IGNORED

Recording music to thumb drive

Eck

Anyone know if there is a way to record the music from my digital TV to a thumb drive, where I can play it in my MP3 player on my Wing?

I'm looking for, or wondering if, there is a box/recorder of some sort that I could buy, that plugs into my digital TV's audio output jack, and then where I can insert a thumb drive into the same box/recorder.

Since I have no choice that I have to pay for these so called BONUS music channels that were added to my bill by the cable company, I would like to at least get some use of, or benefits for, having the music channels.

Any of you electronic gurus have some idea on how to go about this? :think::confused24:

There should be a USB HDD port on your TV. Plug the thumb drive in there.

Go into your TV menu and locate Allshare Play or Recorded TV

In there you can choose record tv and then select what you want to record.

I would recommend you use a portable HDD for this though as recordings can take a lot of space and fill up the thumb drive pretty quick.

NOTE: you might need a "Smart TV" for this...

There may be another way, but I have to go to analog audio, then bring that into my computer with a little box that plugs into a USB on computer, then do the conversion to MP3, then move the MP3 to my player.

But i do not have a digital anything in my AV system.

The only way I know how is to connect your headphone or speaker out from the TV and connect the other end to a computer mic input. I use sound record on my computer to save as a mp3 format. Hope this helps

That's too simple .. no wonder I didn't think of it LOL!

Eck.......you could plug a digital recorder into the audio output port of the TV and record from there. You would then have to edit to your playback device. Here is how I would do it.

i have a Tascam DS-05 hand held recorder that I use for judging. It uses a SD card for storage. I would bulk record the output of the TV to the SD card, then plug it into the computer and transfer to the flash drive. You can buy the recorder for less that $100 on line or shop EBay for someone who is selling for cheap. If you go looking, stay away from the Xoom recorders because they are really clumsy to work with. I am sure there are others, just be sure they have removable storage.

I did did some engineering work for a very large radio conglomerate, and as a "side benefit" I have a 500Gig hard drive full of libraries. I just go to it and create a few weeks worth of music to listen to.

best to you in your quest!

Thanks Dave(and Barbie), for the great suggestion. I think I will have to go shopping around for a digital recorder as you mentioned and do it that way. This seems the most simplest to me.

I tried putting my thumb drive straight into the back of my TV, and then put the TV on a music channel and tried to figure out how to make it record but no luck doing that..

I do not have a cord to connect to my headphone or speaker out from the TV and connect the other end to a computer mic input. (I'm looking for one of those too - thanks sfcrader).

A friend also emailed me and said he would send me some MP3 music, so I will have some new music to listen too...happy34:

If anyone figures out a good way to do this, other than what has been mentioned / suggested so far (above) post it here so others can record their music.. Im off to trying the suggestions above..

You could checkout "Free YouTube to MP3 Converter Studio 8.4" software. Downloads any YT file (single or playlists) and separates them into mp3 & mp4 format.

Most files over 360p are close to cd quality. Easy enough to transfer a few hundred mp3 files to a 2g flash drive.

As in canned cable music, there maybe infringement rights here. Never had issues for personal use only.

:680:

There are a number of ways to record from tv.

1: Headphone jack out to laptop audio in.

2: RCA line out jacks to mini laptop/computer in.

3: Audio outs/line outs to preamp to computer in.

4: Audio outs (RCA or mini) to converter cable to recorder...any audio recorder...then feed computer with files from recorder.

5: Ask for music from the membership! :680:

Most computers today have ins and outs that can be configured in the software provided on the computer. So configuring a MIC in to a LINE in is a possibility these days.

Some newer TV's can accept an external recorder or hard drive.

Most cable boxes that are DVR's, can add a hard drive VIA USB or other digital output. Some can even send the audio out to a USB thumb drive.

I know COX and COMCAST have boxen that can do that.

Hope this helps...

david

Edited by videoarizona
Stupid fingers...