IGNORED

First generation value

Brenner

I would like to ask for an honest opinion on the first generation motorcycle value. I understand value depends on location, time of year, condition, sellers hardship or lack of interest, and honestly what a buyer is willing to pay. Some may even claim that their rides are priceless. Would anyone be willing to share what they feel is a fair price for the average first gen xvz or what they feel their bike is roughly worth and maybe a reason as to why they feel that way? I have tried to use the search engine to research this info but have been unsuccessful. I know there is no right or wrong answers but I am sure even though I might be asking a possibly bias forum that with enough replies there should be an average value. If anyone has an appraised value please state it as so as I have noticed sometimes appraised, insured value, and real market values differ. I am not trying to cause any problems but am trying to decide how much an average bike like this is roughly worth, insured value, and where my cutoff will be with my project. I will most likely calculate what the average value is and what I feel my upgrades and customizing are worth to me so I will have a rough total at which I will be comfortable with. So if you feel like sharing please do but no buying or selling posts as I want to adhere to forum rules. As always any comments or recommendations are appreciated and considered. Thank you

well I'm no expert or even novice price. with all the things that have to be upgraded. Don't think I would pay more than 1500 for a bike that hasn't been upgraded. More like 800. But I'm cheep to begin with. I have a lot more than that in mine and cant even get it going correct.

"where my cutoff will be with my project"

I don't think that many old project bikes would survive a "cost/benefit" accounting analysis. The best rational for working on an old bike is "because I wanted to". The finished project will be worth more to you than anyone else and it will be special to you because you made it that way.

Good luck!

zag

Bikes in Canada seem to sell for a higher price than they do in the US, and bikes in Western Canada seem to be higher still. I would recommend sending member Paysaw (Raymond Lowe) here a message as he seems to be buying the G1 Ventures , and fixing them up on a regular basis. Also, he is close to your area in Ontario so he should have a great idea of where yours would price at.

Brian

"where my cutoff will be with my project"

I don't think that many old project bikes would survive a "cost/benefit" accounting analysis. The best rational for working on an old bike is "because I wanted to". The finished project will be worth more to you than anyone else and it will be special to you because you made it that way.

Good luck!

zag

Unless things are different in Canada, it's almost always a better $$ value to buy one someone else has already completed.

I've seen running Gen 1s advertised from about $700 to about $4,000 depending on the condition and the miles on the bike. The only way to know if it is a good deal is to start looking at them. Anything that old, the book value means little. It's all about the condition of the bike.

Well I live in the same area as you (more or less) and I sold my 84 which was in fantastic shape with a ton of extras that I knew I was not going to get my money out of when I added them. I did it to make it mine.. and was very happy with it.. I'd still have it if I had the room but I got a great deal on a MM (which is my favourite 2nd Gen) and .. well .. down the road she went at $2800. I believe I could have asked for $3500 and probably gotten it if I had more time. Just needed someone to come see her. The first person to come to see her was so excited.. Went to the bank immediately for cash and didn't argue about price.

Well, if somebody is looking for a 1984 mine is in sale for 1300$. I don't use it since 2009, and I stop using it when I got my 1997 RS. I fixed a lot and also finished all the wiring for the CB and dual antenas. Of course it will need new battery, and carb clean before to restart it. Oil and filter was change just before to stop using it, and also I have a lot of spare parts for it.

Unless things are different in Canada, it's almost always a better $$ value to buy one someone else has already completed.

Very true - as long as you completely trust the work that was done. My daughter bought a pickup truck a couple of weeks ago that the previous owner (some newbie tinkerer) had made into a sort of "monster truck" with huge wheels and the chassis lifted up high. The door sill is about 4 ft off the ground, making it a real treat to climb in! I mention this because a few days ago she was driving in town with a couple of friends and the driver's side front wheel literally broke off the hub and went rolling away into someone's yard, narrowly missing a parked car! Since she was only going 25mph or so, she DIDN'T roll the thing and get killed. Geesh! Turned out that the mounting bolts stripped out of the extended wheel hub and simply let the tire go rolling off on its own. I rode with her a couple of days before this happened and nothing seemed weird, so go figger. My conclusion is that buying someone else's fixed up or customized vehicle can be super risky unless you know alot about the expertise of the person doing the work.

PS The truck debacle isn't quite over yet. She found a set of slightly smaller wheels and tires which bolt up without an adapter hub and may actually make a profit on the deal by selling the super big ones. It is pretty cool looking but as her father, I'm happier when she drives her Civic!

zag

IMHO,, AVERAGE sell price for a ridable - functional - 83/84 1st Gen = about where Calperiun is at on his = 1300 around here.. Half that for a good running parts bike, half that again for a non running parts bike seems to be about where I have seen em.. Like it or not, for some reason our beloved Ventures just never caught on to the masses like the Wing did and have pretty much been worth about half of what an equivalent Wing is = IMHO..

Another interesting of observation,, I have watched Harley prices doing crazy stuff the last few years.. Seems like some awesome deals continue to happen - lots of early twin cams out there for well under 6,, Evo's for well under 5.. What in tarnation has that got to do with our bikes you will ask... Well,, once again, IMHO,, Harley seems to be the benchmark in following business trends and determining sell prices for streetbikes.. It just seems to me that as Harley values go up and down, so does the rest of the industry - weird observation eay.....

On another note,, I was watching with tears in my eyes and DRUEL hanging from my chin as this Yamaha V Max | eBay gorgeous V-Max slipped out of my vision!!!!! Wish I felt better, didnt have all these mounting medical bills and had half the energy I had not to long ago cause I would have LOVED to traveled down to Texas, stopped and bought Biker John's family, Squid and Lonna dinner and brought home my new V-4 Yammer!!!!

Sorry Brenner,, got carried away,,,,,,,,, anyway,, I think your comment of "honestly what a buyer is willing to pay" is honestly, your best answer!!

You will never get your time and effort out of your bike.As Wizard said , you do the upgrades for you.Wayne did a fabulous job on this 84. I have highly modified my Brown 86 and I am in the process of rebuilding another Black 86.You get what you get at the time you sell it.For me if it the pride of ownership and turning of heads as you ride by.

Thanks to all that have replied. Pretty much what I thought and it is nice to have confirmation. At the time of asking I figured I had about $ 1500 in this project including a parts bike. I now figure I will be at roughly $2000 -$2500 all said and done the way I want. I am satisfied with that and have to remember that I am not just resurrecting this bike as it came originally but also am changing items I do not need to to get the effect I want. After researching classifieds, watching a few auctions, and with this forums help I can see a really clean nice bike might fetch $3000. With my last project it was bought for $280 and I invested $2000 into it and have not had any regrets because it has been so reliable and attracts attention with lots of compliments. I am hoping and feel this project will get the same results. I feel more positive as my project has moved forward and now it is starting to look like a bike again, triple trees in place, wiring being reinstalled, have sorted through the parts I have and making a list of needs and wants..... Progress feels so good. I went to my mail box this morning and picked up a few parts and when I install the brake system I will be utilizing the R1 gold dot calipers, and not linking the system. I will be looking into lines and rear brake options this week. I really had a hard time sleeping last night as it finally clicked to me the paint scheme I have been trying to figure out. Time will tell if my paint skills will represent my vision as well as I hope they will. Sorry just got a head full of ideas and thoughts on this project. I shall take my leave and thank you all, I wish you an early happy new year.