IGNORED

ODYSSEY GROUP BUY Spring'08

Condor

I thought that now would be a good time to start another group buy, and called Odyssey to check on pricing, I just got off the phone with them and everythings a go, however they are out of stock on both the PC545 and the PC680, but they expect to receive a new shipment the first week of May, so the timing's right.

We still need to get 10 members.... or more.

PC680, PC680MJ

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680_sm.jpg

For 1stGens, the Odyssey is PC680. Your price each to your doorstep will be $110.00. Be aware that this is the non-metal jacket battery. I discussed the application at length with Odyssey , and they reiterated what they had said in the past about not needing the heavier MJ version for our 1stGens, but if anyone would like one of the PC680MJ's the price will be $121.00 to your doorstep. Also take note that the batteries will be fresh, and haven't been sitting on a dealers shelf for an extended period of time.

PC545, PC545MJ

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545_sm.jpg

For 2ndGens the Odyssey is PC545. Your price each to your doorstep will be $104.00. If you'd like the PC545MJ (Metal Jacket) it will be $118.00

Payments are to be sent via Paypal to paypal@cast-aways.com

Batteries will be drop shipped directly from the supplier, except for those batteries going into Canada. They'll be bluk shipped to me and then shipped from here.

There will be a shipping surcharge for those batts shipped to Canada. I'll probably do the same thing as the MAC's which seemed to keep the cost down, and be agreeable with everyone.

The prices work out to be Dealer cost plus $20 bucks to cover shipping and paypal charges. The last time I charged $15, but I ended up loosing about 4 bucks per battery. So this time I'm covering my rear... Canadian shipments will need to be adjusted once I get one here to do a shipping estimate.

If you have any questions, or see something that's missing from the above please PM me.

Jack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condor,

What's the difference between the PC545 and the PC545MJ functionally? I guess I mean what's the reason to have the Metal Jacket one?

Nothing. The metal jacket was added for those big Vtwins with lots of vibration, as they were causing a few battery cases to seperate. Odyssey assumed that because our's were V4's they would fall into the same shaky catagory so they recomended the MJ for our bikes. When I explained that ours don't come close to producing the same motion as a VT they said the standard would be fine. The jacket is nothing more that just that... a jacket placed around the standard housing. If you pry the jacket off you'll find a standard battery.

Addition to vibs, the Harley also gets HOT down there around the battery compartment. The MJ (metal jacket) protects the battery case from the heat. Encases it to keep it from a heat swelling. The RSV doesn't need a MJ from what I was told.

Correct me it this is not another reason for the MJ.

MIKE aka Uturn

:7_6_3[1]:

we may need to get in on this......especially since we have a dead battery....:hurts:

I'll ask Dale...only prob is I dont know if we can wait til May when they restock.:confused07:

how soon could we get it if we went with the MJ, since I take it they are in stock??

we may need to get in on this......especially since we have a dead battery....:hurts:

I'll ask Dale...only prob is I dont know if we can wait til May when they restock.:confused07:

how soon could we get it if we went with the MJ, since I take it they are in stock??

They're out of both types Cindy. So ordering an MJ won't make any difference. You're pro'bly looking at somewhere around the 10th of May before you'll see one. Sorry..... Although... they said that the last time, and the batteries actually came in sooner.. As soon as we get as least 10 members paid for I'll submit the list for shipping. The sooner the better to get them in the works.

Money sent for one Jack...........did we need to add anything for paypals fees? Let me know and i will send a few more bucks.

Thanks for doing this !

No need this time Cindy....I hope!! :) Tell Dale to keep the charger plugged in....

Jack just saw the post I am interestsd if I'm not too late

Ron 06 Black Cherry

Nope, you're still good Ron. Go ahead and do the Paypal dance, and I'll put you in the notice box. We have 5 committed, and I'm shooting for 10 or more. The last time around we had 19..... Odyssey is getting to like us...... a lot.. :)

Hay Jack.

I don't need one right now, but would consider buying one to store. Will it last very long on the shelf?

Thanks, Ponch

Dave- I had a spare that sat for just about a year before I used it. Didn't even have to charge it before hooking it up. Shelf discharge on these things is just about non-existant. Stick a charger on one about every year and it's good to go anytime. You don't need to babysit it....

I just got my Battery checked today (load on it ).The fellow said it was like new.This is going to be my 4th summer so I wanted to be sure the Battery was good.The only extra

i have on the Bike is a Light Bar and a Stebel Horn which is wired direct and a GPS which I will Plug in to the 12V outlet.The only thing new for this year is the GPS.Do you folks think The original Battery will handle all this ? It's been good so far up to now .

Bucky Thompson

I just got my Battery checked today (load on it ).The fellow said it was like new.This is going to be my 4th summer so I wanted to be sure the Battery was good.The only extra

i have on the Bike is a Light Bar and a Stebel Horn which is wired direct and a GPS which I will Plug in to the 12V outlet.The only thing new for this year is the GPS.Do you folks think The original Battery will handle all this ? It's been good so far up to now .

Bucky Thompson

It should be fine Bucky. The life of a battery is dependant on the duty cycles that occur during it's lifetime. I duty cycle is how many times the battery can be discharged to a certain level and recharged. If a battery is never discharged, theoretically it should last forever. If you only discharge the battery for starting and never take more out of it than the stator produces for the electronic load, then it's going to last a long time. Without getting real scientific if you've only pulled 80amps out of an 80ah for 10 secs to start the bike, and then rode it long enough to recharge to max, theoretically the battery would last for 9,000 starts. However.... leave it in a particially discharged state, or pull more amps out of it then the stator can produce to run the electronic load, and the battery life will be shortened considerably. In your case I suspect your battery doesn't receive any load other then pulling starting duty, and you're riding it long enought between starts to fully charge, and it's going to last quite a while. One or two starts a day and you might get 7-8 years out of it. Let the bike sit and without charging for 3-4 months at a time, and then throw a charge at it, and 2-4 years is all that can be expected. Remember we're dealing with 26amp MC batteries, not 80ah's, and starters that pull some pretty good amperage. Geeze.... did I get carried away......

Hello, I'm new here and I need to buy a battery for my dad's 87 venture (first gen I believe). I'm trying to convince my dad to get the odyssey and not some cheap battery. I will find out from him tonight if he is fine with waiting till mid May. I'll let you know.