IGNORED

RSTD to a 2005 Vulcan 2000 Limited???

yuckly

Hello Venture Riders!

here is the thing, LOVE my 05 RSTD! Ride it daily to commute and ride all alllll weekend long around NC and SC with my club. Put a buncha $$ in it, got it running right. D3K. slip ons. trinkets. I like the power, sound, it's a beautiful paint scheme, classic lines, etc. etc.

The only time that i long for a different bike is when the wife (120#) and I hit the highway with all the Harley's and the high revs just start to get on my nerves a bit. They are puttin' along and I am wound up! The earplugs help. but at 85 it is a bit much to handle for long periods of time.

I have recently become intrigued with the Vulcan 2000. Fell in love with the '05 Limited paint job. Good fit for me at 67.5 wheelbase. I am 6'4". I am a huuuge STAR fan and was thinking that my progression into a v-twin would be the Road Star, but the wheelbase 66.5 is a bit shorter and I want to go bigger, not smaller. Hence the Vulcan 2000 at 68.3. Overall, it is a huge bike. I like that!

I was just looking for feedback from some of ya'll who may have considered, or have a v-twin in the stable.

I appreciate your input!

From other friends who have a Vulcan 2000,be ready to change the seat. I have three friends who ride that bike and all three have had to do something to the seat to ride more then an hour or so. None of them ride with passengers but I suspect that your wife will not like her accommodations either.

Good fit for me at 67.5 wheelbase - meaning the RSTD.

Yeah, i am aware that the seat would have to go.

I hear what you are saying about the stock mufflers, but i guess that is not a consolation that I am willing to make. As i had said, I am very happy with the bike up to 70 mph. (or 65.5 mph actually.. haha!)

I have been disappointed before thinking that I wanted another bike. Most notably, the Victory Vision. I thought that was going to rock my world, but i left the test ride disappointed. I test rode a 2015 CVO Street Glide (not even CLO$E to an option) You can keep it thanks... The same could happen with the Vulcan. I have an acquaintance that has one, so I will get to test ride it.

it may simply come down to the fact that I want a v-twin? I will not know until i ride them and consider the pros and cons. I ride the RSTD everyday and love a lot of things about the around town ride. I just thought that I could get some input from someone that has made the switch, or has both a V4 and the twin. Just a conversation.

Appreciate your responses.

Hey Yuck,,, THANKS for asking for our opinions - I LOVE giving mine!!!

As you know,, there is a lot more to comfort on a bike than wheelbase.. Ya might wanna actually ride one and see if there are any issues impeading comfort that cant be fixed by optional equipment.. Perfect example of this is my love for the early Voyager 2's.. Tried everything imaginable to get the leg room, fabbed up extentions for the pegs (no small undertaking) - just not enough ground clearance..

Personally,, I like that great big ol 2000cc Vulcan too... It is a big, beautiful piece of work!! I also really like the Strat and have always liked the Honda 1800 VTX too,, love the Ultra Limited and the new Indian is to die for.. Now that I think about the big V-Twin market,,,, I really really have always liked the Raider.. Opppss,, got side tracked in my thoughts,,, after being around a pretty good mix of these big bore monsters I can tell ya.. On the Vulcan, keep an eye on the oil level - Vulcans like to breath their crankcase air and aspirate a little, adding oil at 2k of highway riding is not uncommon with em.. All the big bores twins are hard on rear tires, strats and vulcans seem to be the worst - price to pay for using coffee cans for pistons..

I am still partial to shaft drive so the VTX has a little shine there, a Strat belt change on the road is possible - Harley is an absolute shop job and even than not for the faint of heart - Kaw Vulcan I am not sure on cause I have never been involved in one but I would know before I headed west with one..

Also,, keep in mind that Harley has a huge options catalog and their aftermarket is beyond compare.. The Vulcan 2000, because of its limited production, will be at the bottom of the barrel in that world..

There, now ya know what I think I know... Put it together with any other opinions you get here and you will be way smarter than me!!!!:rotf:

Oh, by the way, loud pipes on a Harley running 85 for a few hours can get mighty tiring too,,, dont let that fake smile on your buddies face fool ya Yuck - noise is noise..

I appreciate the response and your enthusiasm cowpuc!!

Good things to think about! Which reminds me that I was also wanting to go to EFI and a belt drive which is another reason that the Vulcan was attractive.

I demoed a Strat... no likey. Demoed a Raider and was all smiles. Fun bike to ride! What it really comes down to I guess is the high revs of the tranny on the RSTD that gets on my nerves.

I will continue to kick it around and see what really rocks my world. I will not get rid of the RSTD! I will get the twin and see which I like more. If the twin doesn't hack it, i will sell it and have my ol' RSTD to get back on.

I see that my friends in the club are CONSTANTLY... literally CONSTANTLY working on their bikes. not just to improve them, but to fix them.Always... And the shop charges an arm and a leg and 9/10 it has to go back due to crappy service. I do not think for a SECOND that HD is the answer. I am open to all possibilities, but i am borderline anti-HD...

I would find a Vulcan 2000 that someone has done a bit to in respect to seat and other light touring amenities.

it is just fun to think about the possibilities...

Yuckly,

I looked at the Vulcan 2000 long and hard before I decided to go with the RSTD. I am 6'6" and the size and length of it attracted me. However, I am a revy guy. I like the sound and quick rev feeling of the 4 cyl. motor. That lopey thumpity thump of a v-twin kinda in the end doesn't come across as, I don't know how to explain it, but, it always sounds to me like it's got a miss or something. I love the smoothness of the V4. I do understand what you're talking about with the high rev at high speeds. The RSTD needs a 6th gear. But in our travels from one end of the country to the other, I just decided to accept it as a natural trait of this bike. My love for the V4 supersedes it I guess.

Another couple key points that made me go with the RSTD over the Vulcan 2000 is; Cruise control and locking hard bags are absolute musts for me as I/we travel. I use my cruise all the time both locally and while on our long vacation trips. Messing with a freakin throttle lock is something that would annoy me. And hard bags that lock and match the paint color of the bike are aesthetically better looking to me.

Thats just my humble opinion. But if you can't quit thinkin about that big ol oversized 2000 brute, go buy the thing and ride the hair off of it. Ya might like it. LOL.

"""it is just fun to think about the possibilities...""""

That would go into my sig area with your name beside it if there was room Yuck,,, other than riding em - nothin funner than dreamin about the possibilities...

I am the opposite on the Harley borderline thingy.. I love Harley's,, I think HD has done some AWESOME things with where they have taken the market for a 1920's air cooled tractor motor stuck into a bicycle frame... Tell ya one thing for sure,, I have noticed a huge drop in the stopping and working on broken Harleys while traveling out to Sturgis compared to the way it used to be,,, I am sure it has everything to do with the 07 and newer twin cam (after the cam chain tensioner problem was addressed)...

Also,, from my perspective,, I admire HD for keeping the V-Twin market alive,, if it werent for them I highly doubt that that great big ol gorgeous Vulcan 2000 would even exist.. Our V-4's are so superior in performance, effeciency, durabilty, reliabilty and function that all bikes would probably be 1983 Yamaha Venture clones:stirthepot: if it werent for Harley,,,,,,,,, like you said,,, it is just fun to think about the possibilities...

Thanks for your responses cowpuc and big Lenny! I hear you on the history and innovation that HD had had on the mc world.

I will get on that Vulcan 2000 on the next few days and give a report.

I worked on the rstd for 2 hours when I got home today trying to get some Fiberglas packing around my baffles in tthe baron touring pipes. Totally forgot that a former rstd owner told me to do this and gave me the packing. Maybe it will make enough of a difference at higher speeds??

I had LA choppers on my RSTD and loved the sound around town but on long trips the sound was too loud and the wife hated them. went to some Harley RK's and they sound good. not as loud but I can ride through a take of gas and not be bothered because of the noise.

Just change the mufflers

Stock mufflers would cure the issue. But, it appears that you want that Vulcan. So, I say go for it! Have fun!

I had LA choppers on my RSTD and loved the sound around town but on long trips the sound was too loud and the wife hated them. went to some Harley RK's and they sound good. not as loud but I can ride through a take of gas and not be bothered because of the noise.

Thanks for your responses cowpuc and big Lenny! I hear you on the history and innovation that HD had had on the mc world.

I will get on that Vulcan 2000 on the next few days and give a report.

I worked on the rstd for 2 hours when I got home today trying to get some Fiberglas packing around my baffles in tthe baron touring pipes. Totally forgot that a former rstd owner told me to do this and gave me the packing. Maybe it will make enough of a difference at higher speeds??

Oh man, you are more than welcome,, ALWAYS a pleasure yakking bikes!!

As the guys above mentioned,, I betcha you will be extremely amazed at how much better your pipes are gonna sound,,, that packing you are talking about will REALLY make a difference - give er a shot and let us know what cha think..

ALSO,, when you do the test ride on that Vulcan,, pretty please dont forget your camera,,,, besides having forum rules about posting ride reports without pics there are also those among us who are very picture orientated..:backinmyday:

O yes!!! Great Idea. I try to always include pictures and/or videos with my posts!

I am going to add that packing for sure, but will need to go to the shop and get some assistance getting the baffles out. That 2hrs I spent last nite did not produce any results... just frustration. Those baffles were in there good!

I will report back when i get that handled!

Headed to work so didn't have time to read the full thread.

But, in the Star line, I had a Road Star first, put 50k miles on it. Got a 2006 RSTD, still got it at 100k miles. Picked up a Strat for a year.

But then had the chance to get a 2009 RSV at a very good price and dumped the Strat. Now got 68k miles on the RSV.

Basically, I liked the RSTD so much, I got the RSV as my two up and tour bike.

Still ride the RSTD as my solo commute. Great combination of bikes for what you mention.

Ok, Yuck here is my 2cents and I have a Vulcan, albeit a 1500. Unlike Puc, who can give from a mechanical point of view, my Vulcan is a 1500, bought as my first bike in 2003( bike is a 2000 year model). I still have, ride and love my Vulcan. It doesn't get as many miles over the last few years with the addition of the RSV and then the new GW. However, I've ridden it in the coldest ( New York City)and hottest( Florida summers) of temps and it never once left me stranded. It's also liquid cooled. I've been on over night trips and backed it to the gills with my wife for weekend trips. Always there for me. I don't have the experience as Puc suggests regarding oil, because mine does not leak, drip, sputter, spit or sneak excess oil. My one and only issue was last year it would sporadically not start after being out. A new battery fixed it. In fact, the battery was the original Japanese battery from 1999! I went almost 15 years on original battery, 8 in Florida.

anyway...see if you can test ride it. I know those vulcans, almost all of them prior to the 09 Vulcan voyagers are reliable, comfortable, and you can modernize and accessorize...if you want the hard saddlebags, perhaps the kawasaki nomad would be up your alley. For me and MY experience, I am pro Vulcan. I change brakes, fluids and tires. Over time I added LED lights, kuryakyn speakers, an MP3 player, highway pegs, and I would go anywhere in the USA with confidence. Hope this diatribe helped in some way...

MikeG: I am thinking that I would also want an RSV for the long haul!! I know that addition of the tour pack and fairing make it top heavy compared to the RSTD. Just keep the RSTD for the daily commute- BRILLIANT!!

Thanks also to Barrycuda concerning the Vulcan. vn2000 would be the only thing i would consider. Love how massive it is! I appreciate your input into this discussion. I like the vulcan line as well, but I am mostly just pro-metric!

As far as the v-twin vs. V-4, I prefer the v-twin. I bought a HD Roadglide and love the low end power. It might not be as fast as my rstd or accel as fast, but I don't care. If I am putting along and twist the throttle it just goes, love the low end torque. The HD's might not be your cup of tea, but I bet you will like a v-twin. I bought my RG in 2011and since I got it I have put less than 20 miles on my rstd. The only time I got on it this year was to move it around in the garage. My son rides it now. I just love the v-twin and how the RG handles. I would expect other v-twin brands would give me the same feelings.

Ok, Yuck here is my 2cents and I have a Vulcan, albeit a 1500. Unlike Puc, who can give from a mechanical point of view, my Vulcan is a 1500, bought as my first bike in 2003( bike is a 2000 year model). I still have, ride and love my Vulcan. It doesn't get as many miles over the last few years with the addition of the RSV and then the new GW. However, I've ridden it in the coldest ( New York City)and hottest( Florida summers) of temps and it never once left me stranded. It's also liquid cooled. I've been on over night trips and backed it to the gills with my wife for weekend trips. Always there for me. I don't have the experience as Puc suggests regarding oil, because mine does not leak, drip, sputter, spit or sneak excess oil. My one and only issue was last year it would sporadically not start after being out. A new battery fixed it. In fact, the battery was the original Japanese battery from 1999! I went almost 15 years on original battery, 8 in Florida.

anyway...see if you can test ride it. I know those vulcans, almost all of them prior to the 09 Vulcan voyagers are reliable, comfortable, and you can modernize and accessorize...if you want the hard saddlebags, perhaps the kawasaki nomad would be up your alley. For me and MY experience, I am pro Vulcan. I change brakes, fluids and tires. Over time I added LED lights, kuryakyn speakers, an MP3 player, highway pegs, and I would go anywhere in the USA with confidence. Hope this diatribe helped in some way...

Good post Mr. Cudaaaaa!!! Gotta ask you (or anyone else following this thread for that matter),, have you any info on the 09 or newer Vulcan Voyagers (just reading between the lines on your statement above)?? I personally havent even seen one on the road yet (the new Voyager) and would love to hear any feedback on them.. I like em,, I like the look and Tip n I have sat on a few - they got a pretty good feel sitting in the showroom... Word in the back alley around here is about a 40/60 split on the fairing look - seems like less people care for the fairing than do (I personally like it).. I think one would look awesome as make a believe "Street Glide" (I think its called making a bagger....),,, stick a quick release on the tour pac, cop a single saddle somewhere,, you guys know the routine...

Opppssss,, highjacked Yucks thread,,, sorry Yuck,,, just file my bo-bo under me applying your """it is just fun to think about the possibilities..."""" syndrome..

The Voyager was on my rader pretty hard before I got the RSV. I didnt get to ride one, but talked to dozens of guys that had them. One of the largest complaints was heat off the motor. One fellow said his wife wouldnt even ride anymore as it burned her right foot. I have a pair of RK muffs on mine now, but for long trips I dont like all the racket and put the OEM's back on.

tomorrow i will be working on the RSTD at the local shop. New wheel bearing in front and gonna pack those slip ons.

as mentioned above somewhere, I love the pipes I have - aesthetically! ha ha!! I just totally forgot that i had the muffler packing to quiet the noise a bit from the cockpit. My buddy told me that he did it and it really helped with the racket at higher speeds. So we will try that and it will help I am sure.

I had the stock pipes on there when i first got the bike, then drilled them out as per the threads here (Stage 1??) I also have a set of Street Glide pipes in the rafters.

BJ66 - I love a Road Glide! They have a murdered out one that is really mean at one of our local dealers $20k. I don't doubt that I would love that bike. I am glad you like yours!

SOme of the other thing that I failed to mention in my original post was that I was interested in EFI and Belt Drive. MOST bikes have had EFI for ten years, and the belt drive eliminated the shaft lash. vn2000hardbagsblack.jpg

tomorrow i will be working on the RSTD at the local shop. New wheel bearing in front and gonna pack those slip ons.

as mentioned above somewhere, I love the pipes I have - aesthetically! ha ha!! I just totally forgot that i had the muffler packing to quiet the noise a bit from the cockpit. My buddy told me that he did it and it really helped with the racket at higher speeds. So we will try that and it will help I am sure.

I had the stock pipes on there when i first got the bike, then drilled them out as per the threads here (Stage 1??) I also have a set of Street Glide pipes in the rafters.

BJ66 - I love a Road Glide! They have a murdered out one that is really mean at one of our local dealers $20k. I don't doubt that I would love that bike. I am glad you like yours!

SOme of the other thing that I failed to mention in my original post was that I was interested in EFI and Belt Drive. MOST bikes have had EFI for ten years, and the belt drive eliminated the shaft lash. [ATTACH=CONFIG]95762[/ATTACH]

Good grief THAT is gorgeous! Like ole Forest Gump used to say,,,,, life is like a box of chocolates! To which we bikers could add,, its fun to sample all of them Forest!

Good post Mr. Cudaaaaa!!! Gotta ask you (or anyone else following this thread for that matter),, have you any info on the 09 or newer Vulcan Voyagers (just reading between the lines on your statement above)?? I personally havent even seen one on the road yet (the new Voyager) and would love to hear any feedback on them.. I like em,, I like the look and Tip n I have sat on a few - they got a pretty good feel sitting in the showroom... Word in the back alley around here is about a 40/60 split on the fairing look - seems like less people care for the fairing than do (I personally like it).. I think one would look awesome as make a believe "Street Glide" (I think its called making a bagger....),,, stick a quick release on the tour pac, cop a single saddle somewhere,, you guys know the routine...

Opppssss,, highjacked Yucks thread,,, sorry Yuck,,, just file my bo-bo under me applying your """it is just fun to think about the possibilities..."""" syndrome..

Stay clear of those Vulcan voyagers, Puc. They produce an unwanted and dangerous amount of heat coming from the exhaust. Cheap ass kawi tried but failed to rectify by adding a KAWS system which is some plastic cowl system to reduce the overbearing heat. In fact, not only did it not really help, kawasaki would not cover the $399 price to save your sizzling leg. Kawasaki really dropped the ball because they could have had a very good machine for entering tone touring market. They do not add rear speakers, CB and these are all add ons. From what I heard and remember, the saddlebags and trunk are not as strong, or durable. Another factoid...my goldwing purchase was a result of the P.O. and wife fell in love with the voyager red/ pewter color scheme and bought a brand new one, selling the GW. A few months later I checked in with the chap. It seems his wife isn't very keen, and they don't ride as much and the wife down right hates the bike. So much so, that she refused to meet me for a friendly lunch bc she didn't want to see the GW....

barneys of brooksville had an '11 model to test ride. I was the ONLY one who took it out in over 6+ months. It was easy to maneuver at slow speeds, shifting smooth, and lower seat for my short legs. The heat was unacceptable, and current owners also complain about the radio antenna and reception aggravating them. The colors and style look really cool and sharp, but they short change you in other ways which I can not have.

i can't, endorse the voyager, but can and will endorse the Vulcan Classic, 1600, 2000 etc...

once again, companies like kawasaki and yamaha refuse to listen to those who RIDE motorcycles.....

Stay clear of those Vulcan voyagers, Puc. They produce an unwanted and dangerous amount of heat coming from the exhaust. Cheap ass kawi tried but failed to rectify by adding a KAWS system which is some plastic cowl system to reduce the overbearing heat. In fact, not only did it not really help, kawasaki would not cover the $399 price to save your sizzling leg. Kawasaki really dropped the ball because they could have had a very good machine for entering tone touring market. They do not add rear speakers, CB and these are all add ons. From what I heard and remember, the saddlebags and trunk are not as strong, or durable. Another factoid...my goldwing purchase was a result of the P.O. and wife fell in love with the voyager red/ pewter color scheme and bought a brand new one, selling the GW. A few months later I checked in with the chap. It seems his wife isn't very keen, and they don't ride as much and the wife down right hates the bike. So much so, that she refused to meet me for a friendly lunch bc she didn't want to see the GW....

barneys of brooksville had an '11 model to test ride. I was the ONLY one who took it out in over 6+ months. It was easy to maneuver at slow speeds, shifting smooth, and lower seat for my short legs. The heat was unacceptable, and current owners also complain about the radio antenna and reception aggravating them. The colors and style look really cool and sharp, but they short change you in other ways which I can not have.

i can't, endorse the voyager, but can and will endorse the Vulcan Classic, 1600, 2000 etc...

once again, companies like kawasaki and yamaha refuse to listen to those who RIDE motorcycles.....

Barry,

Thanks for the info. I've looked at the new Voyager because it is an attractive looking bike. However, I had noticed the flimsyness of the bags and trunk lids. Also, the windshield is very flimsy. I did not know about the heat issue until mentioned on this thread, but I did see that Kawi has installed some kind of a blower system under the seat for that issue. I saw that they also have that blower system on the Vaquero. I guess they have failed at figuring out the air managment when they add a fairing to their bikes. At first glance the Voyager looks like a heck of a deal given you can buy a brand new one for $16K to $18K, however, closer inspection with the cheaper plastics and the heat from the motor, as well as it not coming with rear speakers and intercom, well, I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. For what it's though, I do know that Kawi is known for long performing motors. If you're a Vtwin person, the fact that it is water cooled would be a positive discussion.