IGNORED

Hi guys ...noob here,,need help, thanks

Well i just joined your site and i'm looking for advice ...of course,well i have an 83 xvz12tk venture.

this is a new bike for me, and so i changed all the fluids on the bike except brake fluid and clutch fluid..well after the oil change i found i could not get it to shift properly, so i started by adjusting the foot shifter and managed to get 1'st gear neutral 2'nd and 3rd gear, but i can't find or get it to go into 4th and 5th gear...any ideas would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanks guys...

Will

PS. i'm also a 35 year Harley rider and am totally mechanically

inclined....LOL

Edited by Wilzhere

The clutch fluid which is DOT 3 brake fluid can and will absorb water. The water changes the properties of the fluid and renders it slightly compressible. This reduces the the ability to fully disengage the clutch. the water will aso cause pitting of the slave cylinder walls allowing leakage and more air getting into the system.

What kind of oil did you use. Automotive oil will cause a lot of clutch problems. You must use an oil that specifically states it is for use with a wet clutch.

With the limited info available I'm just tossing out the most often seen issues as places to start. Once the common stuff is ruled out then we can go looking for the more uncommon possibilities.

Most likely you have to old style shift segment and a pin has fallen out. This link explains the problems and parts to order

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?85464-Shift-Cam-Segment-upgrade&highlight=shift+segment

Also be sure you get the clutch basket back in properly when done, here is the issue I had putting the washer in the wrong spot

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?48414-Now-stuck-on-clutch

Typically, when a yammy won't shift into a gear its the shift drum sector.

Crappy littel bent sheet metal design holding the pins in.

good news is ti can be fixed by beding the sheet metal "tabs" back in place.

Until they bend out again that is....

Edited by Great White

Will, a lot of us here use Shell Roletta 15w-40 diesel oil in the bikes. I been using it in my 89 VR for over 8 years now. You can buy it in the gallon jugs at most places. What you have to watch out for is the automotive oil with the additives to reduce friction as that will play havoc with the wet clutches.

Not sure why your having shifting issues but I am sure the folks here will be able to assist you with that.

Rick F.

Typically, when a yammy won't shift into a gear its the shift drum sector.

Crappy littel bent sheet metal design holding the pins in.

good news is ti can be fixed by beding the sheet metal "tabs" back in place.

Until the bend out again that is....

any pics on here showing the devil, and to be quite honest i dont even know what side of the bike the clutch drum is on to attack it,the bike ran and shifted like a dream before oil change and fork rebuild, yesterday.... 35 years on the same harley..LOL yes its a japanese harley LOL

Will, go to this page and click on the link and you can download the service manual for your Venture and that should help you with understanding how things are layed out on the bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?3384-First-Gen-Service-Manuals

It is in a PDF format so you can print out the pages you need to assist you in repairing your ride.

Rick F.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/815_zps1i0pypqy.jpg

That's it right there. Here's a closer look:

http://www.datazap.net/sites/TampaSale/Add-on%20Parts/Motors%208.20.13/P1600563.JPG

I'm updating mine to a later model version that does not use the formed tabs. The newer sector is a machined partsmthat holds the pins in machined bores:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDEyODA=/z/3BwAAOSwBahVYJS-/$_57.JPG

That last pic is actually the transmission I bought for my 83. I'm dropping in a complete 2002 royl star venture transmssion and vmax final drive this winter.

That's the great thing about Yamaha. They never seem to throw anything away. Even though the venture engine "supposedly" stopped production in 93, it soldered on in the vmax and royal star line past 2010. Yamaha is a "parts bin" builder. They keep recycling thier already designed components in new models with a few tweaks. Just look at how long and how many times the XS series engines have been "recycled" and you'll see what I mean. Yammy never throws anything away (that r&d has already been paid for that is).

What this means for us is updated and improved OEM parts that can be swapped into our old warhorses to fix original faults/ weaknesses in the design.

:)

Edited by Great White

Well guys your the bomb......I want to thank all of you for your great help...I'm back up and running ...It was that one of the pins fell out, put back in and bent the tab back, now it's time to get me one of those updated thing a ma giggers. :)BEST 12 BUCKS I EVER SPENT.. Ohhhhh Yeah

Again THANKS TO ALL OF YA!!!!!!!:)attachment.php?attachmentid=83596&d=1397782841BABABOOM!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Wilzhere

• 4 weeks later...
Well guys your the bomb......I want to thank all of you for your great help...I'm back up and running ...It was that one of the pins fell out, put back in and bent the tab back, now it's time to get me one of those updated thing a ma giggers. :)BEST 12 BUCKS I EVER SPENT.. Ohhhhh Yeah

Again THANKS TO ALL OF YA!!!!!!!:)attachment.php?attachmentid=83596&d=1397782841BABABOOM!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone point me where to find one of these updated side plates? or perhaps what year they upgraded it. all i can find is the original type.

Have a great 4th of July Folks and ride safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again...

Wil