IGNORED

Cracks starting in intake manifolds

Greetings all.

Had my 2004 RSV serviced today.

Only 48,000kms on the clock so it doesn't do much work.

The mechanic said all was fine, but pointed out that the intake manifolds have developed hair-line cracks that will soon develop to go right through. He reckons they'll last two months until they need replacing.

Anybody had any similar experiences?

I'm off on a 1,500km three day ride in a month and I'm thinking of having them replaced prior to the ride.

If not I think I'll just take a roll of gaffer tape as a back-up.

I've had cracks in my intake boots for 80k+ miles. No worries. There is a steel liner between two coats of rubber. If you want to check, spray some carb cleaner on them when the bike is running. If the idle changes, then a crack is all the way through.

Don't expect it to be a problem.

RR

• 3 weeks later...
My cracks are leaking gas

I won't go there because it is too easy.......

However, you gotta have a mighty nice vacuum leak on the carb boots if they are also spewing gas out of them. Might try some silicone sealer/adhesive on them.

Sorry I haven't been back to thank y'all for the same replies.

So - thank you.

I head off tomorrow morning for a ride to the coast (350kms) to meet up with my sister and four brothers for our annual biker weekend get-together.

This is year 12 and I fear it may well be the last time that we do it as we are all slowly drifter further apart on this great continent.

I'll post some pics when I get back.