IGNORED

Las Vegas Garage

Condor

I've never spent so much money so quickly since the last time I went to Vegas. I contracted for a 24'x36' cement slab/patio. The crew arrived at 8:30a and by noon the job was leveled, compacted, formed, rebar'd, pored, and in the finishing stage.... Four man crew, and they had to dig up a 5" high side to level it. We were planning on doing it ourselves, but after watching a bit I realized having someone younger was the best move.... :backinmyday: Now I have a better place to store stuff.....2015-03-12 09.00.21 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 11.28.35 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 10.14.10 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 10.05.32 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 10.05.21 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 10.00.59 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 09.56.41 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 09.39.22 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 09.39.08 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 09.00.37 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 08.59.57 (Medium).jpg2015-03-12 14.43.12 (Medium).jpg

hmmmmm ... I admit I don't know much about this kind of thing but.... I think I'd have a lot more rebar as well as have it elevated off the gravel some.

The rebar is elevated. Once the cement is poured they lift it and it stays elevated somewhere in the middle. The rock in the mix keep it from falling. With a 5" depth that thing isn't going anywhere in your and my lifetime..... Frankly Charlotte, after that I really don't give a damn.... :) :backinmyday:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Wow I gotta admit that the slab pictured sure is thin and built differently than any I have poured. But then again you do not have winters or frost to heave it and I am an "overkill" type of guy. Both my garages I put up in the last three years exceeded the building code and city hall and my inspectors love the way I do things.

My slab? lol.. Honestly 7.5"with 3/8" double rebar and 6" square mesh. I had to have it inspected before pouring the concrete and the inspector said it was overkill. I made the floors so thick so I can drill and anchor automotive lifts without the fear of cracking the floating slab. No footings, just a slab poured with perimeter trenches cut out and Gran "A" compacted in the center. Local code calls for 4" thick no bar or mesh required but I have seen so many crack even when cut I did not want to take a chance so I spent for the extra material. I am happy I did it this way and poured the concrete with a contractor "friend" that I made and had one of his employees hand finish it. Condor is right, when the truck shows up it does not take long to pour, level, and float the concrete. The hand finish takes the longest.

Every mechanics dream! To build that extra garage!

In my area, thick footings are required, the top of the floor has to be 8" above ground, and anchors for the walls imbedded in the concrete are required to keep it from blowing away in a hurricane. This applies to anything as large as a 12'x12' or larger. Or you can use anchor straps for portable utility sheds.

IS this to house your collection of bikes and all of their "accessories"?:8::cool10:

Nope, just somewhere to park the trailers that are filled with things I'll need some day.... :big-grin-emoticon:

I just bought another 7x14 trailer to house the three 2ndGens, and then had a brain storm and moved everything in the 8x16 into 7x14, which gave me a lot more room to mess around.

I bought some carpet in an auction a couple of years ago and decided to use it. Here are some pics. No pic of the finished product but you get the idea....

2015-03-09 13.51.30 (Medium).jpg

2015-03-09 13.51.43 (Medium).jpg

2015-03-09 13.52.18 (Medium).jpg

2015-03-09 13.52.37 (Medium).jpg

2015-03-09 13.53.03 (Medium).jpg

2015-03-09 13.53.16 (Medium).jpg

Oh heck yea!! Looks GREAT Jack!:thumbsup:

I am with ya on the concrete pouring business - let them youngens do it! Sitting around installing carpeting in a trailer, sipping a Lemonade and dreaming about the next bike ride - THAT is more like it!!

I need a chiropracter just from the pics of those guys working!!

Very smart thinking, use the trailers as garages and not have to pay property taxes on the out buildings. I love it, very nice carpeted trailer. Maybe I will have to find one to store my bikes. I like how it was mentioned the carpet you used was bought a few years before. It reminded me of my last garage I built, I had the form lumber, insulation, doors, windows, roofing, rolls of aluminum for fascia, lighting, heaters, wiring and breaker box long before I decided to build it. All stuff I collected and the beauty was that after making use of it I no longer had to store it. Hey it even brought the build cost down drastically. Yup I am a recovering pack rat and I had or still have a problem. My newest addiction is bikes.