IGNORED

cruz issues???!!!

Hi everyone,

I went on a 150 mile ride here in Michigan yesterday. Temps in the high 30's. When I tried several times to activate my cruz, it would start to hold speed but then almost immediatly kick off and show the resume light!!?? I'm sure it has to be simple as it worked in January when I rode 300 miles after buying it in Georgia. Has any one else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Oh-almost forgot to mention, it is a 99 rsv.

Thanks in advance,

Big mike:think::confused24:

Mike,

I looked at your bike photos and didnt see this, but need to ask anyway...

Did you by chance add any "fringe" to the brake and clutch levers since you bought it?

I dont see any fringe on the levers in your photos but not sure if those are older photos.

If you did add leather fringe, the wind will drag (pull) on the brake lever fringe and by doing so will also pull the lever back sometimes just enough to trigger the brake switch cutting off your cruise control.

If you didnt add fringe, then I am not sure what it is.. :think:

I have read that the throttle cable may need adjusting to solve this.

Any idea how to know for sure if this is the problem?

I assume Buddy was saying to adjust the free play. IF so it is easy to do and and easy thing to check and see if this is the problem.

Brad

Make sure the levers are releasing all the way. I had them stick a bit and make the switch and cut out the cruse control. Also check that the rear brake is releasing or that it's not making the brake light switch when you hit a bump or something.

Mike,

I looked at your bike photos and didnt see this, but need to ask anyway...

Did you by chance add any "fringe" to the brake and clutch levers since you bought it?

I dont see any fringe on the levers in your photos but not sure if those are older photos.

If you did add leather fringe, the wind will drag (pull) on the brake lever fringe and by doing so will also pull the lever back sometimes just enough to trigger the brake switch cutting off your cruise control.

If you didnt add fringe, then I am not sure what it is.. :think:

Eck, I think you nailed it!!! I never even thought of that. I added the brake and clutch fringe Saturday and rode my ride Sunday. I also put on the long and heavy fringe and it was streaming around my elbows, so I have no doubt that this would cause my problem. GOOD CALL!!! Tomorrow it is supposed to be around the high 30's and sunny so maybe I'll pull out the scoot and take off the fringe and ride to work to see if this makes the difference. Thanks alot!!! I'll let ya know if that was the problem.:thumbsup2::dancefool:

Big Mike

You know, the cruise control deactivates above 80 or 85mph, you just need to slow down! :rotf:

In that case I guess I'll just have to live with it!!!:whistling:

Thank You everyone for your suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that Eck is right on this one. If for some reason after I remove the fringe I am still having this problem I will definitly be reviewing your posts. Thanks for all the help!!

Big Mike

I had the same problem and it was the fringe i added to the levers.Doesn't take much .Hope that does solve your problem.You will have to get the ones that attach on the end of the weights.:080402gudl_prv:

Well it was the fringe. I'm glad it was simple. I took off the fringe and don't think I'll add it back on for now, since I wasn't really sure it was the style I was going for anyhow. I had some fringe on a 93 1100 shadow and that looked good for that bike, but i'm still looking for the right look for my Venture. Anyhow thanks for all of the responses and suggestions, I truely appreciate it.

Big Mike:thumbsup2:

Mike,

Nice looking scoot, hang on a second I have to look in the garage to see if mine's still there :rotf:. That looks brand new !! now you have the fastest color. They say it should warm up by June, but it's still snowing tonight:confused24:. I bought a new set of Avons

but it to freakin cold to go out and sit on the cement in the garage.

You'll have to give me an update next time we meet.

Stay warm,

Gary

OK,

Not the same Big Mike from MI, My bad. Your bike looks great though.

I looked at your profile and discovered you didn't look the same. Where

in MI are you from ? and have you been to any of the meet & eat's ?

Hope to meet up with you this summer !!

:detective:

Gary

Mike,

Nice looking scoot, hang on a second I have to look in the garage to see if mine's still there :rotf:. That looks brand new !! now you have the fastest color. They say it should warm up by June, but it's still snowing tonight:confused24:. I bought a new set of Avons

but it to freakin cold to go out and sit on the cement in the garage.

You'll have to give me an update next time we meet.

Stay warm,

Gary

Thanks Gary I like it! Unfortunatly those pictures are from the previous owner and the bike isn't quite that nice looking. I just bought it in January and have yet to clean it up and polish it so I can get some of my own pictures. I'll update them when the weather gets better. The owner that I bought the bike from was new to motorcycling and didn't take very good care of it, so I am trying to fix some imperfections and bring it back up to the condition that it should be in. Very hard to do when all I want to do is ride. Anyway the 20th of april is the Birch Run, Mi. mtorcycle swap meet, so i'm sure i'll be game for that. We'll see how it goes but I will try t be there.

By the way I looked at your pics also, is your exhaust stock? Looks like it may be aftermarket. I'm looking to put some L...O...U...D deep throaty exhaust on mine but i'mn not sure if barrons is deep or cracky. What are yours?

I'm from Saginaw. I havn't been to the meet and eats as of yet, but hope to make it to some this summer. Unfortunatly I have a wedding to go to this weekend so I will not be at this one.

Well it was the fringe. I'm glad it was simple. I took off the fringe and don't think I'll add it back on for now, since I wasn't really sure it was the style I was going for anyhow. I had some fringe on a 93 1100 shadow and that looked good for that bike, but i'm still looking for the right look for my Venture. Anyhow thanks for all of the responses and suggestions, I truely appreciate it.

Big Mike:thumbsup2:

I am so not believing this thread. :confused24: I've struggled several times trying to get my cruise to set and just assumed it was something wrong with the control itself. I just bought the bike in December and it came with the leather wraps and fringe around the levers. Never imagined that would be the problem. I wasn't really sure how much I liked the fringe anyway, but I do like the leather wraps so I guess I'll just cut the fringe off.

Thanks a bunch guys, and I'll let you know in a day or so if that solves my problem as well.

I am so not believing this thread. :confused24: I've struggled several times trying to get my cruise to set and just assumed it was something wrong with the control itself. I just bought the bike in December and it came with the leather wraps and fringe around the levers. Never imagined that would be the problem. I wasn't really sure how much I liked the fringe anyway, but I do like the leather wraps so I guess I'll just cut the fringe off.

Thanks a bunch guys, and I'll let you know in a day or so if that solves my problem as well.

I hope all works as well as it did for me. Good luck Yamaman!!!

Mike,

I have Road King pipes on mine, much better sound and you should be able to get a pair for 20-40 bucks at the swap meet. You will need to make some brackets and get a pair of clamps. Lots of great reasonably priced upgrades available for these bikes. Do some digging on this site for the 2nd gen bikes.

Gary

Guest tx2sturgis

I think that last post about pipes got misplaced!!

:confused24:

Hey, those 'fringe' things are more properly called 'wrist poppers' by the REAL BIKERS!!

Dont yall know ANYTHING??

Geeze.

:cool10:

I think that last post about pipes got misplaced!!

:confused24:

Nope, I asked him earlier in the post what kind of pipes were on his scoot since we had both looked at each others pics.

Hey, those 'fringe' things are more properly called 'wrist poppers' by the REAL BIKERS!!

Dont yall know ANYTHING??

Geeze.

:cool10:

Real bikers probably used the shorter ones then, because the ones I had on my bike were elbow poppers!!!:whistling:

Big Mike:15_8_211[1]:

• 1 month later...
You know, the cruise control deactivates above 80 or 85mph, you just need to slow down! :rotf:

Mine doesn't deactivate at 80. I rode from El Paso to Odessa and the posted speed limit is 80 until about 20 miles out of Odessa and I had the cruise engaged most of the way at 80 and it did not deactivate. Must kick out at 85.

Guest kober
Mine doesn't deactivate at 80. I rode from El Paso to Odessa and the posted speed limit is 80 until about 20 miles out of Odessa and I had the cruise engaged most of the way at 80 and it did not deactivate. Must kick out at 85.

Yep, 85 it is. Frustrated me to no end on a midnite trip from El Paso to Tucson with nary a smokey in sight.

If ya'll were to put speedohealers on your bikes, you'd get another 7mph out of the cruise because your factory speedometer is around 8 percent off.

85mph @ 8% is 6.8 mph that your are loosing.

I was running a true 80, I have a Zumo 550 and set my cruise by what the Zumo said my speed was. I am thinking that was a pretty true number.

I think FLB_78's point was that, to get the 80mph on the Zumo, how fast was the bike speedo reading? It should have been reading close to 85. The cruise won't work at 85+. So, if the bike sees 85 the cruise would cut out regardless of what the Zumo would say.

The Speedo healer alters the speed in the bikes electronics and, therefore, allows the cruise to work up to a true 85mph (okay 84) instead of around 80mph. Only problem there is that, if you go down a hill the cruise would probably cut out because of the "slop" in the cruise controls reaction.