I would like for those of you who use the chat rooms to give me an evaluation of the two solutions that I have installed at this time. The old one is pretty slick and has some nice features but doesn't work from all devices. The new one isn't as slick but seems to work just as well and is easier to get into and out of I think.

It will be your call. If you choose the new one called "Shoutbox" at the top of the page then I will update it to the pro version. That won't make it any slicker looking but will add a few features such as allowing you to detach and run it in a separate window, turn the notification sounds on or off, things like that.

Like I said, it is your call. From a money stand point, it's not a big deal. I would have to pay for the pro version of the new one but I also pay a yearly hosting fee separately for the old one so for the short term at least, it's pretty much a wash.

So lets hear it. What do you want?

The other option is that I could keep both but not upgrade the new one to the pro version. Just leave it as it is. I really don't think that we need two chat rooms though.

OK you asked for it.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to both.

Neither is perfect. Neither is terrible.

Flash Chat

Pros

Stable. It kicks people out less often.

Has the ability to attach pics and flash emotions.

Runs in a separate window.

What is said in chat stays in chat and is not visible to others that come in after a comment is made.

Cons

Someone has to sit in a chat room all alone until someone else shows up to chat to get it started.

Shout box

Pros

You can post something and it will sit there for anyone to see even if you leave the Shoutbox, so you can converse with out both parties present.

Cons

Can not post pics or emotions.

I am normally in the "New Posts" window, so I have to open a separate window for Shoutbox anyhow.

To many system messages about post counts and likes/thanks.

Hard to carry on a conversation when it keeps booting us out. Then we end up in the old chat anyhow.

The history shows up forever viewable by anyone. Chat conversations are sometimes a little more personal than what should be in an open forum.

Yes I know I have the same feature listed as both a pro and a con. I am not sure where I stand on it yet, AND it is one of the bigger deals to me.

I guess at this point i am still using old chat to actually carry on a conversation and Shoutbox more as a forum to post comments in. It may take a while yet to sort out the 2 versions.

Edited by Flyinfool

The system messages about most counts and etc. can be turned off. In fact, I will turn them off now. You are never really booted out. You just are idled after a few minutes of no activity to save system resources. As for what is said? It is there, you just can't see it. I can go back and look at the history at any time.