IGNORED

Front tire on 1st gen E3 or...?

One more thing.... I remember way back in history. People would use rear tires in front by simply turning the tire around. As the tires are designed with the typical force at hand , braking vs. acceleration it has i on it. Thus turning it around was old school cure. I suspect no one does that now ??? There are MANY rears 120/90-18 out there for the rear with proper load rating...maybe just turn them around ???:confused::feedback:

Many tires have a tread design that sheds water turning the way it was designed. Something to consider if you use a rear tire on the front.

that does apply to some tires. But looking at a VenomX the rear and front look very similar. I had both on my bike at same time. Same look with Shinko777 . I have seen rear tires in 120/90 that have more water sipes than the Avon or Shinko. Take a look they are out there. I had the old dunlop EliteII 20 years ago on this Venture. Had plenty of water sipes. It was a terrible tire for handling. I do not know what the replacement now is. Since I have had my bike over 25 years. I have had Dunlop, Bridgestome, Pirelli and Avon. The old Avons were great and got great mileage 18k+ rear. Dunlops handled like bricks when conpared, but had good mileage. Obviously Dunlop has 3 tires to fit , E3, 404, 177...and maybe another. I think I will actually need to see the tire on a bike in person... if I go to Dunlop . I know manufacturers may not admit that this old school approach is still "okay". Just wondering if this is a viable idea. Still trying to figure it all out...

Edited by jasonm.

I went with the Shinko 230 Tourmasters...front and rear. I know the rear will wear out faster than a Dunlop...but I like the handling and ride. Add the price differential and knowing when the rear tire goes, I can lube and check out the rear end and brakes...I'm OK with Shinko!

How many miles did you get out of the front...???

Karaboo only replaced rear I think. Only got 8k out of it. So no info on fronts as of yet for expected mileage... Everyone likely knows the fronts have half the tread depth of rears. Thus they usually wear out within a year of each other when using same brand/model.

Hmm...I may have misread your question. If you were asking me how many miles I got out of the front Metz....it looked brand new when I got rid of both front and rear. I wanted a matched set since I didn't know how a different rear would react with a front Metz. Kind of a waste of a fairly new front tire, I know, but it's my butt on a heavy bike...I didn't want to take any chances. In hindsite, I should have taken the front back and given it away here...someone else could have used it. My bad!

I am trying to get an idea of how long a shinko in front would last. Karaboo said the rear 230 went 8k. I suspect the front maybe similar in life in the 230 tourmaster type. As of late my front and rears seam to wear out within 1 or 2k of each other. Thus it's likely the 777 may be my choice when the weather warms up. As I hope to get at least 10k on the new front. Getting 8-12" of snow today. Boston getting 24+. Also noticed an ODD spec. on Shinko site. They recommend the front tire be on a 2.75 width rim. Ours is 2.5 , very odd spec for this size tire compared to other manufacturers. ...? FYI- there is a misprint in the OEM 86 service manual...says rim width is 2.15"...it's actually 2.5", it's on the rim.

Anyone have experience with the 777 chime in.

Edited by jasonm.

I replaced both Shinko Tourmaster 230's at 8k, but only the rear was used up. I could have gotten another 4k out of the front (it appeared half depth was gone) but replaced as a set. It was the end of the riding season and I got a deal for ordering a pair of E3's. I started to feel just a little twitch on tar snakes and seams for the last thousand miles. Didn't know if it was from front or back, as I replaced both.

Everywhere online the 230 is usually $20 less than the 777. Average price of the 230 is $65 , 777 $85. I do not replace tires as a set if not needed. As I do 99% OF THE WRENCHING. It's worn...then it's replaced. No need in keeping the bike off the road longer than needed. My current Avon only made it 10k on the front. Which I feel is not great for a $120+ tire . My previous front Avon made it 14k+. Thus I believe they have gotten cheaper made. Good to know either Shinko should go 10K+ on front. I see very positive reviews of both Shinko tires on various sites. Thanks...:biker:

Edited by jasonm.

• 3 months later...

Have to give an update.... I looked at a few tires up close. Dunlop 404 and E3. I got the expensive E3 from my local guy who gives great prices. I noticed a few things...1st the tire is approx. 1/2 inch narrower than the Avon. Which is fine because you cannot use the whole tread on the Avon's steep profile. Also the E3 not counting tread wear is slightly taller. I can say the Avon and Dunlop steer very much the same, aka= quick turn in and stable at all lean angles, which is what I wanted. As long as the Dunlop holds air properly I will be very satisfied.