IGNORED

Front tire on 1st gen E3 or...?

I just got Commander2 on rear last year-great tire. NOW I need front tire. Michelin does not have a front available in our size. I have had bad luck with Avon VenomX recently. Thusly, that's not an option. I see the Dunlop E3 has the highest load capacity for 120/90-18 like the Avon had. Can anyone say if the E3 gives good turn in, and stability ? I ride back roads dragging the saddlebag trim WFO following my sport bike friends. ALSO any other tire options ?

I checked as best I could at Dennis Kirk on how they are made. Dunlop is a true 4 ply tire. Thus a higher load rating over 700# like the old Avon which was good handling and rounded. There has been numerous issues with Metz. But not sure if that's front or rear. I like the heavier load capacity of the old Avon and E3 Dunlop...over 700# if I can get it, because I am hard on the brakes sometimes. The E3 for rear has a "flat" profile. Not rounded like Avon or Metz. Was wondering if the front is similarly "flat" in our 120 size ? A rounded profile aids in cornering. I also am reluctantly looking at Shinko 230 or 777 in our 120 size. They claim 4 ply for front. More responses the better.

Edited by jasonm.

I have E3's on my '85 VR and I really like them. I railed a few hundred miles in Arkansas in 2013 and over-ran the rear tread while carrying a passenger.

The tires hold up very, very well on this heavy bike. BTW: I do not like the E2 tires. They feel vague and the front wants to wobble at low speeds (I presently have a set of E2's on my '92). The second picture is the worn out E2 next to the mounted new E2 on my '85.

19may2013 017 (Medium).jpg00 002 (Small).jpg

Edited by GaryZ
added pic of front tire

I see your tire. I am very familiar with the rear tire. I have one in my basement with a nail in it. If you were to see an Avon or Comander2. You would see how dunlop gets the mileage from rear. It's not special rubber compound. It's the less-rounded profile. Thus it spreads the load. I got good mileage from the older "Elite2". But hated the handling. And the front Elite2 caused head shake and had a less rounded profile compared to others. What I mean to clarify is,...as many know, once you ride a rounded profile tire, the bike feels 200# lighter. But the front E3 I am not familiar with. It would help if I see a picture of an E3 on the front of a 1st gen. thanks

This is an E3 on the front of a first gen (6k on the pair). I actually liked the handling of the Shinko better, but not the life (less than 8k on rear and it was gone).

picture and info you have relayed has helped me significantly. My Commander2 has 3k. So a FRONT shinko lasting 10k or so would likely match the year the rear wears out.

thank you............. Was your shinko a 777 or 230 ???

Edited by jasonm.

be aware they no longer list the VenomX available. The replacement is the cobra. It has ONLY a 2 ply sidewall. And on a heavy bike like ours...you lose feel. I want a true 4-ply tire all around. The E3 is such a tire...BUT I already can see myself running off the edges with the existing profile. I have had my bike 25 years. I know what works for me. Easy and quick steering.

Edited by jasonm.

VenomX no longer available. The Cobra front is NOT a true 4 ply tire. As the sidewalls are ONLY 2 ply and I had issues wiuth the last front Avon-V-X. Avon has gone cheap. I can no longer trust their touring tires. Since I have had my bike over 25 years. I have had Dunlop, Bridgestome, Pirelli and Avon. The old Avons were great. Dunlops handled like bricks when conpared, but had good mileage. Obviously Dunlop has 3 tires to fit , E3, 404, 177...and maybe another. I think I will actually need to see the tire on a bike in person... if I go to Dunlop

Edited by jasonm.

It was the 230 Tourmaster.

230 oddly is a "V" rated tire. the 777 is the new "H" rated for touring. Wow my head is spinning. The 777 has the grooving like the E3 or Avon. The 777 is a new tire only 2 years in the field. And the reviews have been very positive. One review saying it's very similar to the Avon look. Looks like I am leaning that way

777 & 777 H.D. | Shinko Tire USA

230 Tour Master | Shinko Tire USA

Edited by jasonm.

the 230 looks sportier with different tread than most, slightly similar to the D404 and "V" speed rating(not needed but noted) , the 777 looks like the Avon and "H" rated. Please note: I like to ride the open road at rather high speeds. I am not a cruiser but a rider. High speed stability is important. My latest VenomX was not stable over 80mph, like when passing. Tire was seemingly "square". I had it balanced 3 times...spin bananced. No wheel bearing issues.

Edited by jasonm.

Stuck a Conti Tour on the front of Tweeks last time.. Got a lot miles on it now and worn out three different rear tires on rear while running Conti.. Thing is wearing like iron, handles great and smooth as silk and good in mountains at speed!! Got it cheap off Amazon (60 bucks) - very happy with it.. Have run a lot of different tires (Tweeks eats tires in the desert heat) - picked up a Full Bore last summer for the ride home from VentureWest (Oregon).. If price is a factor - I wouldnt be afraid to go Full Bore on front too - decent tire for the money.. I liked the E2's and miss em - liked the deals that were out there when they stopped making them,, 404's never lasted long enough to feel like I was getting moneys worth.. Had problems with Metzler 880's and know others that have too (chunking), would stay away from them unless nothing else to put on..

Currently running Michillen 2 on rear, Conti on front - works great..

Conti----conti-tour...you say. Wear is important along with sticking to the road and proper "feedback" it gives. I believe they make another too. This will help me a lot when I get out of winter storage. UPDATE>>>> Contitour no longer available. Only have the Conti-"Milestone". But no longer in our front size. Conti does not have any fronts IN OUR SIZE. I checked they listed a ContiGo 120/90. But that is listed everywhere as a rear only.

Edited by jasonm.

Conti----conti-tour...you say. Wear is important along with sticking to the road and proper "feedback" it gives. I believe they make another too. This will help me a lot when I get out of winter storage. UPDATE>>>> Contitour no longer available. Only have the Conti-"Milestone". But no longer in our front size. Conti does not have any fronts IN OUR SIZE. I checked they listed a ContiGo 120/90. But that is listed everywhere as a rear only.

Didnt realize that, should have half way expected though cause I found em on Amazon early last spring for $57 shipped, bought mine and passed a link and I think someone on here got one too.. THEY ARE AWESOME TIRES!! I like em cause they are 6 ply too.. Anyway, below is what I am using, listed at DK but not available - still shows the specs though.. Second link is that tire being offered NOS on Ebay that ends in 2 days - its at 1 dollar right now.. Let me know if your not going to bid on it cause I will probably grab it if it goes for under 20 bucks (that would be $45 including shipping)

https://www.denniskirk.com/front-tk16-conti-tour-120-90h-18-blackwall-tire.p64312.prd/64312.sku

Continental Conti Tour 18" Motorcycle Tire 120 90 18 N O S | eBay

If you dont mind running older rubber, might go cheap ya never know.. You can also watch around the smaller shops in your area - ours always have tire sales to get rid of outdated rubber - might find one if its what your looking for.. Just checked the one on my bike installed early last spring, been to Mexico via texas - california - Washington - back to california - over to Glacier - back to Mi - down to Alabama - out to east coast back to Mi - U. P. of Mich and back home, still has nubs between the tread - looks great!!!! I pack pretty heavy, ride two up and ride a LOT of +100 desert heat...

https://www.denniskirk.com/front-tk16-conti-tour-120-90h-18-blackwall-tire.p64312.prd/64312.sku

Best wishes what ever you decided to do Jason, ride safe out there!!

Didnt realize that, should have half way expected though cause I found em on Amazon early last spring for $57 shipped, bought mine and passed a link and I think someone on here got one too.. THEY ARE AWESOME TIRES!! I like em cause they are 6 ply too.. Anyway, below is what I am using, listed at DK but not available - still shows the specs though.. Second link is that tire being offered NOS on Ebay that ends in 2 days - its at 1 dollar right now.. Let me know if your not going to bid on it cause I will probably grab it if it goes for under 20 bucks (that would be $45 including shipping)

Continental Conti Tour 18" Motorcycle Tire 120 90 18 N O S | eBay

If you dont mind running older rubber, might go cheap ya never know.. You can also watch around the smaller shops in your area - ours always have tire sales to get rid of outdated rubber - might find one if its what your looking for.. Just checked the one on my bike installed early last spring, been to Mexico via texas - california - Washington - back to california - over to Glacier - back to Mi - down to Alabama - out to east coast back to Mi - U. P. of Mich and back home, still has nubs between the tread - looks great!!!! I pack pretty heavy, ride two up and ride a LOT of +100 desert heat...

Best wishes what ever you decided to do Jason, ride safe out there!!

They stopped making the Conti-tour in 2012. Thus I hope you get one of the last ones. I am not likely to bid due to the potential age issue of the tire. And I only put 3k a year on the bike. It has a very high load rating with 5 ply rayon. Very strong material. Very nice. Ultimately , What I would have hoped, was a Commander2 for the front in our size. Wishful thinking. Remember to check the date code on any tire you have. Once a tire gets much past 5 years old...cracking can happen. Just depends on quality of the tire and it's exposure to the sun. Lastly some sites are offering the VenomX in our size on sale. But that is now a discontinued tire also. But at not so cheap prices. And as stated before, my latest V-X I had issues with. Good luck

Edited by jasonm.

One more thing.... I remember way back in history. People would use rear tires in front by simply turning the tire around. As the tires are designed with the typical force at hand , braking vs. acceleration it has i on it. Thus turning it around was old school cure. I suspect no one does that now ??? There are MANY rears 120/90-18 out there for the rear with proper load rating...maybe just turn them around ???:confused::feedback: