.

250 heads southeast not to far from Don's in Oberlin (Tip and I came home from the International last year on the route too - it was still awesome!!), as I recall it is just west of Dons. Jump on the 250, keep CTFW till ya get to 220, ride 220 down to Roanoke, grab the Parkway just outside of Roanoke and head toward Cherokee.

By the way, I know there is soooo much to see and do down there but, memorize this,, Red River Gorge,,, this Red River Gorge,, one more time,, Red River Gorge.. If you have the time and wanna spend some time away the hulabullou of Severville, The Dragon and the Great Smoky Mt NP on your way home,, check out the Red River Gorge area!!

PS - always read the fine print:

This completes Puc's fulfillment of his side of this contract.. Consideration for fulfillment of PB's portion of this contract shall be fullfilled by PB taking and sharing LOTS of:photographing:'s of the journey he and his wife embark on. This contract shall not be void or altered, even if PB and his wife so choose to ride a different route or even in a different area of the country.. :mustache:

Notary Public:

Puc's Ink

Great State of Michigan Seal of approval: :moped:

HAVE FUN,RIDE SAFE, LIVE FREE!

If all else fails.......use your GPS and turn off TOLLS and HIGHWAYS. It usually yields some pretty good rides. (Emphasis on PRETTY.....and GOOD!)

We did it last summer riding from Niagara down to Virginia. We had to relent and jump on the interstate a couple of times, simply because we were having way too much on the "smaller" roads. Got so many twists and turns in we actually decided AGAINST busting our butts to get to the Dragon simply on the basis that it "couldn't get any better than THIS!"

Enjoy.

I can't help you get to the BRP & Skyline drive but can tell you, your gona love them.

And I'm stealing "ick-spressway" from you LOL. That describes how I feel about them perfectly.

Well I cannot take credit for that... Picked it up from reading cowpuc's posts

Thanks guys The suggested routes, extra gas and GPS settings are all helpful ideas!

You don't need to carry extra gas, just make sure that you have a filled tank when you take off into the mountains, and don't pass up very many opportunities to refill.

Can't help you with the route from Mich to the Smokies, but once you get there you will find an almost endless supply of great roads to ride, south and east of the Gatlinburg area.

Other than the obvious ones already mentioned, a must is to take Fighting Creek Gap Rd/Little River Gorge Rd up to Cades Cove. When riding the Dragon, the ride along the river (hwy 28) to Fontana Dam and Lake is nice detour. You can ride for days in those mountains.

Ya know, when we first got our bike 8 years ago, my wife used to be a little freaky about riding on the ick-spressway, as y'all call it. Lol. But, I read an article in one of the bike magazines that produced some pretty impressive stats showing that the interstate highway is considerably more safe for motorcyclist than side roads and two lane highways. It made a case that even though the speeds are usually (not always) slower on secondary roads and highways, there are a ton more obstacles and variables to deal with. Things like: side roads entering the highway, intersections while going through towns, and two way traffic to deal with. And only the yellow line (18 inches) between you and a passing car going the opposite direction. It even took into the fact that secondary highways have many curves that gives you a chance of making a miscalculation and missing the apex and having an accident. Secondary highways having more wildlife on them, etc...

An interstate highway can be a tad daunting for some folks because the speeds are high, and yes, every now and again you pass one of those loud tractor trailer rigs, but, besides not having to deal with the above mentioned issues, the main thing that makes an interstate highway safe is, everybody is going the same direction.

Way back then, I showed my wife that article and she understood it. Now, when we're running down the super slab to save time, she's very compfortable, and is usually reading a book, texting, or occasionally snoozing.

Just 2 cents about our experience.

It made a case that even though the speeds are usually (not always) slower on secondary roads and highways, there are a ton more obstacles and variables to deal with. Things like: side roads entering the highway, intersections while going through towns, and two way traffic to deal with. And only the yellow line (18 inches) between you and a passing car going the opposite direction. It even took into the fact that secondary highways have many curves that gives you a chance of making a miscalculation and missing the apex and having an accident. Secondary highways having more wildlife on them, etc...

Agreed!

As with most things in life......there's always the yin.....and the yang!

We try to mix it up a little so we don't become a yinyang!! :-)

Ya know, when we first got our bike 8 years ago, my wife used to be a little freaky about riding on the ick-spressway, as y'all call it. Lol. But, I read an article in one of the bike magazines that produced some pretty impressive stats showing that the interstate highway is considerably more safe for motorcyclist than side roads and two lane highways. It made a case that even though the speeds are usually (not always) slower on secondary roads and highways, there are a ton more obstacles and variables to deal with. Things like: side roads entering the highway, intersections while going through towns, and two way traffic to deal with. And only the yellow line (18 inches) between you and a passing car going the opposite direction. It even took into the fact that secondary highways have many curves that gives you a chance of making a miscalculation and missing the apex and having an accident. Secondary highways having more wildlife on them, etc...

An interstate highway can be a tad daunting for some folks because the speeds are high, and yes, every now and again you pass one of those loud tractor trailer rigs, but, besides not having to deal with the above mentioned issues, the main thing that makes an interstate highway safe is, everybody is going the same direction.

Way back then, I showed my wife that article and she understood it. Now, when we're running down the super slab to save time, she's very compfortable, and is usually reading a book, texting, or occasionally snoozing.

I agree with all of the above however, I still don't like rideing or driveing on them. I'm not affraid of them. I just got sick of them when I was an over the road trucker. After a while they all look the same. I'll ride them but only when I'm in a hurry.

I'll agree for the most part, but I will add that the Interstate is the LAST place I want to be when weather conditions are poor.

People seem to think that although they can't see the hood ornament on their own car, that they should still be able speed along as if the visibility were unlimited.

And don't get me started on, truckers in particular, rear ending cages, motorcycles and other semis because they had not paid attention (or were asleep at the wheel) to the construction slow down or stoppage.

The entire premise for "controlled access" highways was to eliminate the possibility of collisions at intersections. Fine and dandy, I say, but the "drone-like" attitude of the typical controlled access highway driver is one of "well, now I can relax and set the cruise and ignore what's going on around me".

My most serious motorcycle accident was on a controlled access highway, where I was virtually run over by an inattentive four wheeler.

I'll take my chances on the country roads any day, provided my lights are bright and my horn is loud. And I am not bashful about honking at cars sitting at a side road as I approach or flashing my lights at them or weaving around in my lane to get their attention. If all goes according to plan, these folks will never see me again and I could care little how they relate the "crazy biker" episode at the dinner table that night. At least they saw me. More than I can say about the impatient jerk who decided "Grandma" was too slow in the right lane and abruptly swerves into the left lane where I was tooling along, minding my own business.

Praire,

I get what you're saying. I'm not meaning that we live on the super slab all the time. I will use them when I need to. But, when we are on them, I feel pretty safe, even though I know nowhere on a bike is safe.

Hate that you had that bad accident. That would make anybody leary about the interstate if they have an incident like that. I have a customer I call on that was on his bike and got t-boned really bad in an intersection. It about killed him. He told me that after he took months to recover and finally got back on a bike again, he would totally freak out when he approached intersections. To the point where he found himself figuring out routes that had the least intersections. I guess anywhere you have a crash, it's gonna leave you leary of that particular venue. Whether its the super slab, secondary roads, or intersections.

I gotta 2nd 250 in Ohio. We go that way to visit my mother. Across 20 and pick up 250 at Norwalk. At Fitchville there is a nice roadside park, which is one block off 250 S. on 13. Nice view of the Vermillion River, and a 2 hole facility if you're desperate.

I'm not familiar with 250 South of 224, but it does cut across pretty much straight to Wheeling.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any good way to get to US 20. I think your best bet is to grit your teeth and take 75 down to 280 to 29.

Oh heck, made you a Google Map of what I think Puc was talking about - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Algonac,+MI+48001/Wheeling,+WV/Roanoke,+VA/@40.2888344,-78.8584248,7z/data=!4m45!4m44!1m15!1m1!1s0x882540275f21894d:0x5a42208696b2c7cb!2m2!1d-82.531018!2d42.6183675!3m4!1m2!1d-83.0043361!2d41.3178176!3s0x883bc94fe66bc251:0x6deae6867b71c4c5!3m4!1m2!1d-80.966443!2d40.234067!3s0x88367cddbdba5781:0xb57776e47d9102c!1m20!1m1!1s0x8835dac77b90c5e9:0xbb87ed67ecd6e599!2m2!1d-80.7209149!2d40.0639616!3m4!1m2!1d-80.538836!2d39.755542!3s0x8835f20771832259:0xeac74d00fe52b280!3m4!1m2!1d-80.0549202!2d39.1942913!3s0x884af502dacee3f3:0xab90f87ab7d6d71!3m4!1m2!1d-79.8652579!2d38.8842742!3s0x884ae2798e600e7d:0xfd471256ea0efd40!1m5!1m1!1s0x884d0c4d6aa966fd:0x249dbecbdbb0989b!2m2!1d-79.9414266!2d37.2709704!3e0

I have heard people mention how boring Ohio is for motorcycle touring and every time I do I ask the riders I am talking to if they have ever ridden eastern - south eastern Ohio = gorgeous!!

Many Michigan people get their Ohio perception from driving 75 to Florida. And I have to admit - that stretch of pavement from Lima to Dayton seems like the longest, straightest, flattest piece of road in the world. But if you draw a line from Dayton to Cleveland everything South and East of that gets quite interesting.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and discussion! Actually still flip-flopping between Michigan's U.P. and the southern trip. I have been playing with the Harley Davidson trip planner and have a few ideas in mind now. I made a route similar to Carl's on it. If we go south, probably going to take the 250 most of the way but then veer towards Front Royal Virginia and start on Skyline Drive, then do as much of the BRP as time allows. ( If we go north, probably via Muskegon then up the coast, tunnel of trees, etc, before crossing the Mackinac bridge and doing Taquanemon Falls, H-58, Munising, etc.)

Thoughts?

Praire,

he would totally freak out when he approached intersections. To the point where he found himself figuring out routes that had the least intersections. I guess anywhere you have a crash, it's gonna leave you leary of that particular venue.

According to all the stats, THAT'S the "venue" that kills us most often!

If you are going to spend the time and effort to ride the BRP, the southern most part is by far the most majestic. In my opinion, even though the section thru Virgina is nice, too much of it is just riding through a forest and even most of the overlooks have little view. The southern part, especially from Cherokee to Asheville is wonderful and is also the highest point on the parkway. Then, the next best area is from Asheville to Boone and this takes you past Mt Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi, and then over the Lynn Cove Viaduct. If you do this, make sure you stop at the visitor center there and look at the history of building it. This also takes you around Grandfather Mt.

As far as coming through Ohio, to come down through Portsmouth, down 23 will take you all the way to south west of Asheville. You could pick it up around Toledo and have a great ride south. Going to Freebird's MD a few years ago, we spent the night in Portsmouth and enjoyed it very much. Highway 23 is a nice ride and is fourlane in some spots and will occasionally be interstate, as from Kingsport, Tn to Asheville, Nc, but that is a nice ride also.

Even though riding curvy roads on a motorcycle is great on a trip, there can be too much of a good thing to make it enjoyable. I would suggest going to the south end of the BRP and then going north, allowing enough time to sidetrack off to see some of the local stuff. This way, if you still want to ride some curvy roads, make the trek back up through West Va.

If you did an overnight in Portsmouth, OH and then stopped in Piegon Forge, TN, I think it would be a comfortable trip. Also, if you are in Piegon Forge during the week days, starting on Sunday evening, the motel rates are very cheap. From Piegon Forge, you can go thru Cades Cove spend a little time in Gatlinburg and then 441 across the mountain into Cherokee, NC. There is also some nice cabins on the river in Telico Plains where you start up the Cherahola Parkway and then you can do the Dragon.

Not to be a downer, but with soooo many great roads in this area, the Dragon is more hype than anything, not to say it is not good, but there is just so many great roads. One other thing, the Skyline Drive is nice, but it is 35mph and almost gets tiring with the traffic. To me, the BRP seems to have a lot less traffic and a lot more to see. I think that riding the BRP from south to north and then getting off at Roanoke would be the best.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and discussion! Actually still flip-flopping between Michigan's U.P. and the southern trip. I have been playing with the Harley Davidson trip planner and have a few ideas in mind now. I made a route similar to Carl's on it. If we go south, probably going to take the 250 most of the way but then veer towards Front Royal Virginia and start on Skyline Drive, then do as much of the BRP as time allows. ( If we go north, probably via Muskegon then up the coast, tunnel of trees, etc, before crossing the Mackinac bridge and doing Taquanemon Falls, H-58, Munising, etc.)

Thoughts?

BINGO PB!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Now we're talking!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Indeed,, I have some thoughts on that - DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancefool::dancefool:

I know the PERFECT camping spot right at the beginning of your journey - located right at the start of the prettiest, mostest awesome riding on the West side.. Comes with a tour guide, free lunch, hot shower and everything!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Concerning the U.P. idea, TOTALLY AWESOME!! :thumbsup2: Toss in a tour of Drummond Island while your up there - its beautiful and the ferry ride over is dirt cheap!!

The ONLY negative thing I can say about our U.P. concerns its bug content.. If you arent careful and pick the right time to tour - the skeeters and no-see-ums will eat ya alive.. Actually, the no-see-ums are far worse then the skeeters IMHO cause they go thru tent screen like its not even there and them nasty little monsters bite like crazy!!

You gonna be tenting? If so, might not be a bad idea to put the word out (we got folks around here who live up there) and get a feel for the bug hatch before ya head that way..

Another point just crossed my mind, when we travel up there we do the same ol routine as always - rough it in the woods so to speak.. Maybe actual campground camping (state parks, KOA ect) would be doable even in bug season - never tried that (just once in The Dalles Oregon) but that would probably work,, maybe,,, not sure..

Soooo,, are you on your way over to our house yet???:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Drag a couple of those east siders over here with ya and we can have a Meet n Greet, cook hot dogs and then all follow ya a ways!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

If you are going to spend the time and effort to ride the BRP, the southern most part is by far the most majestic...... I think that riding the BRP from south to north and then getting off at Roanoke would be the best.

Randy

Wow, Randy! Just the kind of info I was going to ask for next! I had remembered reading somewhere that one end was better than the other (mountains vs forest) and will adjust my potential plans accordingly. Thank you.

BINGO PB!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Now we're talking!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

.....Soooo,, are you on your way over to our house yet???:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Drag a couple of those east siders over here with ya and we can have a Meet n Greet, cook hot dogs and then all follow ya a ways!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

I wouldn't dream of going that way without giving you a heads-up! I will be finishing this seemingly never-ending job one day next week, (maybe Wednesday) then it's :biker: time!