IGNORED

HATE AVONS (see photo)

I used to ride Avons, on various bikes. I did notice that once worn down, the last bit wears quick. Seems like the last bit of rubber before the nylon had a lighter gray than the tread rubber, as noted above.

I normally got about 15K miles on a rear Avon. I did have one Venom front replaced by the dealer for a micro hole at the bead.

I get over 20K on MCII rear. Just got 26K on my E3 front, had plenty of tread but was going on a 2500 mile road trip.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a front braker are you? For those that don't use their front brake much, I suspect that the rear tire would wear much quicker, especially when it is getting thin.

Randy

I use the front break more than the rear .....unless it's a evade stop then BOTH...or if gravel is present.....2 rotors vs 1 ..... also rear breaks wear out more faster it tends to drag thus quicker wear...

The "VW" car tire may be:

Nexen SB802 Tire 165/80R15

I ordered one from Walmart a few months ago for $56 but changed my mind and stayed MC tire.

A friend has one on his 2011 RSV, loves it.

I don't know the brand he just said he got it for a vw and the guy never came back to get it... it's a 165/85 15

Thanks for everything so far Donny.

Could I ask a favor of you ? Can you get a measurement from the tire to the inside lower lip of the fender. The reason I ask is, I have a Hitch-Doc vertical hitch and want to be sure that a 165/80R15 will fit without hitting the hitch.

It was told to me once that 75% of tread wear is in the first 25% of tread dept, which then would mean that only 25% of wear is in what we would view as lots of tread there yet. Hence the wear bars, they are there to tell us to get these things changed out NOW!!

I am much like most people I suppose and want to use all there is, and that was maybe ok years ago. But today it seems that the tire should be considered bald when it hits the wear bars. I suppose by adding the wear bars the tread can be cut a little deeper so that when the tire would have been considered bald, there is actualy some safety tread left.

Make sense?

Thanks for everything so far Donny.

Could I ask a favor of you ? Can you get a measurement from the tire to the inside lower lip of the fender. The reason I ask is, I have a Hitch-Doc vertical hitch and want to be sure that a 165/80R15 will fit without hitting the hitch.

I have a hitch on mine,,,, I have about 1.25' between tire and hitch bar......bout the same as the MC tire....

I agree with the wear bars = gone statement. I,m OCD about tire psi's and tire wear. Going down because I,m trying to push a few more miles out of a worn out tire just to save some bucks, well, I,m not going to be guilty of that. I could deal with myself going down, but if I ever did it with my wife on back because I was riding a tire that should've been changed, I wouldn't forgive myself.

Wear bars= gone.

I have yet to have a tire down to the wear bars. I change out tires at 50% wear. Even on my truck that starts with 3/4" of tread, they get changed out at 3/8 tread. I'm taking off tires that have more tread than a new car tire has. My takeoffs usually end up on some other vehicle.

I do the same on the bike, 50% tread depth and they are gone. Whats interesting is that I do not get all that much less mileage out of them than the folks that take them all they way down.