IGNORED

Luggage Rack

Read all the older posts about adding a luggage rack to a 2nd gen. YIKES! Drilling holes in a perfectly beautiful Tour Pak??!!

Looks like I would have to drill the holes, provide the sealing and back plate to strengthen, etc..

The only question is the two stores mentioned in the previous posts no longer carry the part I guess....no hits.

Only choice seems to be direct from Yamaha at a premium price.

Anyone have any recent experiences with purchasing a Yamaha luggage rack for a 2nd gen?

Thanks,

david

David,

Just offering a little "lessons learned" help here to layout, drill and install the rack.

Put bike on center stand

Place a strip or two of painters tape on your trunk under the four legs of the luggage rack.

Carefully center the rack on the trunk setting it down on the strips of painters tape so as not to scratch the trunk/ paint.

Once you think you have it where you want it, walk back behind the bike (about 15 feet) and look at the "imaginary" trunk center line and rack center line and ensure they match in line.

You can also carefully measure the distance from the back of the passenger back rest to the front leg of the rack (both left & right sides) to ensure the rack is not skewed.

Take a pencil and lightly draw a circle around each of the four legs marking the painters tape.

Remove rack

Now draw a cross thru center of circle matching 12-o-clock to 6 o-clock and 9 o-clock to 3 o-clock. You now have the center of the hole laid out as to where you need to drill.

Drilling plastic lid is not hard at all. SLOW SPEED is highly recommended. Let the bit do the drilling and do NOT push hard on the drill. Slowly let the drill bit remove the material and slowly break through the bottom side of the lid to avoid gouges and chips to break out around bottom edge of hole.

Leave the painters tape on while you drill.

Leave the painters tape on while installing rack (loosely)

Next, you may want to get a partner to help you hold the rack from sliding, but open the trunk lid to get your hand inside to install hardware in proper configuration / order thru lid into legs of rack. NOTE: DO NOT TIGHTEN (yet)..just loose install all four screws.

Now you can remove the painters tape for the rack can not move around and scratch the trunk.

Now tighten all four mounting screws.

Enjoy..

Hope this helps

Eck

I bought and installed the OEM from Yamaha. I truly believe in OEM products. They cost more, but were made for exclusively. They're not a one size fits all thing. The kit is complete with everything you need. Follow the instructions, take your time, measure more than once. Place it where you made your marks, step back and view it from all angles. I was a bit trepidatious too. It all worked out fine. I did have to enlarge one hole ever so slightly.

Read all the older posts about adding a luggage rack to a 2nd gen. YIKES! Drilling holes in a perfectly beautiful Tour Pak??!!

Looks like I would have to drill the holes, provide the sealing and back plate to strengthen, etc..

The only question is the two stores mentioned in the previous posts no longer carry the part I guess....no hits.

Only choice seems to be direct from Yamaha at a premium price.

Anyone have any recent experiences with purchasing a Yamaha luggage rack for a 2nd gen?

Thanks,

david

Two things popped into my little head when I read the above:

1. Is he getting a RSV? Or has he already?

2. I gave a GL1500 trunk rack to @Semi-retired, and he says it fit his Second Gen splendidly. And I suspect that if Michael can install a trunk rack, you can to.

3. OK, three things. I installed a trunk rack on my pristine 1990, and after much trepidation, I drilled away. No sweat. Just follow @Eck advice. Remember! If it LOOKS right, it IS right.

Two things popped into my little head when I read the above:

1. Is he getting a RSV? Or has he already?

2. I gave a GL1500 trunk rack to @Semi-retired, and he says it fit his Second Gen splendidly. And I suspect that if Michael can install a trunk rack, you can to.

3. OK, three things. I installed a trunk rack on my pristine 1990, and after much trepidation, I drilled away. No sweat. Just follow @Eck advice. Remember! If it LOOKS right, it IS right.

1: Did....silver color 2005

2: Good to know. Is it as wide as the Yamaha truck rack?

3: Thanks!

The Goldwing racks are pretty much useless because of the way they are shaped with that high rise in the center. Makes it impossible to lay anything flat on the rack. Excellent advice above on installation.

Perhaps that is true for certain racks intended for the GL, but the ShowChrome rack that I had was for a 1988-2000 GL1500, and it fit and worked nicely on @Semi-retired Second Gen.

P6192269 (Large).jpgGL1500 trunk rack.jpg

Perhaps that is true for certain racks intended for the GL, but the ShowChrome rack that I had was for a 1988-2000 GL1500, and it fit and worked nicely on @Semi-retired Second Gen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]98851[/ATTACH]

Agreed, Kev.

I picked up some stainless washers at a nut and bolt supply house and actually had 8 rubber washers custom cut (for 25 cents each if you can believe it) at another local shop.

Fit like a dream......looks amazing........solid as a rock. (I can practically lift the back end off the ground with the rack! OK....that's stretching it a BIT, but not by much! :-)

From the "For what it's worth department" I installed a HD rack on my RSV without any issues. It does sit at a slight angle (in line with the trunk profile) but is perfectly suited for the intended purpose and having found an NOS one purchased at a greatly reduced price.

Agreed, Kev.

I picked up some stainless washers at a nut and bolt supply house and actually had 8 rubber washers custom cut (for 25 cents each if you can believe it) at another local shop.

Fit like a dream......looks amazing........solid as a rock. (I can practically lift the back end off the ground with the rack! OK....that's stretching it a BIT, but not by much! :-)

Maybe you could post a pic of your trunk rack installed?

So vidAZ, was it you who won that one on ebay for $150?

Anybody know of a better price for new ones than amazon ($175.33 shipped)?

How about the Mutazu ones for $117 that look just like the Yamaha ones (minus the emblem and minus about $60)? If I can't find a deal on a used yam by June then I might try this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mutazu-Aftermarket-Royal-Star-Venture-Top-rack-for-Yamaha-Trunk-/231467427473?hash=item35e488a691&vxp=mtr

No..I put in a bid near the end but then got caught up cleaning up the cassette deck of my RSV. Missed the end!

The only issue I have with aftermarket...if it's Chinese, the chrome is probably crap and the unit would may rust around the welds. I'm real hesitant to do that.

Going to keep eyes open for another one...

david

I installed mine 2 years ago, and thankfully it went ok. I was so concerned about drilling into my trunk, that I must have measured 10 times, and as a final check, I had my wife look at it to see if it looks evenly spaced and straight to her. She is somewhat of a perfectionist, and if there was any noticeable flaw, she would have spotted it. I have seen some other brands on bikes, and I must say, the Yamaha ones look the best, In my humble opinion.

Dale

One major issue I see...is the Tour Pack on the 2nd gen is flimsy compared to the 1st Gen. Much thinner material with cheaper hinges too. Maybe I'll use the 1st Gen for camping...and leave the 2nd Gen for traveling...

So many things were changed, and not for the good, when Yamaha dropped the 1st gen and moved on. What were they thinking???

Sigh...

What did you do about the luggage rack? They don't come up on ebay very often lately. (Wish I coulda got the one for $129 a few weeks ago!)

I just ordered one from Boats.net, $169.48 with free shipping. For what it is, that is more than I wanted to spend on it , but then again everything bike related is that way, right? That's the best I've been able to find on a genuine Yamaha rack.