IGNORED

Changed reflectors to LED

Helo gang... :)

I know by looking at the threads that some of you have already done this "mod" to your bikes...

Today I have successfully installed LED reflectors in the back in running/turn signal configuration.

Here are some pics and a short write up of what/how I've done it.

1. Purchased the following from eBay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261740379326 - I purchased set of red and set of amber as I am planning to change front as well.

These units come with 3 wires to allow different hookup options... I've decided to go with running / turn signals.

A quick note for those of you who would like to use the same LEDs... the running light is powered by the blue wire, and the blinker by the red wire... I found it a bit confusing as usually black and red would be set as normal operation and whatever other colour wire would provide some extra feature. At least that was the case when I was adding some run/stop/turn LED strips to my previous bike.

Anyway...

Bike with original reflectors mounted on the bag guards.

2015-05-01.jpg

2. Removed the bag guards, marked location and drilled the hole to run cables

IMG_20150509_112945.jpg IMG_20150509_113008.jpg

3. Removed the OLD reflectors from the base and used some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to mount the new LED reflectors (sorry, did not take picture of that)

4. Soldered some extra wires and used some shrink tubes to keep the wires nice and clean

IMG_20150509_113112.jpg

5. Used some thicker wire to fish the LED wires through the guards

IMG_20150509_113647.jpg IMG_20150509_114427.jpg

6. Quick test before mounting back on the bike

IMG_20150509_115427.jpg

7. Run the cable from both sides up under the passenger seat to the battery box. I've spliced the wires with those splicers that allow you to have a connector on a side. I have also wired the ground wires from both sides together and also the running lights wires from both sides together to keep the number of slicing to a minimum.

IMG_20150509_154418.jpg IMG_20150509_154404.jpg IMG_20150509_154725.jpg

8. Tested with all the connections

IMG_20150509_154433.jpg

9. And finally...

IMG_20150509_165029.jpg

That's all folks... for now :)

Next weekend project will be to add the amber ones to the front.

:guitarist 2:\m/ Horns Up \m/ my friends. :guitarist 2:

Have a great day.

Thanks Jeff,

Would you have any link or a picture or a part number of that adapter???

I did this mod awhile back and used the adapter it is listed in the classifieds. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=4&title=aux-lighting-harness-for-2nd-gen-venture&cat=18

I liked the way you ran the wires in the bag rails, I was lazy and just used snakeskin and tied wrapped the wires to the rails.

I did this mod awhile back and used the adapter it is listed in the classifieds. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=4&title=aux-lighting-harness-for-2nd-gen-venture&cat=18

I liked the way you ran the wires in the bag rails, I was lazy and just used snakeskin and tied wrapped the wires to the rails.

Thanks Joe...

I will buy this harness and redo the wires... will be even nicer and cleaner :)

Chris,

If you are interested, I also make some back to back bullet connectors, those will come in very handy when you do the front ones.

The front signal wires have bullet connectors inside the fairing.

Those "T"-taps you used can wear right thru the wires they slice into, had that happen to me on a trailer wire set up, that is what motivated me to design the Aux Break out harnesses.

Send me an email I will send info on the bullets.

Nice job.

But you need the wire harness adapter from @M61AMECH to get all of those splices out of the factory harness.

Makes for a much neater more reliable job.

Thanks Jeff,

Would you have any link or a picture or a part number of that adapter???

When you see words that are blue and underlined in a post, that is a link.:thumbsup:

PHEW Glad someone else told him about those scotch locks. They will eventually cut right threw you wires.

I did the same thing a few years back. For me the hard part was I had to build resistor/diode set up as the lights I had didnt have the 3 wire deal.

Side-light-on-close-web.jpgfronts-on-web.jpgThe fronts I just used a piece of flat alum I had to mount the lights to.

Steve posted:

The front signal wires have bullet connectors inside the fairing.>

Even better, Steve. I just sent my order in....will you please makes something up similar for me?

Thanks!

david

David,

I got your order I wil work something up for you this evening and send you a quote.

Steve K